+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 Weeks Post-Op - Starting to walk without sticks  (Read 1104 times)

StuMcBill

5 Weeks Post-Op - Starting to walk without sticks
« on: June 15, 2021, 06:34:12 AM »
Hi,

I am now 5 weeks post BHR (right hip), and as per my physio, I now have to walk in the house (and outside, taking my stick with me) without sticks.

As my hip was arthritic for +/-10 years prior to this op, I have been walking with a strong lean to the right - right leg was shorter than left, and I was obviously compensating.

My physio has told me to clench my right buttock as my right foot touches down to try and compensate for this and eventually fix this - but I just wondered if anyone had any tips or tricks they have learned over the years to straighten yourself up when first coming off your walking aids?

Thanks,
Stu

jimbone

Re: 5 Weeks Post-Op - Starting to walk without sticks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 11:19:38 AM »
Hi Stu-

Re-strengthening the glute muscles after surgery took some time for me as well.  I did glute squeezes, holding for 10 seconds each morning before getting out of bed to begin.  I also found walking the steep hill on my street beneficial for that after about the 6 week mark.  Getting the glutes and rotators stretched out after surgery took several more months.  Might look at the "Baby Pose" and see what your PT has to say about that for stretching things back out.  The two- stretch and strength- went hand in hand for me but it took a while.  Early on I found standing on one leg in front of a counter for support when needed helped train the muscles back to a more secure level of balance that fire those same muscles to accomplish that and at 3 months or so started practicing regularly on the Bosu ball at the gym graduating to squats and eventually 1 legged partial squats did the glutes and rotators a lot of good.  Best of luck.

StuMcBill

Re: 5 Weeks Post-Op - Starting to walk without sticks
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 06:38:19 AM »
Thank you very much.

I'll have a look at the "baby pose" and run it past my Physio.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear