+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing for woman  (Read 895 times)

Margie

Hip resurfacing for woman
« on: March 01, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
March 17th is my 10 year anniversary with no pain due to resurfacing of my right hip. It was recalled a couple years ago and when I went in to see the doctor he said as long as I was not having issues it was fine, which I knew already and would never have it removed. It has changed my life, taking away pain.
 My left hip is now in pain and I was told by my doctor that I will never see resurfacing again for woman in my life time. So now I am just waiting until I can no longer function before I get a total replacement. I was so spoiled by the resurfacing and have never had an issue with it, I even forget it is there.
Has anyone ever heard this before? Do I have the option of another resurfacing somewhere else?
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip resurfacing for woman
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »
Hi Margie
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary.
Women can still have hip resurfacing with a device different than a BHR. There are a smaller number of experienced surgeons doing hip resurfacing for women, but it is still possible.  For instance Dr. Gross uses the Biomet, Dr. Pritchett uses the Synvo Preserve and several other surgeons I believe are using the Biomet in the US.  The overseas surgeons are still doing women with the Wright C+ and other devices.  There are also trials going on for the H1 ceramic on ceramic and Dr. De Smet is using the ReCerf ceramic on ceramic in Africa.  There are other options being developed, but take time to arrive in the US.  Here is the list of experienced surgeons. You can email them with a copy of your x-rays in a digital format and get their opinions for free.  Can't beat that.
https://surfacehippy.info/hip-resurfacing-doctors-over-1000-hip-resurfacing-surgeries/
I hope I will be able to add another hip resurfacing to your story. If not many people are still very active with THRs.  Just make sure you get a large ball version and make sure you will have no restrictions.
I wish you the very best.
Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Margie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
Thank you so much for the information Pat. Things in medicine change quickly and I am so glad there are other options and hopefully more on the way. Advil keeps the pain down pretty well, unless I over do.
I am forever grateful to my orthopedic surgeon that told me about resurfacing 10 years ago and to you for this wonderful, helpful site that helped me through it. You have helped so many become pain free.
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 09:01:32 PM »
Yes, as Pat says there are surgeons performing hip resurfacing on women, even if the pool is more limited for us. I am a satisfied patient of Dr. Pritchett.

Optimistic

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
Hi Margie, Yes, you still have options.  I just traveled from Ohio to SC to have my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Thomas Gross.  He is amazing and I would highly recommend him.  He does phone consults so you could always send him your info/xrays and speak with him over the phone to get his advice.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
Hi Margie,
I am female with a resurfaced left hip and a THR right hip. Some of the doctors already mentioned will advise whether you are still a candidate for resurfacing. Gender alone is not the deal breaker. That being said, if you decide to go with a THR, there is absolutely no reason to wait until you can't function. The current components last a very long time. In the past, patients were told to wait as long as they could. Not anymore. Plus your recovery from surgery will be way faster if your muscles are still in good shape. I have been very happy with the results of both surgeries and am as active as I wish to be (but I'm not an extreme athlete).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:12:58 AM by Saddlepal3 »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal