+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Active Implants" Device  (Read 4461 times)

Jon44

"Active Implants" Device
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »
I'm a prospective hip resurfacer (actually have a date scheduled for September at HSS), but am getting cold feet.  Besides the risk of dislocation with my mildly dysplastic hip (an issue not addressed satisfactorly by the surgeon, IMHO), I just can't get over a perhaps irrational fear of metal ions. 

(And I've read through all the past posts and information--I respect the fact that no clear links have been made to any cancers or anything, but, like I said, my fears may just be irrational.)

In any case, I just ran across a press release on "Hip Resurfacing News" about Active Implants.  They are offering some sort of polycarbonate based material that has already been approved for use "in all of Europe."  I'm surprised I've never run across this before and just wondered if anyone had any info to share??

Here's first paragraph from "Hip Resurfacing News"::
Monday, January 28. 2008Link  http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=100097

Though the Birmingham hip is considered the industry standard, founders of another Memphis company, Active Implants Corp., said they believe they can play leapfrog with hip resurfacing using an advanced polymer first developed for Israeli Navy boat hulls.

"We're now approved in all of Europe," said Stephen Bradshaw, president and CEO of Active Implants. "We start hip surgery this week in Germany, Italy, Greece and Israel. My technology will not be available in the U.S. for quite a while, and we already have patients planning to go to Europe to get it done."

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:03:40 PM by Jon44 »

stevenp

Re: "Active Implants" Device
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »
I don't know the details of this material, but it sounds like there is almost no track record for its use in hip implants, esp. long-term data. It sounds like they have been using this for less than half a year, if that. I find that scarier (the devil you don't know). As an example, many people thought low-friction polyethylene linings in implants were da bomb, but longer-term data revealed that the wear led to implant loosening and many failures. No one is sure how these polycarbonate implants will hold up long-term.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
As a career journalist and now PR consultant, I can tell you that it's risky to believe corporate boasts in a press release or news article about a new product. I would check peer-reviewed medical journals and get verified long-term data before making any snap decisions.
- Tom

Jon44

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
Thanks, these are sensible ideas.

For me it's not so much whether I should switch all my plans to this new device, but whether or not its worth it to hold out for a few years before resurfacing  The argument for holding out would seem to be hoping for some amazing breakthrough or getting more data/track record on devices trying to supplant BHR.

The calculous quickly gets very complicated--e.g., is it worth it to give up tennis for 5 years in exchange for 5 more years of data on C+ devices?   (All this type of stuff puts me into a confused, fugue-like state }:  )

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
My feeling is that you can always wait for something better, but to me it was not worth any more pain/limping/agony/loss of flexibility/gaining weight/inability to participate in activities I loved.
I guess you could call it the tipping point. Only you can answer the question - is it worth the wait?
To me, the answer was NO!
All the best - Tom

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »
Hi Jon

That article is very interesting.  The problem with our medical system and the FDA is that everything takes a much longer time to be approved in the US.  The rest of the world was doing hip resurfacing for over 9 years before we decided to use it in the US. 

So even if there are cutting edge technologies and cartilage growth projects - it is years away from being available in the US. 

Even when these are available, then you have to worry about using experienced doctors for the procedure.  The US just approved artificial disc surgery not long ago, but if you want the really experienced surgeons you fly over to Germany. 

So we can read about all the new projects and new hip devices, but they are years away from being available here.  Sounds if they are working overseas, more people will have to start traveling again like we did to get our BHRs.

It is really up to you about how long you want to wait.  Most of us just got tired of sitting on the side lines and watching life pass us by.  So we opted for the best current solution - hip resurfacing.  It is a personal decision when to get a bum hip fixed and what doctor/device is best for you.

Good luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
Hi Jon,

I also have surgery scheduled with Dr. Su on Sept 29.  When are you scheduled?  I want the BHR, Birmingham Hip Resurfacing, because it has a 10 year plus successful track record and it is approved by the FDA in the US (2006).
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Jon44

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
Thanks again for the helpful and supportive comments.

I've decided to delay my surgery until the spring and see how I manage over the winter modifiying my activities and getting more diagnostics.  (So, BTW, this opens up a slot with Dr. Su on September 19 for anyone interested--I wish I could have given them 4 weeks notice, so hopefully the slot will get filled.)

In my case, it feels too risky to go forward without a clear diagnosis on lumbar v. hip issues.

Pat, your comment about getting tired of watching life go by from the sidelines is right on the money, and seems like a good guideline for deciding when to take action.

Best,

Jon

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
Hi Jon

We all have to do what we think is right.  You are doing right to listen to your own feelings and thoughts.  You have to live with your body and the results of all your decisions.

I hope you can get the lumbar vs hip figured out.  So many of us had the same problem not knowing whether it was our hips or our backs.  I still have a lot of problems with my back even after my resurfacing.  Many doctors think your back problems will get better because you are walking more balanced after your recovery.  I still really have some bad bouts with my back when I manage to throw it out.

Good Luck and get back in touch with us when you decide to have your hip resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat