+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip resurfacing in India?  (Read 1697 times)

hipshot

hip resurfacing in India?
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »
looking at india for a hip resurfacing becuase OF SURGERY COSTS IN USA
sounds to good to be true anybody been there done that?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
Hi Hipshot

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Many people have gone to India and been very happy with their hip resurfacing surgery.

You can look at the many Dr. Bose stories  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Bose_Hip_Stories_

The complete trip and surgery can be done for about $10,000 to $12,000    It is a long plane ride, but many people had done it happily.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:29:35 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hipshot

Re: hip resurfacing in India?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:19:59 PM »
Wow
I can't believe the information and support I have gathered in the last 48hrs. I am in shock i would have never guessed that one that there was a cost effective option to my hip problems and then to put the icing on the cake a web site chalked full of information and very careing and helpful people.  My hats off to all involved it makes the the beginning of this journey not only real but I already feel I won't be alone.
"Hippy" I thought those were gone in the 60's
Hipshot
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:21:51 PM by hipshot »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
Hi

Many of us had to travel overseas before 2006 to get our hip resurfacings since the FDA had not approved it in the US. There were only a small handful of surgeons performing it in the US then.

Also the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons are overseas.  I choose Dr. De Smet of Belgium because I did not want to face the long plane ride to India. I thought the 8 1/2 hour plane trip was enough for me.  Dr. De Smet has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and at the time the US surgeons would not normally do a 61 year old female.  So even if I had insurance and could have had it done in the US, I probably would have found it difficult to find a surgeon.

So there many that have traveled and still do for a hip resurfacing.  The BHR was designed in the UK by Mr. McMinn and he has done thousands as well as Mr. Treacy having done 4000. 

So you can be sure that going overseas for a hip resurfacing is not a bad option.

Now many more people stay in the US because they have insurance and can use the US doctors. However, if you are like me and don't have any - hop a plane and use some of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the world.

We hope you will keep in touch and write a story about your trip when you finally decide to get your new hip.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hipshot

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:39 PM »
Thanks Pat
Well I am now just waiting for Dr. Bose to recieve my X Rays.
I do have some help making that happen.
I am going to see my GP to ask agian for some pain meds until my surgey. The Orthepedic surgery who took my X rays 6 months ago refused to prescibe any pain relievers other than a over the counter.
I hope to get something stronger since my pain is more severe the last few weeks.
He did offer a shot of cortizone and i declined.
Oh well that is when I didn't know anymore than he does about hip surgery and now I do.
His loss and my gain.
It has been comfort enough to read all the posts and testimonials.
The search for information has kept my mind off the pain and has been so over whelming that I don't have time to think about much else.
but I do need to get back to work next week and so I guess its time to bite the bullet.
Thanks agian for your help and the others that have pm me with info and support.
Hipshot.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat