+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backside pain prior to resurfacing  (Read 3386 times)

windsurfhippy

Backside pain prior to resurfacing
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
Hello all. I am curious if anyone has had serious pain in the backside (butt) in addition to the front side groin pain. When I walk or get out of a chair I get sharp pains right under or right at the bottom of my backside on the bad hip side of my body. If anyone else has had this, did the resurfacing help alleviate it. Thanks to all who respond and thank you Pat for a wonderful website.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Backside pain prior to resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:10:51 PM »
Hi

People have pain in many different areas around their butt, thigh, leg, etc.  We all feel pain differently and in different places.

Have you had x-rays to tell you what is wrong with your hip?

Surprisingly many people have a great deal of pain in the middle of their butt after surgery during their post op recovery.  That does, however, go away.

I am sorry I can't tell you more.  I know a surgeon can after he/she looks at your x-rays.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:08:03 AM »
I thought I had back problems for years. Fact is, I probably do have some, but my bilateral hip surgery cured most of it.

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R  6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

John C

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »
Backside pain like you describe can be very difficult to diagnose. Twenty years ago i had the pain that you describe. For many months it was treated as hip pain, but was finally diagnosed as a ruptured disc in my back. The back surgery completely eliminated the pain immediately. For the last ten years, I have been dealing with similar pain on the opposite side, and this time went with the hip diagnosis (x-rays and MRI show problems in both areas). After a resurfacing in June, the pain is gone, except for in the late night and early morning hours when it still wakes me up, though this continues to improve some.
My only advice is to really try to get a clear answer on the primary cause before going for surgery, since the referred pain can be so similar.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »
I get severe pain in my lower buttock sometimes when walking. It doesn't happen all the time and I don't know what triggers it. At the same time I get pain in my groin and radiating down my thigh to my knee. The only way I can get rid of it is by repositioning. I have to sometimes bend my leg up as far as I can towards my chest which gives a bit of relief. (Not easy when you're walking along the street). Usually once I sit down the pain dissipates.
I also thought I had a back problem but my Dr insists my hip problem is causing the pain. My fear is that after my surgery I'll still have the pain but hearing other peoples stories gives me hope.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

sherry

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:26:53 PM »
Same as Mike thinking I had back problems for years before hip dx'ed. After resurf all that was gone until my rt hip started in June. Got same thing back again. I can get pain in my rt side of my butt if I do too much now but that will be gone after rt side resurf.

Sherry LC+ 11-10-06 Kennedy
RBHR in 28 days 11-06-08 Raterman

cindy26

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
I have pains in my butt all of the time.  I had surgery on my back twice this year so the drs kept thinking it was spine related.  I also had groin pain, thigh, and behind my knee pain.  I kept telling my spine dr that it wasn't back related.  I told him that I have had 4 hip surgeries in my childhood due to slipped capital femoral epiphysis.  I knew something was wrong but he would not order an x-ray.  I finally called my PCP and asked him to order an x-ray of my hip.  The hip x-ray confirmed exactly what I thought.  It was my hip.  It said I had avascular necrosis, osteoarthritis, and osteopyte formation from previous surgeries.  I am 26 years old.  I knew this was coming.  My orthopaedic dr told me when I was 18 and had the pins removed out of my hips that I would need a replacement in my early 20's.  At that time the resurfacing wasn't really heard of here in the small town I live in.  I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he said that it would be a great thing for me.  My only issue is because I have had pins in my hip that the old pin tracks will cause the resurfacing cap to be unstable.  I have to go for a MRI to see if they can do it or if I have to have a THR. 

windsurfhippy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Thanks to all of you who replied. I am having the procedure done Oct. 21st. I am hopeful that it will relieve the butt pain as well as the front. From your stories, it sounds hopeful. Cindy, I"m so sorry you have to experience this at such a young age. I thought I was a youngster patient at 45. I highly advise you to personally e-mail both Pat Walker and Vicky Marlow for helpful advice. I am sure one of the top surgeons such as Dr. Mont would take on your case. Good luck to you.

John C

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 12:14:28 AM »
Windsurhippy,
Good luck on your surgery. I just realized from your name that I should have mentioned in my earlier reply that my wife and I have been in the windsurf business in Hawaii for 20 summers. I have had to stay off the water this summer after my resurfacing in June because of adhering to Dr. Gross's six month rule, but I am planning on getting back to hard sailing next summer after the winter ski season. If you feel like it, post your windsurfing comeback in the athletics section and we can compare notes. I have seen mixed results in my windsurfing students who have had THR's (one is on his third revision, two quit sailing after a couple of years related to concern  about their hips, and three have been very happy); and a very good result in the one student who had a resurfacing (at age 70 8)).

John  Left/Biomet/Gross/ 6-08
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

bporter44

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
I have had pain almost everywhere mentioned all the replies at some time or another. Dr told me pain radiates. Another thing that started happening to me was sot tissue injusries around other joints because I was altering my gate so much to compensate for the pain. I had the same problems mentioned with my lower back. Dr told me it was the result of stress transfer to my spine as a result of no cartilage in my hips as well as pain radiation. For me, all the doubts I had about the different pains I was having went away when I got the corisone injections in my hips. They all went away. Also, the soft tissue injuries have healed because I am walking properly. I cant wait for my surgery because the temporary relief I am having will be permanent. Good luck!
Bo Porter

Big Bill

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
Big Bill here .... I had pain in several areas as my pre-surgical condition worsened. Primarily in the hip and lower back...the pain did travel down the front of my thigh at times. It is unbeilevable what havoc a worn out hip can do to other areas  :o. All is good now and I do not have the issues I had b4 resurfacing  ;D.  A huge thanks to Dr. Kreuzer,his team and Cormet! Pat ... a special thanks to you and this wonderful forum !

Big Bill  C.A.S.H.  7/9/08   8)

blmjumper

• Hope is not a strategy
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »
It's amazing how much referred/radiating pain can effect other areas of the body. I thought my knee was toast, but no...just referred pain from the hip as the knee checked out fine.

Some days it's an ache in the groin...other days stabbing pain in the hiney, or running down the leg. Always something new. Locked up twice this summer...now that's fun!!

Windsurfhippy....I'm headin' to Bonaire next week...water-starts are a b***h, but it'll be good to sail some

Good luck with the op next week!

windsurfhippy

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »
Thanks to all and fellow sailors. I'm hoping to be on the water this spring. Bonaire! Man I'm jealous. Have fun.

windsurfhippy

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »
Greetings all,
I am 20 days post-op today. All butt and hip pain is gone. I am walking a mile a day with cane and hoping to be caneless in 2 to 3 weeks. The only pain I have is in my front thigh from learning to use muscles(hip flexors) that I have been favoring for years. This procedure has been great for me. My only issues were feeling bad when getting off the pain meds. I am now pain and med free.

Jerry RBHR 10/21/08 Dr. Raterman

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
I had lower back pain prior to surgery, I felt stiff like a board and bent like a twig.  It didn't really travel too much further then low low back, but now that I did the surgery, that pain is not there any more, and its been only 7 days.  It was gone from day one.

BTW, I Kite surf with a pants/seat harness, figured some of the pain was from that, but now I think it was more from the way the muscles to the hip attach to the front and back of you.

Eric

blmjumper

• Hope is not a strategy
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »
Glad to hear y'all are doing well. The wind in Bonaire was hit and miss...but caught some good squall winds when storms rolled through.

My port side water start was tough with that hip...but the starboard side was good to go. Still have my duck gibe after all those years not sailing. Go figure.

Three weeks from last Monday....Left hip resurfacing with a Cormet. Skeert..but can't wait till it's done.

I don't remember what it was like to be pain free.

percy hipkiss

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »
Cindy:I was feeling sorry for myself until I read your post.

However, my buttocks ache like Buxton (local expression) when I've been lying down for about half an hour. This is currently the worst problem I have. Moving about in bed requires planning, and I groan a lot! I've been relegated to the back bedroom these last twelve months!

Of course, the odd involuntary movement in bed has me waking up screaming (in a very restrained British kind of way) this acute pain puts the aching butt in the shade of course.

During the day - almost as soon as I get moving the backside pain goes away. Often though when lifting a leg to climb stairs I'll get that nagging ache in the butt. Strange, because I can sometimes do  a hundred step-ups (nine inches) without much  of a problem...though I'll often suffer for it later. I try to keep the p/k's to  a minimum as I have a penchant for moderate alcohol. I have found this thread helpful, as I was about to post about buttock aches myself.
Ain't life grand?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:59:43 PM by percy hipkiss »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM