+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: LEG LENGTH WORRIES  (Read 1566 times)

CITY2SOUTH

LEG LENGTH WORRIES
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Pat and All,

Ok I've been contemplating sending this post for about 3 weeks now and finally said what the heck.
My problem is I am worried that my operated leg is shorter then before surgery.  :o How can I know for sure? Can I get measured? How is that done? I know many people think this after surgery and that in MOST cases it turns out they just needed more time to heal and adjust to there new parts. I know that is probably what it is but in the back of my mind I worry that I may never walk normal again.
 Should I let Dr.G know I am worried about this or just give it more time. I know ya'll will guide me in the direction I need to go..

Thanks,
Lisa
uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: LEG LENGTH WORRIES
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:46:56 PM »
Hi Lisa

There is no real way for you to really measure your own leg length with any accuracy. 

I think you should give call Dr. Gross's office and talk to Lee or whoever you think you should talk to.  Tell them your concern. 

I am not sure how they actually measure your leg length.  I don't know if they need an x-ray or how they do it.  I know it has been done for other people from other doctors.

I am only guessing, but usually people feel their leg is too long, but I could see how someone might feel like they have a shorter leg.  Their muscles might be very tight and pulling their leg up a bit.  Also you might just be leaning to the opposite side more which makes it feel short.

I really don't know.  You need to ask the doctor if you have a shorter leg.

Ever since I had my foot in a cast for 3 months, my leg feels longer.  I think my muscles are not use to me using them.  Many strange things happen with our bodies.  I felt like I need a lift in my other shoe.  I did not use one because I know my leg could not have gotten any longer - it is just from being in a cast so long.  My back might also be thrown off from using a crutch and walking so strange too. 

You should always feel free to voice your concerns and problems.  You or your insurance company have paid a great deal for your surgery and you are entitled to have your questions answered.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
Pat,

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure it's part of the recovery process. I've also been slack on my exercises and will get back on track soon. I'll send Dr.Gross and email as well. I look forward to his
online chat.

Thanks again,
Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »
Now the tough decision.... what to name thyself.  Sharkmeister, Shark Girl, Beer Cart Girl or (drum roll) LISA!

:)

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat