+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The "other hip" question  (Read 2159 times)

wendyk320

The "other hip" question
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm pre-op and trying to sort some things out before my first doctors appt.  I'm 56, female, and not an athlete.  My x-rays show moderately severe OA in the right hip and only mild to moderate OA in the left.  However, I’m having significant pain in both hips - different types of pain and in different places, but at about the same level.  I've had a mostly full-time limp for only a few months.  On the one hand, I'm afraid of the compounded recouperation of having them both done at the same time (1 week apart) and on the other, don't like the idea of going through the whole process twice.

I’m hoping that if I do the bad hip first, after it is healed and rehabbed, and if I work on strengthening the muscles in the better hip, that the pain in the better hip might decrease once I stop compensating.  I don’t know how realistic this hope is.  I’m sure that some of you have been in the same situation.  What have been your experiences?  Has anyone actually seen "the other hip" improve or is this a pipe dream?  Thanks!

woodway2

Re: The "other hip" question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:27:10 PM »
Hello Wendy
I am a 57 year old woman coming up to my one year post surgery app't in a couple of weeks. I had my right hip resurfaced. It had severe OA brought about by my very physical work as a potter and a slight dysplasia. Just before surgery I noticed that I had occasional pain in my left hip. My doctor had a fairly conservative approach to post surgery healing, and I was not supposed to put weight on the right hip for 6 weeks. This meant hobbling around with a walker and plenty of stress on the left side. Sure enough, by the time I was walking outdoors my left hip was giving me sharp pains frequently and I was freaking out, as, at time of surgery my xrays showed only slight OA in my left. I talked to my physio about it and began to incorporate more exercises with weights on that side. It gradually settled to a pain that I can live with. But I still believe I should be able to get rid of it entirely. Lately I've been thinking that even though my right hip is now fantastic and gives me no trouble except for stiffness ( I stretch everyday), I have still been compensating all this time and putting more weight on my left side. So for a couple of weeks I've been really making that right side work harder to support myself. I am back at work, and stand in my studio all day, so that's a lot of weight bearing without much of a break. So far I am optimistic and will probably get another xray and see what the doctor says. I also stretch that "other hip" like crazy many times throughout the day by getting on the floor and rolling my hips over and I do believe that's helping alot. I think the issue of compensation is a big one.
Good luck!

wendyk320

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Hi, Woodway2, thanks so much for replying.  Your response was a big help.  I must say that I did a doubletake when I read that you are a potter.  I am too!  Or I should say that I was - I like to think that I'm on extended sebbatical.  Stopped doing shows a couple years ago - just got too hard for too little money.  I wonder if we've ever crossed paths?  I hope you continue to recover and get the left hip painfree as well. 

My first appt with Dr. Mont is on Wednesday, so I'm waiting to hear his recommendations.  Unless there are any good reasons to get both done now, I'm very tempted to just do the first and do some serious rehab afterward to see how good I can get the left one.   

You're my hero for continuing on in clay.  Keep up the good work!

Wendy   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:01 PM »
Hi Wendy

Welcome to Hip Talk.

My opposite hip really hurt more after surgery since it was taking on the extra load.  Even before surgery, one bad hip forces the other hip to do more work. It also tends to unbalance your complete body and back.  I thought for sure I should be getting both hips done, but my doctor said I only had one bad hip.

It took 6 months or more for the unoperated hip to stop hurting.  I had bursitus in it and ended up getting a steroid shot in the unoperated hip. If I don't over do my actvities the unoperated hip is OK.

So you might end up not requiring surgery in both hips. A lot depends on how bad each one is. 

So don't give up hope.  I was 61 when I had my resurfacing. 

The shows definitely are difficult to make money at any more.  I have done many with woodworking, then lampglass work and then paintings.  They were great back in the early 80's and have gone down hill since then. 

Where do you two potters live? 

Pat in Marietta, OH
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Donna

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »
Hi Wendy.  My case sounds very much like yours.  In May my right hip showed severe OA and my left was moderate.  I went to see Dr. Su in NY and the choice was all mine on whether to do two hips or not.  He did mention that 50% of the time when you do the bad hip the pain in the good can possibly subside.  Through the summer, my left hip (the good one) took a lot of abuse. I was limping pretty bad but still trying to keep up with my family enjoying the summer.   My surgery was slated for Sept 8th (yes 2 weeks ago) and up until that time I will was on the fence of doing two hips--I did schedule for two to be done.  I went for my pre op Sept. 3rd and had new xrays taken.  When Dr. Su looked at them, my good hip (the left one) had gotten considerably worse--severe.  I remember saying to him, if I wake up after having the bad hip done (right) and I'm still in pain with the left hip, it will send me over the top. 
He suggested, without a doubt, do both!  A few days before my surgery I decided to stick with the plan and do both. 

It was the best decision I made!!!  I don't want to go through this again and knowing that makes the healing and recovering so much easier.  I am two weeks post op and feeling better and stronger each day.  Doing two is really not that bad.  I hope this helps. 
Good luck with your decision. 
Donna I.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:58:31 AM »
Hi Donna

Congratulations on you new hips!  I am glad you are begining to feel better.

When you get a chance, could you post a little more of your story on the Hip Stories section. People are always interested in the Bilats - why they did two, what surgery was like and how they recovered.  Maybe you could use a title like  Bilateral Surgery wtih Dr. Su or something similar.

I hope you continue to recover quickly and get back to being active again without pain. Sounds like you have a good start.

Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
Hi Donna,

I would appreciate reading your story, as I am scheduled for hip surgery with Dr. Su on Sept. 29, although only my left hip will be operated on.  I have no problems with my right hip, although no x-ray has been taken of my right hip since 2002.  I notice in another post that you are the "one kidney" patient.  Your story about bilateral surgery and one kidney is unique.  Are you from New York?  I am traveling from Douglas, Alaska.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

wendyk320

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
Pat,

Sorry to take so long responding to your very helpful post.  I don't seem to be using this correctly.  When I click on "Show unread posts... or Show new replies"  I always get a "No unread topics found" response, so I just found your response.

I've pretty much decided to just do one hip and hope for the best on the second.  I've started doing the arthritis water class at the Y and will start doing some hip muscle exercises once I get them from Dr. Mont in order to get a head start before surgery on the 10th.  Good to know that it took 6 months for your other hip to improve.  That will help me from getting too frustrated afterward.  I'm sure that the good hip takes a beating post-surgically and will have that to recouperate from as well. 

Boy are you ever right about shows!  Times are definitely tough out there for craftspeople.  I am in awe of those who continue to do great work and make a living at it.  I really miss doing them, especially seeing my craftspeople friends.  I'm in Pennsylvania and only did shows on the East Coast.  I quit doing them before my hips got bad, but I'm sure glad that I'm not trying to do all that schlepping now!!  It would be so cool if the 3 of us actually did a show together at some time.

Best wishes!

Wendy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:55:49 AM by wendyk320 »

wendyk320

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:02:48 AM »
Hi, Donna,

Thanks so much for your reply.  It's great to hear that you've done so well with a bilateral.  You're my hero!  Dr. Mont gave me the option to do both, but I think, as I said in my response to Pat, that I'm going to just do the one.  Although, as Dr. Mont said, if I find that that first hip was a breeze, I could decide to do the other one a week later if he could fit me in.  I guess I'll decide once I get there.

The biggest issue for me is that I live by myself and though I have lots of friends who will be helping, I don't really have anyone that can stay with me full-time which I think I would need.  Although I heard from one great lady who had a bilateral and spent a week in rehab afterwards.  That might work.

I'm trying to stay open-minded about it. 

Thanks again and best of luck with your rehab!

Wendy

Donna

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
Hi Wendy.  And that is a big concern--being alone.  My husband left me alone the other day for the first time just for a few hours.  I think i dropped everything under the sun--even a crutch.  SO I had to be very creative in trying to pick it up.  My Physical Therapist was actually laughing because of all the things on my kitchen floor I could not pick up. 
I am very fortunate my husband works out of the house with this whole ordeal.  I couldn't have done it alone.  (Plus I have two children 10 and 12 that have been wonderful.)
A facility is the next best thing. 

I am into my third week and really feel terrific.  Walking further and faster!   I left the house last night for the first time for back to school night.  Of course my daughters class was on the second floor and climbed all the steps to the second floor!  I'm pretty much off all the pain meds.  I do take it at night though from the soreness of working my legs all day. 

Good luck to you in making your decision.
Donna I.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat