+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Smith Peterson Anterior Approach  (Read 3863 times)

Ken B

Smith Peterson Anterior Approach
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »
Not to be confused with Harding anterior approach. The Smith Peterson approach uses a specialized operating table and allows for hip replacement or resurfacing without the cutting or sectioning of any muscle.

Recovery is reported to be quicker with no limitations on hip movement, almost immediate ability for full weight bearing, potential better blood flow retention to the femural head, and much reduced risk of dislocation.

I'm in the process of preparing for the inevitable for my hip. I think I can hold off for another season or two as I have no noted femural degradation yet and do not have any lifestyle limitations but after two consulations with orthopedic surgeons who specialize in the hip I know I will need a prosthesis. In that time I want to get it right and learn as much as I can.

I understand the benefits of the posterior approach vs. the common anterior approach (Harding), particularly for active younger patients like myself, but this Smith Peterson approach is looking more and more attractive as unlike the posterior approach no muscles are detached vs. the posterior approach where short rotators are detached and repaired.

Is anyone familiar with this technique or had a resurfacing done via this approach.

Thanks
RBHR 09/15/14 - Dr. Schmalzried

Big Bill

Re: Smith Peterson Anterior Approach
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »
Big Bill here .... I am a Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy ...that is why I tend to sign alot of my posts - C.A.S.H.   8) . I am going to give you a link (if it is Ok with Pat ) of my surgeon Dr. Stefan Kreuzer. There is an animmated video at the bottom of his page to watch  the Direct Anterior Approach. That is what I had on 7/09/08.There are only a handful of skilled resurfacing surgeons doing this procedure , as it is much more demanding. There is also some info about the "Arch Table" that is used . It is nicknamed the "Iron Maiden". I did great and am still doing great with the procedure   ;D . Walked 2 miles today in just over 30 minutes and did 1 hr. of water aerobics. Plan on hitting the gym later this evening. Any Q's just chime in or email me personally thru this forum.  Pat also put a liitle story together with some of my posts under  "Hip Stories" ... additional stories (thanks Pat )....Here is the link---  http://hipresurfacinginfo.com/kreuzer_3..  everybody enjoy     ::) !

Big Bill C.A.S.H.   8)    7/09/08 Kreuzer

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »
Hey Bill I know one know it all "patient advocate" (name withheld) who would think you were crazy for having that approach performed on you.  Dr. Mont can do any of the approaches, he uses the one your doctor uses and his patients do really well.  I am happy to hear that you are doing so well.  In Europe there are many surgeons that use that approach that do very well for their patients.

From what I've read that approach can be very good for the patient if it's performed by a quality surgeon.

Keep up the good rehab, walk another mile for me when you get out there.

Good luck

Chuck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:05:20 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Big Bill

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
Chuck.... Thanks for your reply...the old US of A is a bit conservative about surgical procedures like hip resurfacing. I guess that is why some still travel abroad for all kinds of procedures. Researching hip resurfacing for nearly 1.5 years, the Direct  Approach is what I felt was best for me. In the late seventies, I had a career ending surgery that involved shortening the muscles in my shoulder area. It was very invasive, I was casted for 3 months and took a year to rehab. I was in my early twenties. It was new then and very sucessful...never had a dislocation again ( I had eleven prior). I did play basketball again, but not beyond college level. The technique used now is done a bit different and done arthroscopically. I have an eight inch scar to always remind me. Now, I have a five inch scar from my hip resurfacing. I would not have changed a thing. I feel very blessed ! The next mile I walk is for us all !   ;)

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.  ( Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy )  7/09/08   PROUD &   8)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
Hi Big Bill

You can always feel free to post urls to information of interest.  THat is what this board is about - sharing, support and learning.

Have fun!   :D

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat