+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fairly large flattish swollen raised area 5 weeks post-op  (Read 770 times)

bcmaughan

Fairly large flattish swollen raised area 5 weeks post-op
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
Hi All,

I had an Adept resurfacing implant 5 weeks ago with Mr Eastaugh Waring in Bristol. I was told the operation all went well. Recovery has been a little tougher than I was expecting. I was one of the unlucky ones with a lot of swelling and bruising around the site unfortunately. This has largely gone down now. I am able to get around with no crutches or sticks and can walk 2 km or so. I wouldn't say I have huge pain but am having some issues I wonder if anyone can help with. I get the clunking sound that I have read about on here quite a lot. Not really painful but just a bit annoying and seems more regular than many others  have read about who just get it occasionally. My biggest problem though is that it feels like I have a large inert flattish lump underneath the scar at the bottom. It kind of feels like I have a small cushion under my skin or something like that and it definitely is uncomfortable enough to stop me walking smoothly. I tried to massage it out a bit last night to feel what was really going on. I don't think it is just scar tissue as I have that at various points along the scar and seems different. This is a patch mainly below the scar area on the outside of hip at the bottom of the incision. It is quite visible in the mirror as a large raised lump. The skin over the whole area feels quite numb. The patch is about 10cm long by about 5cm wide. After massaging it and doing some standing sideleg raises with an elastic band this morning it seems to have flared something up a bit and walking is now very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had anything like this or any idea what it might be and if it is something to be concerned about? I have a review with the surgeon in 10 days or so. Thanks in advance.

jimbone

Re: Fairly large flattish swollen raised area 5 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:28:35 AM »
Hello-
At 5 weeks we're mostly just getting our feet under us.  One common rule of thumb is 1 mile  unaided at 6 weeks which seemed like a natural progression for me.  At 5 weeks- even if it seems a small interval- there is still so much surgical trauma to heel- and for many that includes the incision scar- I wouldn't be to worried, it isn't uncommon to see big leaps in healing after many weeks of small improvements.  You'll likely go through several other concerning evolution's of tissue discomfort.  Best course of action appears to be consistent exercise and physically challenging the hip with a gentle progression increase in activity, using common sense and listening to your body's responses to alter your exercise.  Best to discuss all the issues and concerns with your surgeon at your upcoming consultation, just keep in mind just about all of us worried the stitches off ourselves during recovery that we'd swatted it or something.  You'll most undoubtedly be fine but run it past your doctor.  Best wishes.

bcmaughan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:10:44 AM »
Thanks for reply jimbone. Very tender and sore on the outside of hip today where I mentioned. I think I had possible been too enthusiastic with the resistance band leg raises yesterday and flared it up. So it's making me limp a bit today so a day of taking it easy I think. I think I am one of the impatient ones in denial of how big a trauma it's been and I am just trying to pretend everything is back to normal when it's clearly not anywhere near yet!

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
I still had a cane with me most of the time at 5 weeks on both hips.  Didn't need it as often with the first hip- but it was still 6 weeks before I could do a mile unaided.  With the 2nd hip it was 7 weeks before I could do a mile unaided and even then IIRC needed a minute rest at 3/4 mile mark.  I never really felt frustrated with recovering- just too damn grateful to be out of pain and just knowing I was getting better with every day's improvements kept it such a positive experience.  Band walking is real good as well.  Clamshells probably without the band for now were/are real helpful.  I wasn't ready for more than partial squats until 3-4 months.  Balancing on one leg at a counter to start and then without helped a lot as well, both to build balance and strengthen tissues, also seemed like the weight bearing of one legged standing advanced healing as well.  At this point doing squats on the Bosu ball is a regular part of my work out since about the 6 month mark and has been very beneficial recuperating the many smaller muscles of the glutes and legs.  Many doctors recommend walking as the best exercise and regaining that ability has been a great pleasure.  It takes a while but you'll get there.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear