+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Starting to Run [4 Months after Resurfacing]  (Read 1067 times)

BionicHip

Starting to Run [4 Months after Resurfacing]
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »
An update on my progress up to 4 months since my Hip Resurfacing

[April 20th - 3 months after Hip Resurfacing]

- walking 3 or 4 times a week & weights 2 or 3 times a week
- was doing some fast walking with poles up to this date
- Started doing some light running WITHOUT poles
- usually went about 3 to 5k with some fast running spurts
- few days in tried easy running without walk breaks but it was too much
- if I tried to increase my stride length there was pain on inside of groin
- for a few days I would limp a little just after starting to walk ... then back to normal
- made decision to do more walking than running - do not want to damage hip

[April 28th - wiped out on my bike]
- looked behind me for too long: when I looked forward saw garbage cans but could not swerve around them and fell
- it was lucky that I did NOT fall on my resurfaced hip
- had some scrapes and my left shoulder and right hand sustained some injuries
- did not cycle again until May 16th

[May 5th - speed test]
- went for a walk/run and felt really good
- started with a 1 km walk and then wanted to see if I could break 6 minutes for a 1 km run
- did a 5:38 for 1 km [new record post hip resurfacing]
- there was mild pain afterwards and I have not tried another 1 km speed test since then

[May 20th - 4 months after Hip Resurfacing]
- less than 4 years ago I was able to run a 5k under 20 minutes but by then osteoarthritis had already started
- hopefully I can get under 25 minutes for 5k if I heal well [aging also takes it's toll]
- my challenge is to increase my stride length - may take some time because my leg was probably adapted to limping
- would like to run some road races again but even if I can't I am grateful to have had my hip resurfaced
- it is still unbelievable how normal my hip feels

If it was not for this website I never would have had my hip resurfaced.  Hip Resurfacing is a risk but so is Hip Replacement.  It is up to everybody to do their own due diligence and do what is appropriate for them.  My Hip Resurfacing is still not totally healed but so far so good.

I really appreciate this website and all of the guidance it provided me.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:18:37 PM by BionicHip »
Right Hip Resurfaced at age 62
Adept MoM: Head=54mm / Cup=60mm
Dr. Koen De Smet

petemeads

Re: Starting to Run [4 Months after Resurfacing]
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 04:28:58 AM »
Hi Bionic - sounds like you are doing OK and it won't be long before sub-25 mins 5k. I looked back through my Garmin account to see where I was at this stage, it turns out that I was just about to run 25:11 and it took another month to get below 25 mins regularly. I didn't have a 5k PB when I was a runner because I never raced the distance - I got into running from the marathon end - but my parkrun PB from 2011 age 60 is 22:03. Managed 23:27 a couple of months ago, age 70 - and both my hips are bionic now, just had the 4th anniversary of my  right THR. Not sure you want to deliberately increase stride length at this stage, I went for low impact and faster cadence to mitigate the risk of loosening the implant. Good luck with your recovery, It sounds like you have the sense to back off if it hurts!

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

BionicHip

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 06:48:03 PM »
Pete,

You are posting some amazing times with both bionic hips and for your age group.  You must have a lot of natural talent.

I like your strategy of trying a faster cadence rather than increasing the stride length.  I will give that a try and hopefully in time my stride length will increase naturally.

Thanks,

Ernie
Dr. Koen De Smet

LDub

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
Hey BionicHip

Glad to hear everything is progressing well. Nice to see you are both biking and running after 3 months or so. Make sure you keep the rubber side down on that bike  ;). How does your hip feel after biking? Can you tell a difference between your hips? I assume it's road biking? How far/often have you been riding? Do you feel anything in your hips after riding?

Cheers.
24/09/2021  RBHR (ReCerf CoC) Koen De Smet Age 60

BionicHip

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 01:20:35 PM »
LDub,

Yes, just road cycling.  I would prefer easy trail riding but most of the people I ride with like the road cycling.  Have only been riding 4 times and I generally ride less than 35k.  Getting on and off the bike is no problem and I can stand on the pedals when going up steep hills.  Even after riding the hip just feels normal.  My resurfaced hip feels just like my normal hip ... amazing!

The only negative issue I have had would have been my incision looks a little wider [probably from "spitting stitches"] and has not yet blended in with my skin tone.  From checking "Dr. Google" apparently this can take up to a year.  Do not really care about the cosmetics.

Ernie

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:16:38 PM by BionicHip »
Dr. Koen De Smet

LDub

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »
Hey BionicHip

Nice to hear you are doing substantial mileage already. Even better to hear getting on and off is not a problem. That is the biggest issue I have with riding at the moment. If I didn't have a dropper post I have to use a ladder :).

Cheers
24/09/2021  RBHR (ReCerf CoC) Koen De Smet Age 60

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat