+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: metal ions - safe levels  (Read 1573 times)

woodway2

metal ions - safe levels
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
Hi Pat
We chatted a while back - I am the potter from Canada. When I morphed the other hip topic into my concerns over metal ions, I did not fully explain my anxiety. Now it is full blown!
I do not use much metal in my work, but as a potter my awareness re: the hazards of certain metals is maybe more than most people's. Still I looked at all the information available and decided I wanted this surgery, and, I surely do love my new hip!
At my post op appointment i noticed on my x-ray I had a somewhat steep acetabular cup angle and consulted one of the studies in your metal ion section. Looking at the numbers in the  study led me to ask my surgeon if we could monitor my levels. I want to keep this post short, so I will give you one result. My chromium plasma levels taken at 11 months are 499.98 nmol/l, which I believe converts to 26ug/l (someone please correct me if I'm doing the wrong conversion). I was retested last week for both chromium and cobalt and will have the new numbers in a couple of weeks.
I spent a good part of today trying to find out what the acceptable, or safe levels are. Zip Nada. I went over your posted studies and it looks to me that a median 6 months to a year for chrome is maybe around 80nmol/l.  I am definitely way above average.
So my question: Does anyone know what the safe levels of chromium and cobalt ions are? In  nmol/l or ug/l.
I have to work tonight and cannot join the chat room, but if you could put this question to the doctor I would be gratetful!
Thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: metal ions - safe levels
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
Hi

I am sorry I did not see all of your post.

I will ask him what normal numbers are.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
Dr. Gross did not come up with much of an answer - I am sorry.

[] 7:06 pm: A lady could not be here, but asked me your thoughts on this about metal ions. She is trying to find out what the normal numbers would be. My chromium plasma levels taken at 11 months are 499.98 nmol/l, which I believe converts to 26ug/l . I am definitely way above average. So my question: Does anyone know what the safe levels of chromium and cobalt ions are? In nmol/l or ug/l
[Dr. Gross] 7:11 pm: No one knows what safe levels are. These are normal elements in our body. They are elevated after placing metal implants. There is no value to measuring and following levels at this point.

I posted 5 new studies about metal ions today - they are the first five at the top of the list.  Interesting.  They say smalled sized heads create more ions, very active people create more ions and improperly placed acetabular cups create more ions.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/metalioninformation.php

Sorry I could not do better for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

woodway2

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:10:37 AM »
HI Pat
Thanks for posting my question. Yes his answer was disappointing. Perhaps he's tired of the question. But your posted studies demonstrate the need to know more about the ion issue. The new studies are very interesting, thanks for letting me know.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat