+-

Author Topic: Hi! from Stockholm Sweden!  (Read 4618 times)

swedish hippy

Hi! from Stockholm Sweden!
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »
I hope you cna excuse my english...might have some spelling faults sometimes. ;D

Anyway I hade mi op on teusday 26 of Aug. My MD, Dr. Hakan Hedlund at Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm finally gave me what i wanted! I had gone to several other orthopedics and the message from them was mainly.."you are to young (60) and you are not in enough pain! Come back when it gets worse....now really!!!!!

Well ..so here I am....1 week post op, still in some pain, but not taking much medication during the day...trying to save the tender insides of my stomach that has had to digest alot om pills in the past as well. I also took glucosamine which has been alot of help.

Groin pain has set in....trying hard to stretch my psoas muscle without overdoing it. Sometimes I wonder if I dislocated the hip, cause it huirts momentarily like getting cut with a knife. Please tell me I am wrong!

I try to balance exercise and rest, eat well. drink alot of water.

I have vacuumed the internet...but still feel like I have a million questions. I am walking with both crutches...just letting go when in the kitchen when i have to fix food. Thats when I realise how happy I am about not having a huge kitchen....I can slide around holding on to the counter.

This was my first post...and I will be back!

Åse Columbus
Stockholm
Sweden 8)
Walking is heaven on earth.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hi! from Stockholm Sweden!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
Hi Ase

Welcome to Hip Talk.  We have a lot of people from all over the world visit here and post.

Congratulations on your new hip.  You are never to young to get a hip resurfacing if you are in a great deal of pain and your life has come to a standstill.  I was 61 when I had my hip resurfacing.

1 week post op is still very early in recovery.  You will get better in a few weeks.  You will still have a lot of pain so early on.

If you have dislocated your leg or hurt the new hip - it would hurt, hurt and hurt - really bad and just not stop.  Pain from a dislocation is terrible from what a few people have told me.

I am sure you are still feeling pain from your surgery.  If you are hurting, just take it easy.  I would not be doing a lot of stretching or exercising so early in your recovery.  I would only do what your doctor told you or your PT suggests.  Don't do anything extra now.

Some people do a lot of PT after surgery and some don't do any. Everyone still ends up in the same place many months post op - they have all recovered.  Walking is what most doctors suggest.  I was able to walk almost a mile a day with one crutch by about 13 days post op.  So you are still early in recovery.

Just take it easy and let your body heal.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

John P

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »
Hi Ase,

Just to let you know I was in a very simular situation to you after my hip resurfacing.
Groin Pain.. I also had all types of thoughts going through my head. Had I over done stretching and caused some permanent damage? Was the surgery carried out correctly?
Will I have to have a revision?

I am now just 3 months post op walking and moving fine, pain free. The groin pain you have sounds exactly like what I experienced in the first few weeks. It lasted for approx 6 to 7 weeks in total but decided to go nearly as quick as it arrived.

I am not sure what surgical approach you had. I had the anterior approach which may have been a reason. I don't really know.

I would like to reassure you that groin pain so early on can be normal in some people and should clear up soon. At three months I am back working as a soccer coach and have been involved in 4 matches so far with another one in Dublin on wednesday.

Ase, the one thing I learned from this surgery is to slow down and not to expect to much to soon. Your body will heal. It will take time. I was a slow healer but at 3 months feel my life is very much back on track. I even went to the travel agency last week and booked a family holiday to Australia for 4 weeks. I could never have even contemplated this before surgery as the pain ruled my life and thoughts.

Keep us posted and successful recovery.

John P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:33:04 PM by John P »

swedish hippy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:02:55 PM »
thanks for the reasuring replies!!!

I thought i might have done someting stupid while moving around...at one point i did internally rotate my leg...and a sharp pain immediatly kept me from moving any further.

The primary reason for my arthritis was a trauma that happend in 1996...on a slippery floor my right foot slid forward and the left didnt ...so I did the splits  with my left leg at an angle...ripping the labrum at the groin.

Throughout the years I have had increasing back pain and limp that made my hip area crooked. Then with an xray an ortopedic discovered the arthritis.

But I have been lucky and not had to resort to just pain pills...my ortopedic suggested yearly sessions of accupunkture and glucosamine instead...and it worked for quite a while....

But when my sleep was getting comprimised I decided to pursue an operation....discovered resurfacing and the race was on.

I am so glad that I met  Dr.Håkan Hedlund. :)

I will be posting my progress.

Again sorry about any spelling misstakes.

swedish hippy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:44:20 AM »
I saw soemwhere on this site a page that showed how NOT to have yr leg (toes inward) ..wanted to check it out again but I cant find it!!!!!

Today is friday, 11 days post op, and I guess I am getting better...but my stomach i so upset.....I mean that it "burns". I am guessing it is all the medication that I have taken.

And I am so tired....exhausted...doing to much?

I sweat at night ...every time I wake up (4-5 times) I have to switch sides on one of the 3 pillows that I keep in the bed....and turn the comforter over.

I think you can tell that I am having a "bad" day...a little depressed.

Sure would like to find that part about the positioning of the feet.

Åse

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:01:45 AM »
Hi Åse - You're feeling about the same as many of us did in the weeks right after surgery. I also had the sweating and the exhaustion. I think it's part of the healing process. We also had bad days and good days. I think you will find that you feel a little better every day.
If your stomach is upset from the medications, maybe your doctor can suggest a different medicine. I found that I could reduce the painkillers I took and was on Tylenol (acetominephen) after about 2 weeks. Much easier on my stomach at least, and solved the constipation problem.
As for your feet, the doctors usually suggest that you avoid pointing your toe in, and that if you're laying on your side that you put a pillow between your legs to keep them from crossing over.
Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.
- Tom
RBHR 7/1/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »
Hi Åse

I am sorry you are having a difficult day.  That happens with many people.  Not only does your body have to recover, but your emotions are along for the ride too. It is a major upset to the body both mentally and physically to have major surgery like hip resurfacing. 

I think the page you are talking about is this one

http://www.surfacehippy.info/precautionsaftersurgery.php

I also think you might like to read this page that talks about how people are feeling somewhat depressed or are slow in healing.  It lets you know that many others have the same feelings during recovery.
http://www.surfacehippy.info/slowrecovery.php

I was also very, very tired for quite a few days after my surgery.  I mostly napped during the day.  Early on I could hardly find the energy to walk all the way down the hall.  But each day brought more healing and a little more energy.  I did not get back to my pre op energy level until almost 6 months post op.  I was 61 and not in the best of physical shape before surgery.  Younger people generally get their energy levels back qicker.

We will keep you in our thoughs and hope tomorrow is a better day.  Each day brings more healing and gets you closer to the day you will be happily walking for miles!

Pat
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:11:05 AM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

swedish hippy

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »
Thank you Pat and Tom!!!!!

It does feel good with yr feedback, it gives me comfort..again thank you!!

You are right about the small improvements, today the intense grion pain subsided alittle...went for a walk this morning around the block. Sun was shining and just that was nice...as you might know swedes are not spoiled when it comes to sunshine.

So I am taken extra vitamin D and calcium..2000 mg cal + 800 units of vit D.

Still taking my glucosamine as well since it has alittle pain relief in its mix.

My biggest problem is actually getting the teds on. On my healthy leg, no problem...just cant get inte on the one needs it. Instead I keep pumping my foot/ankle ALL THE TIME!!! ;D

I enjoy my posts on yr page and I think it is a great place to be, getting answers and finding out how others have solved certain problems.

Great work Pat!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
I had to have my husband help me put my TEDs on my operated leg.  I only wore them during the day.  Since I had my leg up at night, I was told I did not need them then.

I am glad you are feeling better today. Nothing like having a little sunshine on your face  8)

Keep in touch.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

swedish hippy

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
Well Pat,

haha...one problem...no husband!

I live alone!

But I will find a way...somehow... ;)

swedish hippy

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
Woke up today and for the first time saw some tremendous bruising from mid-thigh down to mid-calf...on the back of my operated leg.

does not hurt...is not hard....but alittle tender if poked hard.

What has happened?

Åse

TomBuell

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
Hi Åse - I think that bruising you see is the blood settling in the back of your leg when you're lying down. I had it and I think most others did too. I don't think you need to worry, but you could always ask your doctor. I did a little massage and made sure to walk around and keep moving. It went away in a few days. Is your leg swollen? If so, that will go away too.
I hope you find a good friend to help you with your TEDs  ;)
Good luck - Tom

swedish hippy

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
Thank you Tom!!!!

You were able to use the swedish "Å"...which surprised me pleasantly!

The bruiins is starting to turn purple så you are quite right...its been there for a while.

Went out walking today for 2 hours!!!!!  Haven´t been able to do that since I dont know when...it was raining..but who cares!!!!!

When I came home I noticed a certain "clonk" or "clink" in the hip area....it almost felt like a tendon snapping (not breaking) when it "wanders " over a joint.

Anyway...its like all of you have said...everyday brings a positive..even if it sometimes seems likes its taking baby steps ;D

I taking a every other day approach...one day LOTS of excercise, the next more of a rest day..just walking around the house more.
Feels good so far!

Tomorrow I am getting rid of the stitches or staples rather. Hope they can take all of them! Any advice on how to handle oneself when they are not there to hold things together?

I will be back! :-*

TomBuell

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
Hi Åse - I know about the Swedish Å (O-sound) because I know a Swede named Håkan who now lives in Upssala (I don't know if I spelled correctly).
I think if they're taking your stitches out, you should be pretty well healed. I found some soreness after I had mine out, but it only last a day or two. Probably no dancing or running ;), but it feels better to have them out. They will tell you what precautions to take.
Good luck - Tom

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Hi Åse

They won't take your stitches out until you are healed enough for the incision to stay together.  You don't have to do anything special.

Glad you are able to get out and walk - even in the rain.  Don't push yourself too much during the early recovery.  If you hurt the next day or after exercising, then don't do as much.  That applies during your first few months.

My doctor, De Smet of Belgium, said - listen to your body.  If it hurts, you are doing too much.  Pace yourself.  If you push too hard you can make your hip and leg swell up.  So it is best to take it easy during the early recovery.

I had a lot of "clunking" during my early recovery.  It almost feels like the hip joint is pulling apart some.  Actually, according to my doctor the muscles are loose and not holding the hip device as tightly together as it will when you are healed.  I am over 2 years post of and still get a clunk now and then which I shift my weight sitting.  It doesn't hurt - it just feels strange.  Many people have that happen to them.  It is not a problem and normally goes away.

Best of Luck to you.  Hope you will feel sunshine on your face tomorrow during your walk.

Pat
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:18:43 PM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

swedish hippy

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »
Took out my stitches today....or rather a nurse did...and the scar looked great!

Not red at all around the edges....no swelling...when the nurse was finished she put on a "second skin" to protect the small holes left by the staples..and told me to peel it off by teh weekend.

But my walk yesterday left me tired today..so I guess I overdid it alittle. Apart from the short walk down to the nurses station, I have been taken it easy today.

I am off all my medicaton...except for a light sleeping aid to fall a sleep on. My hip feels alittle tight...probably due to teh muscles finding each other again, I am walking very upright..not bending at the hip at all.

hopefully tomorrow I can take another walk...this time I´ll keep it well under 2 hours.

Do you think I can start sleeping on the operated side yet...still with a pillow between my knees? Cant wait till I can turn over on my stomach!!! ;D

Have a nice day everyone!

swedish hippy

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 12:43:40 PM »
I have caught a cold!!!!!!

What does this mean, if anything, for my recovery...I have a slight fever...a cough..and nasal drip.

The incision is looking ok and other than the above I feel fine ...just a little tired.  My leg is feeling fine so far.

Should I be worried...contact the doctor??

Åse Columbus

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »
Hi Åse

I am sorry tohear you have a cold.  Normally you don't have to worry about a cold or most sicknesses.  The only big worry is that you could get an infection from something serious like a dental problem.  Most normal infections are not a terrible problem. 

A cold is not an infection unless you end up with a sinus infection, etc.  Even that is not normally the kind of infection to cause problems with your hip.  Any time you think you do have a serious infection, it is always good to talk with your doctor.

I take antibiotics before I have any dental work done. Some doctors recommend that for 2 years and others for much longer.  I am older and don't take any chances.  Of course, everything depends on your own doctor and dentist.

It is always good to talk with them when possible.

I hope you feel better soon.  I am glad your leg is doing well.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

swedish hippy

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 03:13:22 AM »
Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks post-op! I am walking with just 1 crutch while in the house, but still have 2 when I am taking my walks outside. No pain, no clonking, just a slight tightness around the joint, probably the muscles getting better and working their way back to normality.

On thursday this week I will be driving my car (stick shift sport toyota) to work to say Hi!
I feel like I have total control in my leg, so I am going to be alittle daring. ;D

Feels like everything is falling into place. Now I just have to teach my body to walk without the limp that I have had for the last 10 years.

Slowly ...but surely!!!!!

Åse

TomBuell

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »
That sounds great Åse. You mentioned getting over that long-time limp. My physiotherapist made a good suggestion - to use a cane for longer than you think because it helps you develop a normal way of walking in addition to providing support.
Good luck - Tom

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal