+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turmoil!  (Read 15866 times)

Grimbo

Turmoil!
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:32:45 AM »
Hi everyone, just found this site and thought I'd post.

I am a 43 year old male and I have had problems with my hips (mainly the left hip) for many years (10+). I have virtually no sideways motion of my legs when standing but full backwards and forwards motion. I have learned to live with this and I know what I can and can't do.

I get pain every few weeks which lasts for a few days. I also have knee problems which (apparently) are caused by my hips.

I play inline hockey about 3 times a week (although quite often I have to play through the pain).

I have been offered a hip resurfacing but my problem is deciding whether to proceed with it or not!

When my hip pain flares then I want the surgery... When I am relatively trouble free, I think "should I wait a few more years!"

Can anyone give me some advice, anecdotes or even just their thoughts on this.

Many thanks.

Graeme

obxpelican

Re: Turmoil!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »
Graeme,

Only you can know when it's time, but, others on this board have used to following as guides as to when to have the surgery.

1) Does your hip pain cause you to have serious life changes, for instance have you stopped doing the things that you love?

2) If your hip gets really bad do you have a job that will allow you to sit rather than stand?

3) Can you time your surgery based on your job or family needs?  Remember in most cases your surgery is more an elective surgery not an emergency surgery. 

4) Is your hip pain causing you to lose sleep?

5) Has your OS told you that if you wait too long you might not be able to get a hip resurfacing?

In the end, your decision should be based on your personal decision with the help of an medically educated person like an orthopedic surgeon. 

Good luck to you.

Chuck

Hi everyone, just found this site and thought I'd post.

I am a 43 year old male and I have had problems with my hips (mainly the left hip) for many years (10+). I have virtually no sideways motion of my legs when standing but full backwards and forwards motion. I have learned to live with this and I know what I can and can't do.

I get pain every few weeks which lasts for a few days. I also have knee problems which (apparently) are caused by my hips.

I play inline hockey about 3 times a week (although quite often I have to play through the pain).

I have been offered a hip resurfacing but my problem is deciding whether to proceed with it or not!

When my hip pain flares then I want the surgery... When I am relatively trouble free, I think "should I wait a few more years!"

Can anyone give me some advice, anecdotes or even just their thoughts on this.

Many thanks.

Graeme
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Grimbo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »
Thanks for replying Chuck,

> 1) Does your hip pain cause you to have serious life changes, for instance have you stopped doing the things that you love?

I can't really do any more than play hockey... I would like to do other forms of excercise but if for example I went to the gym on Monday, that might mean that I would miss Tuesdays hockey. I can't get my leg over a bike, I can't climb on or over anything and being intimate with Mrs. Grimbo is often painful.

All these things I have learned to cope with and they don't really bother me - BUT... is the fact that I have learned to live with them though enough reason to delay the surgery!

> 2) If your hip gets really bad do you have a job that will allow you to sit rather than stand?
> 3) Can you time your surgery based on your job or family needs?  Remember in most cases your surgery is more an elective surgery not an emergency surgery.

I work from home and I have my own business - these kinds of issues are not a problem at all for me.

I should also mention that I am in the UK so I have no insurance or payment issues to consider.

4) Is your hip pain causing you to lose sleep?

> Sometimes but not often... Again, it is one of those things I have learned to manage!

5) Has your OS told you that if you wait too long you might not be able to get a hip resurfacing?

No, he pretty much asked me if I wanted it. Due to a painful episode a week or so earlier - I had told myself that if he asked I would say yes, even though I may not be in pain that day.

He also asked me whether I wanted a Birmingham hip or ceramic... I'll ask that in an appropriate thread.

Thanks again Chuck and anyone else who would like to offer me any suggestions or thoughts.

Graeme

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
Graeme,

You're certainly in a good way.  You realize that your problem is not cancer and you seem to be your own best patient advocate.   I think you have things under control.

I would add one thing, this does not happen this way for everyone, but, my hip pain increased 3 fold the last 6 months before I decided to get the surgery.  My point being, don't wait so long that you end up on crutches...... you want to be able to walk into the hospital and walk out on crutches.  I was told by my doctor and his surgical assistant that they did not know how I could be walking with the condition my hip is in.

This coming Thanksgiving I'll be surf fishing for Stripers in North Carolina, that is something I could have only dreamed of last year.

Give the Queen our best!

Good luck with your hip Graeme.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
Graeme,

I wasn't inclined to have my hip replaced when x-rays showed severe osteoarthritis in July, 2007, age 54 since I had mild to moderate pain after overdoing it.  I even field dressed, quartered and dragged sections of an entire moose in Sept 2007.  I downhill skied aggressively last winter.  In May, 2008 after blue grouse hunting in the snow, my left hip was noticeably distressed.  This summer I walked with a chronic limp and my left hip was toast after mowing the lawn.  My left leg had atrophied to about 2/3 size of the right leg due to limping.  X-rays taken in July, 2008 showed little change from a year ago.  I experienced mild to moderate pain from mowing the lawn instead of moving a moose a year ago.  I sent my x-rays to 4 prominent hip resurfacing surgeons who all agreed I was a good candidate for hip resurfacing surgery.  Dr. DeSmet, Belgium even advised that I get it done urgently as I am wearing away my bones.  So I had it done by Dr. Su at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) on 9/29/08 and couldn't be happier.  The pain is gone and I am rapidly progressing through rehab at 3 1/2 weeks post-op.  I have been riding an exercise bicycle for 22 minutes daily and most of the swelling is gone.  You are in UK so I would see Dr. McMinn who invented the BHR device.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

bciam

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
Graeme,

I just saw your original post.  It sounds like your symptoms are similar to what mine were.

I am 36 now, In looking back, I started having symptoms when I was 29.  Slowly, I started losing my range of motion laterally.  Back and forth I had no problems.  Gradually my range of motion got continually worse.  I tried playing hockey through the pain last winter and it was a miserable failure.  I was also starting to have trouble biking and even hiking was starting to cause problems.  Any type of slight lateral movement was causing pain.  Playing any sports with my kids was being affected, my sleep was starting to be affected and although the pain was not unbearable it was seriously affecting my quality of life.  That is when I decided to have the surgery.  I am 5 months out and so far I would say that I am very happy that I made that decision.

I hope all goes well with whatever decision you make. 

-Brian     

Grimbo

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
Brian,

Thanks for getting in touch...

I'm guessing that you haven't put the foil on yet (or the skates)... Do you feel like you are almost ready to skate again?

Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine... Full backwards forwards, no lateral whatsoever - moderate to medium pain (probably due to how I have learned my limits over the years).

The craziest things like standing upright at a urinal are becoming near impossible!

Anyhoo... I go under the knife next Friday, so fingers crossed!

I would love to hear more about your recovery, please let me know.

Regards

Graeme

Bionic

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »
I've just recently decided to go forward with surgery.  I'm 47 and have had hip pain since 2001.  It's been occasionally bad since 2003, and often very bad since 2005.

Several things made me realize that now is the time.  The pain started getting worse and more frequent.  I became more limited in my activities.  Outdoor activities became painful.  I couldn't walk well on grass.  Running and eliptical training have been out for years.  Now, even my stationary bike is bothering me.

I started feeling unstable on my feet.  I nearly fell down a flight of stairs after suddenly shifting my weight following a stab of pain from my hip.  I nearly fell on top of my 7 year old the other day after he grabbed my leg.  It started to feel that not having the surgery might be riskier than having it.

Also, I started feeling more optimistic about surgery.  I learned that resurfacing can provide pain-free and versatile operation for decades, maybe even for the rest of my life.  Even if the resurf fails, I can still get a MOM THR, which is not such a terrible option.  Jimmy Conners and Mary Lou Retton seem to be doing fine after their THRs.

Finally, I really started to feel that life was slipping away.  I could be having so much more fun.  My family could be having so much more fun with me.  I'm losing the opportunity to make memories.  Someday, I may have no choice but to live with being handicapped.  But for now I have a choice, and my choice is to be healthy.

Grimbo

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »
Now the operation is closing in on me I'm starting to be fed the do's and don'ts...

No bending over, no sleeping on your side, only sitting in chairs of certain heights, toilet seat restrictions, no crossing legs.

Can anyone ease my mind that these restrictions aren't as bad as I'm beginning to think they are?

Many thanks everyone.

Graeme.

wayne-0

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
Hey Graeme,
The limits aren't that bad because they are only temporary. The worst part for me was having to sleep on my back. The good news was my Doc told me as soon as it is comfortable to roll or sleep on my side I could as long as I keep a pillow between my legs.I had bi-lateral resurfacing done Nov 7th  19 days ago and couldn't be happier with the results so far. I was able to roll on my right side after 8 days and my left side about four days after that, so sleeping is much more pleasant now. What made it comfortable to sleep on my side is when the swelling went down. All the other restrictions are no big deal.Good luck.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

DirkV

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »
HI Graeme,
If I read this thread correctly, today was your day! Best wishes to you. Yesterday was our Thanksgiving holiday in the US, and soon you should have reason to be thankful after successful surgery and then recovery.
Regarding the restrictions, I consider the questions somewhat moot because they are mostly things you cannot do right away. Your muscles have been cut and stitched, and at least for me, I couldn't do things like lift my legs past 90 deg. or sit on the toilet without the riser. I'm some 8 months post surgery, and from this perspective, the first month is a distant memory. Sleeping (or lack of a good night's sleep) was the worst for me. I had very little pain, but I was just uncomfortable enough that I couldn't sleep well. Enjoy the quick recovery that you make in the first month. I think it's one of those 80% / 20% things where the first 80% comes fastest and easiest. And it's good to have those early milestones such as retiring the toilet seat riser  :) .
I've also found that the first thing to go with arthritis (the lateral ROM) is the hardest thing to get back after resurfacing. Moving in a forward/backward plane, I'm already almost entirely recovered. Riding a bicyle, for example, has not been a problem (rode 80 miles last weekend with absolutely no problem).
I am, or was, a hockey player too, and the lateral demands of goaltending are still a concern to me. But the recovery continues. There are platueaus in the recovery, but with work and stretching, it is still getting better and better. All in all, I'm optimistic about returning to a fairly high level of physical activity.
Best of all, I'm ready to jump in when the kids want to play badminton or basketball, or when we go for a family hike.
Look forward to hearing of your successful surgery and recovery,
-Dirk
Bilat 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball, ASR
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Grimbo

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 04:58:46 AM »
Thanks everyone...

Dirk, my op is next Friday so I have a few more days to think about things!

I can't say I'm worried... not about pain anyway!

I'm worried about being put to sleep (never had it done before), the blood clot implications (having had a mini-stroke a few months ago) and ultimately I'm worried about my ability to get playing hockey again (after all, I could have put this off for a few more years).

bciam

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »
Graem,

I actually started skating again at about 3 months post-op.  I started slow, but now I have no problems or concerns regarding skating around and helping out at my son's hockey practices.  As a former goalie, I even tried strapping on the pads a couple of weeks ago, nothing serious, just wanted to see where I was at.  That went pretty well, I still have some flexibility restrictions, but I am hopeful that I will continue my progress and get back to the net by the beginning of next year.

I started some light jogging last month and have no real problems biking or swimming.  From what I remember, the first month after post-op was a little tough but not that bad.  Do be careful with the pain killers, I took them for about a week and when I stopped I believe I had withdrawl.  Otherwise, I think the fact that I knew mentally that I would get better every day (instead of worse every day, pre-surgery mentality) really makes recovery a positive experience.

I wish you the best and hope your surgery and recovery go well and look forward to hear how it goes.

-Brian

Grimbo

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »
My op has been brought forward to tomorrow so the next you'll hear from me I will hopefully be a member of your exclusive club.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in this and other threads and thanks to Pat for providing this invaluable resource!

Graeme.

Grimbo

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:47:31 AM »
Well here I am, 5 days post-op.

My surgeon says everything went to plan. I had an epidural and woke up later with my new hip!

To be brutally honest, the only surprise is how much pain I am in - I kind of assumed everything else would happen, but for some reason - the pain has taken me by surprise!

One unforseen complication is that the swelling in my leg has triggered an arthritis attack in my knee on the operated side whic is severely hindering my physiotherapy.

Sleeping is a problem, not really because of the pain, but because my body is saying "if you don't let me sleep on my side, i'm not gonna let you sleep!".

Had a few moments of regret, but I'm sure that when I begin to see some kind of improvement - I'll be on my way.

Cheers everyone.

Bionic

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Graeme,

Since your pain was not continuous before the surgery, you're not getting to experience the relief from that pain that many people report.  Still, I predict that in less than one month, you'll be very happily enjoying your new hip and the freedom from those painful episodes.

Your knee will also thank you, eventually, since walking without a limp will stess it much less.

DirkV

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
Hi Graeme,
Congrats on your new hip! As somebody who has preceded you by 3/4 of a year, let me say that in a few months you'll be glad for selective memory, and the initial trauma's won't seem very real. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation. Like you, I wasn't in great pain to preclude sleep - just enough, especially combined w/ concern that I'd roll over wrong, to make sleep a problem. For me this sleep-deprived state lasted approx 3 weeks after surgery. With my bilat, I had the advantage of learning from my first surgery. When I mentioned the sleep issue to my surgeon (and requested sleeping pills for after the 2nd), he advised that if I don't normally have sleep problems, the root is probably the minor pain and he'd rather have me take the long-term (6 or 8 hr) pain meds at night. That helped somewhat after my 2nd surgery. But those drugs tend to constipate, and for the most part, I preferred to keep things moving  :) and live w/ lack of sleep.
And how is that brick in your buttocks? I found that it's not noticeable on day-to-day basis, but week-by-week, that feeling diminishes, the pain from using muscles that have been cut and stitched goes away. Recovery is a great thing. Enjoy it during these first few weeks when it's going the fastest. One day you can't sit on the edge of your bed and lift your leg; the next day you can!
I'm in that phase where I don't participate as much on these boards because hip problems are a thing of the past. But not a day goes by that I don't note something that makes me thankful for the surgery. Like you, I wasn't in bad pain for most daily activities, but I had stopped doing many of the active things that gave much pleasure to life. I'd either not play games/sports with my kids or be in pain and in a bad mood if I did.
We just put up a badminton net in the yard, and I've been playing nearly every day with my son. It's great when he asks to play, and I can enthusiastically say "let's go!" Hockey will be the next thing to come back! I'm sure you'll get back the activities and the life you want. But it's a matter of months--depending on the activity even longer--not weeks.
Keep lookin up,
-Dirk
Bilat ASR, Dr. Ball, 02/08, 03/08.
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Grimbo

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
Thanks Dirk.

Today has been a good day - my ever increasing swelling seems to have subscided and the pain is slightly less than yesterday.

You are right about the brick - it is a weird sensation! I gave it its first good bash yesterday (by being complacent) and it didn't hurt as much as I expected!

I'm now looking forward to the day when it doesn't hurt to walk.

Cheers

Graeme

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM