+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: bilateral hip resurfacing  (Read 2691 times)

Barbara

bilateral hip resurfacing
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
I am scheduled for my first surgery next week. I have DJD in both hips and surgery on the other side is scheduled for 8 weeks later. Is there anyone else on the forum who has had bilateral surgeries and how far apart were they done?
I wanted both done at once just to get it over and done with but my Dr said that is not feasible. Any feedback would be welcome.
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

bernsber

Re: bilateral hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »
I'm three and a half weeks postop for my LBHR. I will meet with my doctor on Oct 14th, and then we will decide the date for my right side. He had said early on that he wanted to do them three months apart. I was not a candidate to have them done at the same time either, due to complications.

Who is your doctor?

All the best!
Ben
Dr. Su LBHR 9-11-08
RBHR Nov or Dec

ahershberger

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:45 AM »
I too was told that my surgeon (Dr. Scott Cook, Leawood Kansas) would have me wait at least 3 months before doing the other one.

My first bhr was Aug. 4 and my second is scheduled for Dec. 15.  While I recovered on the quick end, I can't imagine having the other one done any sooner! You really need to rely on the good (in my case not good but other) hip.  Just my thoughts...

Alison Hershberger
BHR, right
Dr. Scott Cook
Kansas City

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
I am the one pushing to have the lft side done asap after the rt as I just want to get back to normal and my Lft hip is going in to subluxation frequently when I move a certain way. The 2nd surgery is tentatively scheduled for 8 weeks after the first side so I'll just have to wait and see how my recovery goes.
My surgeon is Dr James Pritchett in Seattle.
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

xocy

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:18:40 AM »
I had bilateral hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC. I had the right one on Monday, 6/23/08 and the left one Wednesday, 6/25/08. I was discharged on Friday, 6/27/08. I used two crutches at first, progressed to one crutch, and by week three was off the cane. I would not do this any other way. I can't imagine trying to do my rehab and daily walk, still having one bad hip.

The biggest drawback to bilateral is blood loss. Dr. Gross uses a method called "Cell Saver" that recycles your own blood so no tranfusion or pre op blood donation is requied. With my first hip I did not need any blood, and with the second hip, only a small amount. Dr. G gives his patients a surgical report when he discharges you with this info.

Much of this decision will depend on the experience of your surgeon.

Feel free to contact me.

Mike

mraycox@aol.com
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:25:15 PM »
Thats my feelings exactly Mike. I will still be having pain in my other hip after the first surgery so think it best to get them both fixed asap. Glad to hear your recovery went well.

Barbara
Barbara
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

xocy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »
I had visions of myself with one good hip walking around in circles. LOL It was already funny enough to my grandson. He would mimic me walking around like a penquin ljust ike the ones in the movie Happy Feet.

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R  6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »
Oh thats very funny Mike, I know exactly what you mean.

Barbara
Barbara
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Buddy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
I just had my second hip done (the first, my right hip, I did on July 1). So mine were about 12 weeks apart. I know some surgeons say that 8 weeks is enough, and it probably is, but I'm glad that I waited at least 12, because my first one is still not 100 percent as far as strength goes, and you need that strength in the recovery of the 2nd hip. 8 weeks should be fine if you are fit and strong and do exactly what the doctors say (pt, etc) but if you have the luxury of time, and aren't in tremendous anguish and pain (most people needing both hips done ARE, however) then I'd opt for getting the first hip good and strong before embarking on the 2nd--8 weeks seems like an absolute minimum.

bernsber

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »
I'm glad mine are being done three months apart. I had/have very bad dysplasia. When Dr. Su moved my left socket down closer to where it belongs, it made my left foot want to stick out to the side. The muscles on the top and inside of my leg have been very tight and have taken awhile to release. I'm very glad I didn't have two legs sticking out like that. I can see a same day bilat being no problem if the sockets don't need moving, but not with sockets that needed to be moved as much as mine.

I still don't have the date for my right side, but I fly to NY tonight to meet with Dr. Su tomorrow!

Ben
Dr. Su LBHR 9-11-08
RBHR Nov or Dec

DirkV

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 01:09:17 AM »
I wanted to have both done simultaneously. My thinking was that rehab takes a year or more, and I wanted to only go through that once. My surgeon advised that there is greater total risk from 1 single, longer operation than 2 separate operations. The off the cuff explanation was that if you assign an arbitrary risk value of 1 to a single-side resurf operation and then have the other side done a month or so later, the total risk is 2. But for a single operation, simultaneous resurf, the risk would be more like 2.5. Apparently there is greater risk of needing blood transfusion, for e.g.. After saying that, the doctor added that he had done many simultaneous bilat and all had turned out fine, and all patients had obviously been very happy.
I followed the surgeons advice and had the operations 5 weeks apart. So far, so good, and I am very happy to think that my work at rehab will soon be done, and that I won't have to go through it again for "the other side."

I think a lot has to do with the types of activities you want to return to and the schedule you would like for recovery.

Good luck,
-Dirk
Bilat, Dr. Ball, DePuy ASR, 02/08 and 03/08.
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

landaq007

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »
I had bilateral hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC. I had the right one on Monday, 6/23/08 and the left one Wednesday, 6/25/08. I was discharged on Friday, 6/27/08. I used two crutches at first, progressed to one crutch, and by week three was off the cane. I would not do this any other way. I can't imagine trying to do my rehab and daily walk, still having one bad hip.

The biggest drawback to bilateral is blood loss. Dr. Gross uses a method called "Cell Saver" that recycles your own blood so no tranfusion or pre op blood donation is requied. With my first hip I did not need any blood, and with the second hip, only a small amount. Dr. G gives his patients a surgical report when he discharges you with this info.

Much of this decision will depend on the experience of your surgeon.

Feel free to contact me.

Mike

mraycox@aol.com

Does anyone know how to qualify a bilateral as a medically necessary with the insurance company?  I am willing and able (and determined) to have the bilateral.  I just want to be prepared for the insurance.   Thank you
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

wayne-0

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Who is your insurance company and what is your plan HMO  PPO  something else? I fought my insurance company for eight months and got it done. You can e-mail me or I can answer any questions on this post that I can.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

landaq007

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »
Who is your insurance company and what is your plan HMO  PPO  something else? I fought my insurance company for eight months and got it done. You can e-mail me or I can answer any questions on this post that I can.

Wayne-0

I am with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia with the Blue Choice PPO.   Dr. Gross is in-network according to the PPO.  I greatly appreciate your insight on this.   

Thank you,
- Timothy
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

wayne-0

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
Hey Timothy,
The good news is that you have a PPO and Dr. Gross is in network so your battle should be minimal. I believe Dr. Gross does bi-laterals 2 days apart (one on Monday and the other on Wednesday). If your adamant about having them done on the same day talk to your doctor and ask if he will do it. As far as medically necessary have your doctor write up an authorization request stating why this procedure is medically necessary. With my case I asked the doctor to include these reasons, I work construction and this is the only surgery that will let me get back to  the same work I currently do to be able to support my family, my age ( 47 ) because I can reasonably outlive a thr, because of my activity level is so high ( sports ), anything else you can include would be good but be specific and the reasons why. Also on this web page go to insurance appeals and read around those stories, they will help you. If your using Dr. Gross I think his team will have no problem getting your surgery deemed medically necessary. I've heard nothing but great stuff about him.
Good luck.
                                               Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat