+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 43 Male UK - Hip Impingment - hoping a HR can be done..  (Read 595 times)

Alex43

43 Male UK - Hip Impingment - hoping a HR can be done..
« on: May 04, 2021, 12:38:47 PM »
Hello Hippies
Great to have found you and thanks so much to Pat for all the info and bringing everybody together.

I've had a look through the forum to see if there are any threads related to me and my situation but if you know of any it'd be great to get a link....

So I have been diagnosed with a femoro acetabular impingment in my left hip, severe tear of the labrum. I've been suffering with groin strain after walks for a couple of years so this was why! I have had 2 steroid injections, the first lasting 9 months and the 2nd only 3 months. The pain has been quite acute, like an electric shock down the outside of my leg as it gives way, Im then laid up for a few days. I've also been on Naproxen for the last year to deal with the pain. Early onset arthiritis and the severity of the tear means arthroscopy is not possible.

I've been given the option of having a THR (within the next 6 months) or being referred to a surgeon mentioned on here several times (with glowing reviews) who offers HR. Although the pain can be bad I don't feel ready for a THR and being young I want to preserve as much bone as possible as I may need it for THR (+ revision) when I get older.

So reading all your stories I feel I am heading along the right path.

My concern is that a referral and the added wait might be in vain as I might not be physically eligable so are there any conditions reasons why I wouldn't be able to get HR? I've read of gaps and head sizes being a problem...although dont understand what these are. Are there others? What reasons have surgeons given for not being able to do a HR and therefore reverting to a THR?

Thanks again and all the best

Alex

jimbone

Re: 43 Male UK - Hip Impingment - hoping a HR can be done..
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 05:38:16 PM »
Alex-

Only the surgeons that do HR would be able to tell you if you are a candidate.  Generally they can make that assessment by viewing your imaging.  I believe both Dr. Pritchett and Dr. Gross have done this for a number of forum participants and there are likely other top notch surgeons that could as well.  Your best course of action would probably be to get your imaging to them, find out if you'd be eligible for HR and take it from there.  You'd know if you're a good candidate and approximately how long you'd have to wait, you could research their different devices, surgical approaches, reputations and success rates -all of them are stellar but you will find comfort in confirming that for yourself.  Best of luck and keep us informed.

MarvinB

Re: 43 Male UK - Hip Impingment - hoping a HR can be done..
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:14:11 AM »
Hi, Alex!  Welcome!

FAI victim myself, and I suffered for over 4 years.  My mantra was “pain lets you know you’re alive.”  I almost let it go too far and THR would have been my only option.  Jimbone is spot on:  get your imaging to one of the great docs mentioned here and see what your options are FIRST.  You don’t have to commit to anything, just don’t rule anything out.  At 43, you should definitely look into resurfacing and keep total hip in your back pocket (pun intended!).  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 09:32:16 AM by Arthur Plastie »
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
-LH (scheduled 6/10/24)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM