+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eugene's surgery w/ Dr. M. Bushuk Canada  (Read 2852 times)

Stucch

Eugene's surgery w/ Dr. M. Bushuk Canada
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:19 PM »
Hi There,

This is Eugene's wife Rose and on his behalf I would like to let all of you know that his surgery was @ 7:45 Friday morning. I was told that the surgery would be 1 1/2 hrs. In fact, it was closer to 3. The Doctor went on to explain that he has legs of a horse and he had a really hard time getting around and dislocating his hip.

Today (Monday), with assistance and a walker, he was able to make it from the bed to the washroom. Although, it was exhausting and tiring he did it. Has has been told by his nurse though, that his hemogloben is low. The nurse has yet to come back with a course of action. I'm hoping it's a matter of antiobiotics rather than a transfusion. Have any of you expeirenced this?

Rose.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:55:59 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Eugene's surgery was a success!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:22:39 PM »
Hi Rose

I can't answer your question about the hemogloban, but I want to wish Eugene Good Luck.

Please tell him he is in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope he can begin to move around with more energy soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
Eugene....way to go ! Rose ...you will see improvement and I hope they get his blood issue corrected very soon. Keep the Faith !

Best Wishes,

Big Bill    C.A.S.H.   8)    7/09/08

JeanM

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
Hi Rose,
Congratulations to your husband and kudos to you for your support!  Regarding the hemoglobin issue:  My doctor tested my hemoglobin two months prior to surgery.  My hemoglobin was was 13.4 at the time.  This is a normal hemoglobin reading for a female.  However, he wanted my hemoglobin level to be high going into the surgery.  This is to help avoid the need for a transfusion and help my blood levels  to 'bounce back' quickly after surgery.  So, he prescribed Repliva for me in preparation for the surgery.  Repliva is a prescription iron supplement (80 mg of iron) that also has other vitamins designed to improve iron absorption.  I took it for two months prior to surgery and am taking for another month post surgery.  I'm not sure what my hemoglobin reading was right before and after surgery.  But, I know there were no issues with it and I've felt great.

Another way to increase hemoglobin more quickly is through the use of Erythropoietin injections (more commonly known as EPO).  EPO is most commonly known as the drug cyclists and other athletes use to improve athletic performance by elevating their hemoglobin levels.  It's legitimate use is to increase hemoglobin levels when medically necessary, such as in your husbands case.

By the way, I'm not medically trained in any way.  This is just info that I picked up from my doctor along the way to my resurfacing procedure.  I hope it's helpful!

Good Luck!
Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

Stucch

Three Weeks Post Op
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »
Hello friends!
I'm three weeks tomorrow. I haven't posted anything since pre surgery, actually today is the first day I sat in front of the computer. I know my wife gave a few briefs on how I was doing in the hospital and she thanks all of you for the kind words and support. I have to tell you, I'm a new man, I feel fantastic! I'm not going to lie, the first week, I felt like I got run over by a truck but everyday gets better and better. It's amazing how the next day you can do something you could barely do the day before. I'm down to walking with a cane, I walked my daughter to school today (10 minute walk), I felt pretty good it was my longest walk yet. It's very important for all patients to keep up with the physio, it's my daily routine, don't anybody cheat. Again, I can't begin to explain how important this web site has been for me and my family. For anybody browsing around or visiting this site for the first time, absorb all you can, it will help you immensely.
Anybody in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada who's looking for a surgeon, Dr. M. Bushuk is the man. Although, he doesn't have the experience as some of the doctors posted on this web site(he has 21 years with joint replacement), he was still a doctor I had total confidence and faith in. I wouldn't change what I did for a second. Anyone requiring more information feel free to contact me at mightyducts@hotmail.com or call me 416.277.5501.
I'll be keeping up with weekly posts!
Talk to you soon!

Eugene
Toronto, Ontario   

B.I.L.L.

Re: Three Weeks Post Op
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
I'll be three weeks out next monday, 10-13-08.  Sounds like were on about the schedule.  I've been using one crutch for longer walks and the cane or just bouncing along on the counters and walls around the house.  Still on 2 norcos about an hour before my daily walks, and about every 8-12 hours depending on how active I am. (Active like in walking around the house, sitting etc.) I can do about a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes on one crutch now, and am getting a little better everyday, so I am a happy camper so far. Glad to hear you are doing well, Good Luck !!    Bill   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:29:21 PM »
Hi B.I.L.L. and Stucch

Glad to hear you are both doing well at 3 weeks post op.

Keep up the good work.

Isn't it great to be able to talk with people who are in the same situation as you are.

3 weeks post op now - 3 months post op soon.  You are on your way to an active, pain free life.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
Big Bill here .... I remember three weeks ....I just passed the 3 month mark   ::).... one of the best decisions I have ever made ....the very best being the wife !! Keep the faith ,keep the pace (don't over do it ) ...I never did    :o  and get back into the active life ....good job !!

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.   7/090/8   8)   

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »
Big Bill here .... I remember three weeks ....I just passed the 3 month mark   ::).... one of the best decisions I have ever made ....the very best being the wife !! Keep the faith ,keep the pace (don't over do it ) ...I never did    :o  and get back into the active life ....good job !!

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.   7/090/8   8)   

Thanks Big Bill.  Nice to hear encouragement from someone "more toward the front of the line" for lack of a better term ha ha.  Speaking of overdoing it, got a little over enthused last thursday and went a mile on one crutch.  The day before I did a 1/2 mile and felt great so I doubled it on thursday......bad idea.   I guess it's hard to tell if your  overdoing it until afterwards right ?  So now were back to "a little further each day"   It's all good though, I'm sure there are many peaks and valleys in my future.     Bill

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear