+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: viruses, and resurfacing  (Read 773 times)

zippymon213

viruses, and resurfacing
« on: October 03, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
Hi, my name is Jim. 10 years ago I had both hips resurfaced by Dr Pritchett in Seattle. Success story. Went on to bicycle across the Andes, hike the Great Himalayan trail and motorcycle throughout Mexico.  Never a glitch except for 3 events. All left my hips aching bilaterally for 2 days and then the symptoms just disappeared. All 3 events were tied simultaneously to an outbreak of a cold sore.(herpes simplex). Has anyone else experienced this type of hip pain related to a cold or infection and understand why it happpens? thanks, Jim

jimbone

Re: viruses, and resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 02:25:30 AM »
Jim-

Can't correlate soreness with infection.  Do however find forgoing regular stretching routines- regardless of exercise level or physical activity- will create indications of hip soreness that have always resolved themselves after resuming stretching.

Bilateral Pritchett patient, 3 year anniversary just past.  I look forward to some of the adventures/trails/hikes you've undertaken as soon as I ca get my retirement plans sorted out.

Sounds like you're doing great with more than a decade of successful recovery.  How long was the Himalayan Trail in terms of miles/elevations and days?  Need to look that one up- sounds exciting.

I did have a singular shingles episode soon after my 2nd operation-like within 2 weeks.  Resolved itself with meds in another 10 days.  The two infections are related but have no idea how they relate to HR.  Herpes simplex occurrences can be related to stress and over exertion/ stressed immune system but never saw any studies relating it to HR surgery.

zippymon213

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:42:06 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. Somehow I feel like there is a correlation between the three episodes over 10 years but being neither an epidemiologist nor an orthopod I'm at a loss. I haven't changed my stretching routine since the resurfacing and the hip pain only happened with the herpes outbreak each time.
I've done  the Great Himalayan Trail in stages. Kachenjunga to the Solo Khumbu.  We were stopped by the earthquake from crossing Makalu and went down and around. Over Mera la, climbed Mera peak and then over the Ambu lapsa. We then did the 3 pass crossing near Everest and ended up at Namche.  Combined Langtang with Manaslu/Annapurna and did the Upper and lower Dolpo as a separate trip.  Last journey was a loop trip out of Jomsom up to Lo Manthong in upper Mustang. We headed east along the tibetian border, crossed a 20,000 ft pass and headed down to Naar/Manang before crossing Tilicho lake and the return to Jomsom. I have used the same sherpas for the entire route.  if you ever need a good contact get a hold of me, I'll be  going back next fall hopefully for my last legs of the GHT. cheers, Jim

LarryBud

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
Cool travels Jim.

I’m pleased that your redone hips can take those incredible journeys. 

To many more!

zippymon213

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 09:21:55 PM »
Thanks Larry,   Covid hasn't thrown me off traveling too much. Thank god for the wonderful country of Mexico.  I do hope to get back to the Himalayas before I ever have to get back to Dr Pritchett.   I sometimes wonder how long you get out of these metal on metal resurfacing. I gave up moguls and long runs in order to maximize funhog longevity.  I still am hoping someone can chime in with an answer to my original question.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »
I imagine you'd have better luck asking Dr. Pritchett.  Have you?  Did he have an opinion?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

zippymon213

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:39:30 PM »
I haven't contacted the office.  My first tendency is to do as much research as I can before going to the next level (which usually is a youtube fix it tutorial) After that I hesitate in paying physicians.  I admire Dr Pritchett but  without insurance I canvas the electronic world for answers. Of course for as many patients as I've sent him a freebie should  be in order.  :)

jimbone

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
You might try emailing Dr. Pritchett with the question.  It's possible he could answer your question in general terms and/or direct you to studies/published articles that discuss the issue.  The office would likely provide his email address if you don't have it already.

zippymon213

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 10:56:24 PM »
Thanks, I will follow up with that suggestion and give the office a call Monday.  It doesn't appear to be a widespread issue on this forum but one that can't be forgotten once those hips start screaming. Thanks everyone for the feedback, cheers and a good weekend for all.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear