+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: stalagtites...pain...  (Read 1826 times)

The Wife

stalagtites...pain...
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »
The doc had to clear off lots of bone spurs and that needs to heal so my husband is on 50% weight.

Anyone know anything about bone healing and pain after having "stalagtites" being cleared away. (BHR)

My husband says the pain in his hip is the same as before:(

We're at day 7.

obxpelican

Re: stalagtites...pain...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
Some doctors limit weight bearing for a number of reasons, I can't say I've ever read where a doctor limits your weight bearing due to bone spurs, maybre they were really severe.  None of us are doctors so listen to your doctor as he is the only person who is educated and knows your husband's case.

In regard to pain in the hip 7 days post op.... is he having shooting pain (like a 9 or 10) when he places 50% weight on, or is it more like pain near and around the incision?  If your husband is having really bad shooting pain I would call the doctor, but discomfort 7 days post op is very normal.  Make sure he is icing the hip area and make sure to elevate if he has any swelling.

Let your husband know that everyone heals at different lengths of time, some people take a few weeks until they feel really well, others at 10 days are moving around like crazy. 

I wish your husband lot's of luck with his hip.

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: stalagtites...pain...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:12:53 AM »
Hi The Wife

The newer doctors have become more and more conservative post op from resurfacing.  They are trying to make sure there are no femur neck fractures.  So they are tending to keep patients at less weight bearing longer and keeping them on crutches longer.  That just seems to be the trend from the newer doctors.

Chuck is asking a good question when he asks the type of pain your husband is expiencing.  Normally, most people have a lot of pain from the incision and the soft tissue and muscles around the hip.  Normally, the actual bone on bone hip pain is gone.  It also takes some people more time than others to become pain free.  Since he is having pain - is he taking his pain meds?  He should not let the pain get ahead of him.  Take his meds as prescribed to help with the pain.  Don't skip them if he starts to feel a little better.  Many of us did not have a great deal of pain while others have very bad pain.  We are all different.

Many of us had bone spurs and cysts. It did not seem to make the surgery more painful to have them removed.

I am guessing that he is just having pain from the surgery.  If for some reason the pain doesn't get better or even gets worse - you should call your doctor.  That is always the safe place to get answers to medical questions.  We share our experiences, but we just can't give you the answers your doctor can.

I hope his pain subsides soon.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM