+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 1603 times)

xocy

Insomnia
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
I'm about 10 weeks post op, bilateral and still can't sleep. Initially I thought it was related to sleeping on my sides. I could do it, but would eventually begin to feel sore, making me toss and turn. The soreness has gone away and I still can't sleep without drugs. I've have Ambien and Lunesta, but I hate taking drugs. Does anyone else have this problem?

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »
Hi Mike

Got you your own topic.

Lot of people have problems sleeping after surgery.  I know you are 10 weeks, but your body has really been thru tough surgery. 

Even if you don't actually feel pain, you body is still healing.  I remember my incision still being very touchy at a couple months out.  Even now, 2 1/2 years post op, my incision will become tender if I sleep on a hard bed or sit on a hard chair.  I have very tender skin and am older.

I would guess even if you don't feel pain, you body is still uncomfortable sleeping at night.  It just takes time.  I was use to waking and turning over every few hours from years of pain before surgery.  I still toss and turn every few hours and I am well healed.  As you get older, you just have more problems sleeping - or at least many people do.

If you are really tired from not sleeping, I would stick with your pills for awhile longer.  Either that or get up and spend a few hours in your recliner to break up the night.  That helped me a lot.

I hope things improve for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
I don't know if you're ready for exercising yet, but I've always been a light sleeper and the only time I've ever really slept good in my life is with the help of painkillers or sleeping pills, but then that would lead to major sleepiness the next day.  And I, too, want to stay away from addictive drugs.  Anyway, I've discovered that if I do at least 20 minutes a day of some type of aerobic exercising, I sleep so much better at night.  Right now, I exercise on my recumbent exercise bike everyday for at least 20 minutes after I get home from work.  It's not drugged sleep, but I sleep so much better than if I don't exercise.  Plus, once you get to where you can sleep comfortably in any position, that will help, too! 

xocy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
Ive been the "bilateral poster boy". I was driving at week 3 and walking without a cane or limp. I just can't sleep. I exercise almost daily, but it is difficult when you are tired all of the time. Last night was better, so I'll keep you posted and I'll definitely monitor these web site.

Mike

Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

ginnie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
I teach water aerobics ,, My surgery was july 22nd (about 8 weeks ago),, I have just gotten back in the pool teaching again,, all of my students (and me included now) sleep so much better after a workout in the water. If you have a local YMCA or gym that has a water fitness class try it,, its great for both working you out and relaxing you to help you sleep.. good luck

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear