+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems  (Read 1931 times)

BKB41

3 months post op with MAJOR problems
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »
I am 3 months post Right hip resurfacing with biomet cap. Have significant hip history with labrum repair, labrum reconstruction, and iliopsoas tendon release surgeries.  Been having issues with my rehab and progression. Truly, I'm worse now than I was before any of my surgeries (4 major hip surgeries is just TOO much) All was well with this surgery until week 6 or so when stretching increased. 

My main issue with my hip was a sharp, shooting groin pain with certain movements.  Previous surgeon blamed it on iliopsoas, so elected to have that tendon released on 12/24/19. Resurfacing was 6/15/2020 at Cleveland Clinic. My ROM and quality of life at 3 months is poor, to be honest  Can do certain activities, but going on walk longer than 1/4 mile is too much. Can't chase my 2 young daughters around due to current issues. 

The groin pain has since returned (even before my hip resurfacing was done).  The pain used to happen with external rotation of my hip. Now I've identified a new way that this pain occurs/snaps. While supine, and doing right hip flexion, with ANY movement of my knee towards midline, I get significant resistance as well as that sharp pain in my inner groin. Once this pain occurs, it ruins my day. Very bad aching in my groin, greater trochanter, butt, etc. 

You could say, "well just avoid that stretch all together and you'll be fine", but it happens much more frequently than that. I've been trying to get in front of the doctor but it is very difficult at this time. Current thought is that my hip bone is seeding into my implant. But I was having this pain prior to replacement, so not sure about that.  Was also told it could be my psoas tendon regenerating and it's getting in the way... so injections were mentioned (i've been through multiple iliospsoas injections with no relief, so I'm thinking it could be something else). Truly not sure what is going on.  Was told to go back on crutches for 2-3 weeks with 75% partial weight bearing.

Anyone have any input or thoughts.?!  I'm a Registered Nurse, and have been out of work since July 2019 (that was labrum reconstruction surgery), and have been steadily declining with every surgery since.  Thought for a while it could be a sports hernia, but that thought was shut down.

Would love input...hope...anything at this point.

Thanks everyone

ahausheer

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 01:18:14 AM »
This is the best groin examination/diagnostic video I have ever seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQSl7NR_mk&ab_channel=Aspetar%D8%B3%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%AA%D8%A7%D8%B1

It might help, seems like some doctors are just at a loss regarding unusual groin pain/deep pelvic issues.  I see you said a sports hernia was ruled out, but its possible it was overlooked.

I also had multiple surgeries/hip issues prior to resurfacing. I think we also probably had the same surgeon for resurfacing. At 3 months I was still deep in recovery and limping with mild discomfort. Don't be fooled by all the rapid recovery stories on here. Many people take time to heal and obvious improvements are frequently reported out to 2 years.

Somewhere around perhaps 4 months I also developed burning type pain in the inner thigh/groin area with similar movement as you describe. It took daily stretching and about 10 months and it slowly went away (for the most part), but sometimes it comes back a little. It was so constant and so bad for so long, I thought for sure it was a permanent condition. Don't give up, I believe you will recover.

I personally would push for injections, not with steroids, but with an analgesic, to be used as a diagnostic tool only. Might help isolate the structure or which nerve is involved. Radio ablation of nerves can also be diagnostic.

Massages may have helped me as well.  I found a masseuse that was familiar with the psoas and might have been able to get to it from the front. In hindsight I suspect the massages slightly sped up my recovery.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:30:58 AM by ahausheer »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal