+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another anniversary!  (Read 698 times)

blinky

Another anniversary!
« on: November 06, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
Today is my four year anniversary for bilateral hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross. How time flies!

The short update is that everything is going well. I run, I swim, I dance, I climb, I walk, I do everything I want to do. Other body parts are wearing out and giving me trouble, but not my hips. The biggest roadblock to my improving continues to be time to train. Because I feel so good, I am out there working, traveling, studying, living a rich and full life.

The longer update is that I ran three half marathons last year and became a regular at a Boot Camp type class that featured burpees, TRX, and squats. I am still not a fast runner, but am a "normal slow" runner as a opposed to a super slow/just finish runner in the half distance. Best of all, it is not a big deal for me to run that far. I bounce back quickly and my parts feel good afterwards. In those Boot Camp classes, I am the oldest participant, but can keep up with the young folks. I feel like I am still improving and getting stronger.

Set backs? I do tend to overdo things. I had a Zumba period in which I tweaked a knee. I did dance and cheer as a girl, so I was thrilled to be able to jump and kick and undulate again. I did too much and got hurt. Aaargh! I have to build my ability to make lateral movements and to hop on one foot. In the meantime, no more Zumba for me. I also fell for the first time. I think we all fear that first fall and wonder if our hips will hold up. I fell dramatically, trekking across a glacier wearing crampons. My feet got tangled with my laces and with my husband's too close feet and I went down hard and awkwardly. I had a cut on my leg and a big bruise. It was cold enough I didn't notice all that until I got home. But I didn't break! Okay, so I also slammed hard into an ice wall when ice climbing on that same trip. One foot came loose from the wall and so I hit the wall sideways and again awkwardly. There was a crowd watching (of course) and they gasped. The hip survived that, too.

I am delighted that I can keep trying new things and going to new places. I am grateful that some of the old things I enjoyed before arthritis are in my repertoire again. My average run is four to five miles. I take the stairs. I park far away from the entrance rather than circle the parking lot for a good spot. That trip when I fell? I also out hiked my twenty-something sons every single day. Going forward I need to keep working on lateral motion. As I get older, I can't take for granted my ability to do things without training or staying in shape. (The main benefit of those classes? Consistent ab and glute work. And when I keep those parts strong I feel better and perform better.)

Thanks again to Pat and to everyone who went before me and posted here.

Tri Hard Alan

Re: Another anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »
Well done Blinky.

Always look out for your updates as your surgery was close too mine.

Definately agree keeping other muscles strong and flexible helps the hip  and od course in general.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
Congrats blinky ! Now if you can just survive your other activities, but at least the hips are good.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PMac

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:28 PM »
Congrats Blinky

Always felt close to you as we had our ops so close together. Glad it’s all going well.
Age 46, LBHR 54mm head 13th Nov 2015 by Mr Stephen Eastaugh-Waring, Spire hospital, Bristol UK

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »
Gosh, I guess that means my 4 year anniversary is coming up soon, too. Congratulations. I feel the same as you. My resurfaced hip is perfect. It could not be any better. I can't wait to have my left hip done to match.

Matty S

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »
Congrats...Well Done!!

Joe_CA

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »
That's great to hear blinky. You and Quig, both bilateral patients of Dr. Gross, were huge inspirations for me. Here's to your continued success.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »
Congratulations Blinky! Great to hear how well you are doing. That's the way it should be - back to the active life you love.
Thanks so much for sharing your anniversary and all the great posts you have made in the past to help people.

I wish you the very best and look forward to reading about more of your anniversaries!
Pat
PS. Send me a photo of you running or working out!  Great to have photos! Especially of women. You can also post it in the gallery.  https://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?action=gallery
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:28:41 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz