+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Post Op 6 weeks and 2 days  (Read 3276 times)

renee

New Post Op 6 weeks and 2 days
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Hi I am Renee, I am a 47 year old female
Had Oa in right hip.
6 weeks and 2 days Post Op of BHR surgery, I had my surgery done in LIma Ohio. I think I am doing pretty well, except for the limp while walking without my cane. Dr. told me I could get rid of it any time I was ready. I feel bad because I have been kind of a wimp about doing things to soon anyone else feel that way? ??? Renee
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:04:12 PM by renee »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: New Post Op 6 weeks and 2 days
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »
Hi Renee

My doctor told me to listen to my body.  I was lucky and had a pretty quick recovery. But everyone has their own speed.  I stopped using my crutch at 4 weeks.  I then used a cane on and off in case I got tired and started to limp.  When I went on long walks, I would take the cane with me.

I was told to continue using a crutch or cane until I did not limp.  When I was still limping, I did not feel secure walking without the cane or crutch.  But then there came a time when I would start to move around and forget the cane.

If you still feel uncomfortable not using the cane, then keep using it.  You should not be limping when you walk.  If you need support, then use it until your muscles are strong enough to allow you to walk properly.

I am not a doctor, but I have read a lot of people's recoveries and a lot of doctors advice.  Normally, it is up to your own body and how you feel.  You should feel confident and comfortable if you are walking and should not have a limp.

Who was your doctor?  Have you done any PT.  I started doing water therapy at about 6 weeks because I was still so sitff.  I did water walking, some stretches and exercises. It really helped me get loosened up.  This is what my PT designed for me to do in the pool besides just walking in shoulder deep water
http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php

There are many people that take a long time to get back to a normal gait. You are not alone.  Eventually, everyone ends up in the same place.  Walking and being active without thinking about their hip.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

renee

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
Hi Pat, my Dr. is Dr. Patterson at the Ohio Institute of Orthopaedics in Lima Ohio. I guess I didn't tell all!! I had started a new job in 2001 at a Automotive factory, "Never worked in a factory before, It has many steps about 30 just getting in. I started having hip pain about 1 year after being there. Went to the Dr. in 2002 for it, they did MRI's of lower back and I had Stenosis. They treated me with Injections and I complained mostly of hip pain. They did help for a while, In the hip!! Well I had other therapys to say the least I finally asked for a mri of my hip and they did again a lower lumbar one. needless to say I had Stenosis worse. I went to a 2nd Dr. at the OIO. and he said I need to have surgery, and he took a plain xray of hips and lower lumbar, and he didn't tell me until I had the surgery and 3 weeks of pain free, then pain back in hip at the 6 week check up that I had Arthritis in Hip.. So then 8 Months later, I was in surgery for the BHR.. I wish they would have done the hip surgery first tho!!.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 01:45:46 PM »
Hi Renee

Thanks for the information.  A lot of people with hip problems also have back problems.  I very bad problems with my back.  My doctor and others will tell you that sometimes getting your hip/s fixed will help your back eventually. Having a bad hip/s makes you not walk properly. You often have a shorter leg or other problem that makes your back unbalanced - layman's terms here.  But you can understand if a leg is short or moving in an unusual pattern, it effects the back.

Many of us hippies have L4 and L5 problems.  I have gone to the chiropractor for years.  If he kept my back in place and also worked my hip into place, I would not have as many pain problems. He would lay me on my side, have me bring my knee up more towards my chest and somehow pop my hip into place. I haven't had that done since I have a new BHR.  I have had several really bad back attacks that have put me down in bed.  I am hoping they will get better as time goes on.

I guess the reality for many of us is - if you have OA in your hip, you will end up with it in many other places.  We get concentrating on our hips, get them fixed and then find problems other places in our bodies.   But it is great to have a hip that doesn't hurt.

Some people have had bone transplant type  treatments for their AVN that did not work well and wished they had just gotten a hip resurfacing in the first place.  But you never know and choose what you think is best at the time. If a treatment on your hip can buy you 5 or 10 years, then that is a good thing. A friend where I live had that treatment for his AVN, but it did not work. He ended up with a hip resurfacing.  You can't always tell what is best to do. 

Good Luck.  Keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM