+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral resurfacing with Dr. De Smet Jan 21st ceramic on ceramic  (Read 1110 times)

Hipmom

Hello, I am new to this site. I just booked bilateral resurfacing using ceramic components with Dr. De Smet for January 21st and I must say I am freaking out a bit.  I am a 51 year old female and used to be a triathlete.  I am traveling from the west coast of Canada so it’s a long flight and not an inexpensive proposition.  Anyone have any words of wisdom to assuage my fears?  I have had a few people question my choice to have this procedure over a THR here at home. 

jimbone

Re: Bilateral resurfacing with Dr. De Smet Jan 21st ceramic on ceramic
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:14:35 PM »
Hipmom-

All I've read about DeSmet has been overwhelmingly positive- he is one of the most noted surgeon doing hip resurfacing and you should be in the best of care.  I've also read his recovery protocols and surgical facilities are state of the art and designed for the most comfortable and smoothest initial recovery.  That said, and seeing from your other post you are from Vancouver Island, I wonder if you've looked into Dr. Pritchett of Seattle WA.  He is also one of the world's leading ortho surgeons who has produced outstanding outcomes, is one of the most published surgeons in the field, has helped engineer new and successful implant devices and is recognized as a leader in hip resurfacing.  He has done any number of surgeries for Canadians I understand from reading here and is a great deal closer to your home.

His website is comprehensive and informative describing both his surgical techniques, implants available and his general philosophy toward his patients.  He was the surgeon I chose after an exhaustive search of available doctors when I was considering getting the procedure done and trying to choose between replacement and resurfacing.  I decided to go with Dr. Pritchett and resurfacing, had both hips done in 2018 over a 2 month span- 8 weeks between surgeries- and can say without any hesitation the procedures gave me back my life which given the advancement of my OA would have been functionally forfeited had I not gone forward.  The recoveries are challenging but really not that difficult and it is my perception that most people who choose resurfacing, especially those with an athletic back round such as yourself, do even better with recovery and it is easier for them.  I suspect the reasons for this are several, including better overall fitness levels going in- the soft tissue trauma of surgery has more and better support from trained muscles, they tend to be more highly motivated individuals in general and, importantly, their athletic training has already introduced them to many aches, pains, strains and minor traumas to the body for which they have developed coping mechanisms to overcome.

I would recommend researching Dr. Pritchett's practice at his website as a possible alternative to flying to Europe.  There have been other Canadians that managed to have him do their surgeries but I don't recall whether they were covered under Canadian health insurance or not.  I do know Dr. Pritchett's office staff was very adept in handling all of my insurance claims and issues and generally very effective in medical administration.

Whoever you ultimately choose to go with- either of these two surgeons are world class, recognized as the best in the field and both have tremendous statistical outcomes.  The pre-surgical nervousness and concerns are really universal quite understandably, but when you know the procedures need to be done and your life really won't be livable without getting your hips repaired the decision becomes a little easier.  And one of the best experiences you will have is when you wake up in recovery immediately after your surgery you will find the OA pain that has besieged you is gone, just like that.  There will be some muscle/soft tissue discomfort that is easily medicated, but the bone on bone torture will be a thing of the past.  It really is one of the most successful surgeries of the 21st Century and your life will be altered positively in the most gratifying way.

I'll be going out this afternoon to do some trail jogging/hiking [I'm no triathlete] and having just past my 2nd anniversary for bilateral surgery I still can't shake my sense of gratitude for getting my life back.  Very best of luck and keep us informed.

Hipmom

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
Thank you so much! I will check out his website.  I am glad to hear you are doing so well and hope you enjoyed that run! 

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 02:14:10 PM »
Also note that he performs resurfacing on women. He did the resurfacing of my right hip five years ago, and I shall soon be consulting with him to resurface my left.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat