+-

Author Topic: First post on 6 month anniversary  (Read 63 times)

jesatlarge

First post on 6 month anniversary
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »
I have never posted before, but I wanted to make at least a small contribution to a board that was so influential in helping me make the (right) decision to go with resurfacing rather than replacement. I come from a medically oriented family of three RN's and one Dr, none of whom knew much of anything about resurfacing. It was an uphill battle to educate them ( and myself) but using this forum as a starting point, I soon ended up choosing Dr Gross for a host of reasons. Not the least of which was the fact that there was terrific online/telephone help from his staff...and since I live 12 timezones away, the logistics of this were not always easy. Also, Dr Gross personally called me several times and answered every question I had in his plain speaking, no BS manner. This, and his published results on his website, sealed the deal for me.

I am one of those people who are scared to death of hospitals. I truly get nervous a week in advance thinking about simply having blood drawn. White coat syndrome in full. But his team made the whole process MUCH less worrisome and painless than I ever could have possibly imagined. And although the recovery was no walk in the park it was not the long term slog I was dreading. I could generally feel myself progressing bit by bit most days; and that was encouraging.

So I am a 61 yr old male who was bone on bone, but still able to do a decent amount of biking and fitness activities prior to surgery. I even had a very good workout in the Mariott gym the day before my surgery that made me think about calling the whole thing off! So I encourage one and all to do their due diligence and take a close look at resurfacing. It has given me ( and my family, who say I was one miserable SOB in the year before surgery)  a new lease on life. I celebrated my 6 month anniversay with a 1500 meter swim and a thousand stair climb with a 20lb pack. Although I am told complete healing may take a year or even more, I have no pain at all other than occasional very light soreness in the incision area. No functional limitations, and a new positive attitude towards the future.

So thanks to Pat and all who post here!! You do a great service for so many of us when we really need it. One last bit of advice. If you are having trouble deciding between resurfacing and normal replacement visit a regular replacement  doc. Ask to see and hold that big piece of metal that is going to permanently reside inside your thighbone. I did,  and it was the last nail in the replacement coffin.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: First post on 6 month anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »
I am so happy the website helped you with your decision about hip resurfacing.  It is an uphill battle for most people. So much negativity from the surgeons and media.  When many surgeons were trying to do hip resurfacing and had bad results, that negative media took over the whole hip resurfacing reputation. Also many surgeons don't do it because it is more difficult than a THR and feel it is not important to learn.
But, as we know, it can be a great alternative to a total hip replacement.  I am glad you found Dr. Gross, he certainly is one of the very best in the hip resurfacing community.  I think it is great how he calls people.  You can email most of the top surgeons and they will talk with you via email, which is better than most regular orthopedics.
I wish you the very best on your recovery. Sounds like you are doing really well and getting back to a normal, pain free life.  I look forward to more updates in the future.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Blurry vision post-op by rday12
June 29, 2020, 10:45:58 PM

Re: Blurry vision post-op by Pat Walter
June 29, 2020, 04:36:07 PM

Blurry vision post-op by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:41:11 PM

Re: 6 days post op how much swelling? by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats