+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I am getting serious pain in my right thigh/leg  (Read 3391 times)

hughstjust

I am getting serious pain in my right thigh/leg
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »
I am getting serious pain in my right thigh/leg especially when sitting
on a hard seat. This makes eating out for example, a real trial most of
the time. Even train travel can be excruciating!

I have been diagnosed with marked degenerative osteoarthropathy in both
hips and am likely to have a bilateral resurface fairly soon.

Is this a symptom that many patients have encountered? Only relieved
after a few minutes when standing up.

I am 61 and am also awaiting the results of a bone scan.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I am getting serious pain in my right thigh/leg
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »
Hi Welcome to Hip Talk
You are experiencing what most of us did before our hip resurfacings.  I had hip pain for almost 10 years because I did not want a THR.  I was at a point where sitting in a soft chair was all I could do.  Even with good pain meds, I could not sleep at night. I was 61 when I had my hip resurfacing last March 2006 with Dr. De Smet in Belgium. I could not get health insurance and could not afford surgery in the US.

In the end, I could not even walk a block without great pain. Even now with my new hip, I still have problems sitting in some chairs because of my back.  It seams once the OA has started in your body, it spreads everywhere.  I have a great new hip, but now the other hip is bothering me along with my back.   I planed to be really active this summer, but have not been able to.

I had some lost of bone density but never had a bone scan.  The doctors overseas can tell you bone density pretty much by reading your x-rays. They don't do the bone scans like the US doctors do.

I would tell anyone to get their hips fixed. You life is on hold when you are in such pain. Everything stops and you are not a happy camper emotionally either since you just hurt so much of the time.

I always suggest a hip resurfacing if possible since it conserves your femur bone.  Then as you get older and possibly need a revision, you have a whole femur bone for the surgeons to work with.  Also, most people can do any activities they want with a hip resurfacing and don't have to worry about dislocations as people do with some of the THR's.

Age is not the determing factor as to when to have a hip resurfacing - pain is. 

What doctor are you working with? What area of the country do you live in?

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hughstjust

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:27:41 AM »
I live nr Canterbury in Kent, UK.

My doc is Helmut Khan who with another orthopaedic surgeon is doing some 180 THRs and resurfacings annually in our local private hospital . I first saw him 2 years ago and have struggled along since aided by brilliant acupuncture - however now my quality of life is beng impacted big time.

I had a major prostate operation 4 years ago in London which has been successful thusfar - but my wife especially values our walks together which recently seem to be getting non-existent as I stagger along under the burden of this latest health problem. During this earlier treatment, I had a cytoscopy and dilatation procedure from which I awoke with excruciating pain in my thighs - I feel pretty certain that under sedation, my legs had been placed in stirrups and some further damage done to my hips. I had long term problems following sports injuries.

Helmut Zhan is very highly regarded by the local medics - a local GP friend had him do a resurface and it has changed his life for the better!

I am also mindful to see Mr McMinn in Birmingham for a 2nd opinion before proceeding to surgery - McMinn developed the BHR in 1996 or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:07:45 AM by hughstjust »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
Hello Hugh

You certainly have access to some of the best doctors in the world where you live. I don't think you could do better than have a second opinion from Mr. McMinn. 

As you know, pain stops your life.  It slowly creeps up on you and you begin to accept a life without activity.

I hope you can have your hips resurfaced so you can take walks with your wife again. I am sure she will be happy to have her walking partner back. I am sure she will be a great support to you during and after surgery.

Most of us that use the very experienced doctors have fairly quick recoveries.  I used Dr. De Smet from Belgium and was on one crutch at 4 days and no crutches at 4 weeks.  Of course, we all heal differently and at different rates, but many people get on with life quite quickly.  It still takes a long time for your body and muscles to heal, but at least you are able to walk quite quickly after surgery.  By the time we got home from Belgium 10 days after surgery, I was walking 3/4 of a mile every day with one crutch with no pain.  Just muscle stiffness.

I wish you the very best of luck. Please keep in touch. If we can provide any information, let us know.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat