+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: PT for pain relieve and range of motion prior to surgery?  (Read 4523 times)

hipshot

PT for pain relieve and range of motion prior to surgery?
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »

Hey
Does anybody know of or had PT before surgery to help pain, stiffness and increase the range of motion.
I am a months out before surgery and as fast as my pain came on I am wondering if I have other muscle or tendon pains.
My Xrays show very moderate arthritus in that hip no real reson for such bad pain it came on from horse back riding.

Thanks
hipshot.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Re: PT for pain relieve and range of motion prior to surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:53:31 PM »
Welcome Hipshot -
From a strictly non-physician perspective, I might say that the position of horseback riding might have hit your hip joint arthritis in just the WRONG place. Before my surgery, I know there were certain positions that were impossible, and others that weren't so bad. I don't know about PT, but maybe just full-body workouts for flexibility and maybe even a little yoga might help.
Are you planning hip resurfacing?
- Tom

hipshot

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »
Tom

Dr. Bose got my Xrays this week and read the doctors report who examined me a year ago.
Dr. Bose asked for second examination from another Orthropedic doctor and possible new set of Xrays.
My first examination report done here Montana was very vague and basically had very little information.
My X rays showed very moderate arthritus. (thats what Dr. Bose saw)
I am waiting for a response from Dr. Bose about PT and why my pain came on so fast.
I thought for 6 months I had a grion injury from riding rough country on horse back.
I like the yoga idea and I agree that I must of agrivaited this arthritic hip during a ride.
I plan to have surgery if need be in late November. (Dr. Bose)
So far two local doctors agree I need hip surgery.
 I don't diagree with  them.
I do want to do the right thing until the time comes instead of eating pain pills and hobbling around work and at home.
If I can increase my range of motion a bit and find out exactly what is causing the pain I can better understand how to help myself relieve some of the pain.
I would like a good nights sleep. :)
 Hipshot

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
In my non-professional opinion, if you have gotten to that point with the pain - limiting favorite activities, regular use of painkillers and waking up at night - I'd say you were a candidate for surgery. I personally would recommend that you consider resurfacing since it allows great range of motion, better likelihood of return to active lifestyle, and less bone removal. That's what I had and I'm very happy. I wish I had not waited so long.
- Tom

bporter44

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:34:23 AM »
I must agree with the others. I tried to rationalize away my pain and tried everything under the sun. Exercises, diet supplements etc. I just couldnt believe the problem couldnt be fixed. When my doctor told me I was a candidate, I was in denial. I have a Biology degree that includes nutritional courses and was a certified trainer. I spent many many nights researching and found many things that helped but none that cured. It seems now like I just prolonged the agony as well as losing years to inactivity and missing out on all the fun. My friends slowly drifted away, went off and left me. Man are they in for a surprise! The only benefit is that I now have information that helps me keep my other joints healthy. I am now a week and four days from resurfacing and with all the information I have gathered about the other side of surgery and return to normalcy, I cant wait!
Bo Porter

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal