+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: how diligent with tbe TEDS  (Read 2632 times)

ahershberger

how diligent with tbe TEDS
« on: August 24, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Tomorrow begins week 4 of recovery and I have done well with wearing my TED hose.  I believe I am to wear them for 6 weeks and have done pretty well up to now but as I become more active outside the house, I am less reluctant to wear them for obvious reasons. I wondered if even wearing them mostly at nights is helpful enough????
Thanks for any input and yes I do realize they are to help prevent blood clots.
Alison

brett

Re: how diligent with tbe TEDS
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
Allison

My Doctor told me to wear mine 24/7 for three weeks and continue coumadin blood thinning pills for the same length of time.I guess they are all different with there protocol.Give him a call.

Im on day 13 and still hurting a lot and taking meds.How where you doing at that stage ?

Brett

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
I was told I did not have to use TEDS outside the hospital.  I am on day 11 and are still taking blood thinner injections for 3 more days.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

ahershberger

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
Brett:
I am a week ahead of you and have only used a cane for almost 2 weeks.  However, today I needed it more for my non-operated hip.  (I will be having my left hip done on Dec. 15)  I haven't had much pain walking however I have picked up my activity and noticed a little side pain (not groin) on my operated hip and am praying it isn't the start of bursitis.  Supposedly it isn't unusual for that to happen...My biggest complaint right now is getting comfortable when I sleep at night. I so want to sleep on my right side and have been even though I probably shouldn't be.

If it makes you feel better, I have only in the last 5 days gotten off the Vicoden and switched to Extra Strength Tylenol.  I refilled my prescription and pretty much went through the 2nd bottle.  I might have stayed on even longer but it was too constipating!

So don't worry that the pain is still there.  I too have quite a bit of pain if 4 hours goes by and I haven't had my Tylenol!
Good luck.
Alison

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
TEDS - some doctors use them and some don't.

You need to do what your own doctor suggests.  I wore them for 14 days.  I took them off at night when I had pillows under my legs to keep them higher than my head.  They you don't normally need them.  But again, listen to your own doctors recovery protocol.

I have some good info about TEDS and blood clot info here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bloodclotinfo.php

THere have been medical tests that show the TEDS do help, so I believed the article and my doctor - wore them as suggested.

There have been a handful of hip resurfacing patients that have had blood clots and almost died.  They had posted their stories on the Yahoo Group. They can happen, it is a real problem for some people.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ginnie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
I was told to wear them 24/7 for 3 weeks with 2 30 minute breaks during the day ( I only did one,, I couldnt see putting my husband through trying to get those things on my leggs more then once a day) ,, then I wore them only at night for a week, now I just put one on my surgical leg at night,, I walk around without them during the day. hope that helps.

Buddy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 12:56:03 AM »
My doctor (James Pritchett, Seattle) recommends TEDS for two weeks post op, while injecting Lovenox daily. You can take them off for an hour or so a day. It's a major hassle, but I did it for my first resurfacing July 1, 2008, and had no complications, and I have 5 days left wearing this pair of TEDS, and while I dearly want to rip them off (they itch, and someone has to help you put them on and take them off usually) I'm going to do what the doc says!  It's better than the alternative-- throwing a clot!

bothdone

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »
I wore mine for six weeks for both of my BHRs.    I did not take any blood thinning medication.    I worked on the idea that six weeks discomfort is a very small price to pay for the long term benefits of the BHRs and a small insurance to pay against blood clots.  It was a pleasure to get rid of them!

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz