+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 20 weeks' post op, first 13 mile run.  (Read 849 times)

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
20 weeks' post op, first 13 mile run.
« on: February 26, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
I managed to run 13 miles today albeit rather slowly (2.40 hours). The resurfaced hip was uncomfortable and sensitive and the end of it. It feels like muscular sensations (not pain, just strained and warm). I have to admit it was too far too soon so I will not be repeating this distance until I am confident I can do it without issues. Still not gained full range of motion however I am more than pleased with my progress (especially at 63 years' old). I will continue with my 40 to 45 miles a week however still very slowly for another 2 weeks! 10 or 11 miles seems to be the longest I can run before discomfort.

jimbone

Re: 20 weeks' post op, first 13 mile run.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:36 AM »
Your athleticism is far above the mean average and I respect your dedication to your sport.  Seems as though running is particularly impact prone.  Never really a runner myself, we're the same age.  There was no way I was even jogging at 20 weeks.  About a month ago- at about 18 months post bilateral- I hiked/jogged a 1.5 mile trail with minor elevation for the  3rd time with any comfortable results.  Didn't bother to time such a puny endeavor but was so relieved that my hip FINALLY didn't hurt after putting it through some paces.  The difference will be in our conditioning/focus as we are about the same age.  It's so rewarding to regain our physical freedom again and it sounds like you are finding yours.  I found pushing it beyond expectations most often helped, but cautiously and with awareness of the effect and not of the memory/expectation of past events.  13 miles in 2.4 hours is an accomplishment for anyone 5 months out of major surgery.  Congtratulations.

petemeads

Re: 20 weeks' post op, first 13 mile run.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 03:27:03 AM »
Hi autoazure - I was running 5k at 8 weeks or so and did not start adding distance until nearly 6 months, by which time it was flat & gentle 10k - 15k jogs along the canal/river. The hip would feel sore afterwards but the main reason not to build distance was the other hip was getting more painful.
At 50 weeks I ran 13.2 miles in 2:01 as a training run, age 64, (so I could tell my surgeon at my annual checkup) but that ruined my 5k racing speed for several weeks... That was my longest run until quite recently, having had the other hip replaced with ceramic bearings and going through the recovery process again with a couple of setbacks. Latest 13.1 run was on the treadmill, again in 2 hours, age 69, both hips now working well. Time to try a race!
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear