+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dancer needs a hip resurfacing in NY  (Read 10962 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Dancer needs a hip resurfacing in NY
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:36 AM »
I am a dancer (52) who runs a big, delightful community arts center 
in Brooklyn, NY.  I have recently been told I am a "perfect 
candidate" for hip resurfacing but my sucky insurance (Oxford Liberty 
Plan) doesn't appear to cover any reputable hip surgeons. at least 
any I have found on your list.

So my questions are:

1) Can anyone tell me anything about surgeons Dr. Macaulay at 
Columbia Presbyterian in NYC or Dr. Steven Stuchin at NYU?  Better 
yet, have they worked on you?  Would you recommend them?

2) Are there any very active individuals  in Park Slope, Brooklyn 
that have had this procedure done and might I call on you to ask you 
about how you are doing now and who you went to?

3) Since I may not be able to afford to have this procedure done in 
this country, can anyone point me in the right direction to surgeons 
abroad that might be less expensive but topnotch?  I have written to 
Treacy and De Smet --- any firsthand experience with either one of them?

Thanks.  I appreciate any help anyone might give me in navigating 
this labyrinth.

Elise Long
Spoke the Hub Dancing
Brooklyn, NY

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:33:39 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

AR

Re: Dancer needs a hip resurfacing in NY
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
Hi,
 I just saw Dr. Stuchin for a potentail hip resurfacing (dancer myself and 56 now) and he is saying that I need a THR because of a cyst on my femor.  My insurance doesn't pay for Dr. Su but I'm going to spring for his opinion to see what he say about the THR vs. resurfacing.  (yes it takes forever to get an appointment with Dr. Su)  Stuchin seemed very nice altho he isn't just a hip doctor.  If Dr. Su thinks I need a THR I may look for someone in my network who does only hips. 
   Have you had xrays etc. done already? 

AR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dancer needs a hip resurfacing in NY
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:13:04 AM »
Hi AR

I am not a dancer, but have been very active in sports most of my life. Ice skated 4 times a week, played tennis, etc. Did do some ballroom dancing with my hubby.

I was 61 when I had my hip resurfaced with Dr. De Smet in Belgium. I had a cyst on my femor bone head.  Many people getting hip resurfacing have cysts. They are pretty standard.  They are usuall filled in with bone matter that is ground off the top of the ball of the cyst when they are fitting the cap.  They also use some type of glue material with the bone matter.

Don't let a surgeon talk you out of a hip resurfacing because of a cyst.  The less experienced surgeons will often opt to do a THR instead of a hip resurfacing because it is a much easier operation.  Hip resurfacing takes a skilled surgeon.  You don't want a doctor changing his mind as soon as he gets into the operation. That can happen - most often with the less experienced doctors.

You also want a doctor that does a lot of hips.  Like Dr. De Smet does only hips. He has done over 2400 hip resurfacings and over 3000 THRs.  Many of the newer doctors only do a couple hips a week, if that. They do all kinds of orthopaedic surgery.  So you need to ask your doctor how many hip resurfacings they have done.

If Dr. Su can't give you an answer, try looking farther away.  Many of us have traveled to Belgium or India or SC to Dr. Gross.  You sometimes have to work for what you want.

You can also send your x-rays to Dr De Smet and Dr. Bose in India for a free consultation. They are 2 of the very best in the whole world and give free consultations.  If they tell you you are NOT a candidate, you probably aren't.  Although I know in several cases the people were turned down by De Smet and Dr. Gross did them. 

Hip resurfacing is almost as much an art as a learned skill.  You need to check all your options before you accept a THR.  Since you are younger and a dancer, you want to remain as active as possible without any restrictions.  A Hip Resurfacing will do that for you.

Pat in Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat