+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Not going to be a surface hippy  (Read 2012 times)

cindy26

Not going to be a surface hippy
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
Hey I am not going to be a surface hippy.  I have to do a total hip replacement.  The dr told me today that because my hip was rotated from the slipped capital femoral epiphysis that the HR would dislocate with even the smallest bump or fall.  He recommeded a THR.  He said with the THR he could actually correct my hip and the rotation of it along with everything else.  He said the recovery time is about 2 weeks longer than a HR.  He is going to do a cermanic hip so it will last me longer.  He said the cermanic hips have been known to last 40yrs.  He said with my age it probably won't last me that long but atleast 20-30yrs.  I was kinda of disappointed with this but I guess it will be ok. 

obxpelican

Re: Not going to be a surface hippy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »
I wonder why he won't do a large MOM?  Seems to me the metal on metal would last longer, maybe even a lifetime if you're lucky assuming none of the components come loose.

Have you considered a 2nd and 3rd opinion?  I know in earlier posts you wanted to stay local but this is something that you will have in you that you want to last a long time.  I traveled 8 1/2 hours to get my hip done because I was unsure of my local OS, many others have traveled further.

It would not cost you anything for a 2nd opinion.

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

cindy26

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
I have already had 2 opinions.  My orthopaedic surgeon that has done all my hip surgeries in the past couldn't do it so he wanted to send me to someone else to see if they could.  He said he went to a HR conference last week and there was 7 very well known HR surgeons there and only 1/7 would do a slipped capital femoral epiphysis case.  He said that I was welcome to see if someone else could do it but I probably would have more complications out of it.  He said the only way to totally fix my hip was the replacement because the whole socket is deformed and the femur is totally rotated.  He said that was pretty much my only option.  He said he was afraid of that and that why he wanted me to do the MRI.  I don't know.  He told me the first visit because of my age and the shape of my hip HR would only probably last me 20-30yrs so really there is no difference.  I just want it fixed.  The pain is unbearable.  If it takes this to fix it then thats what I will probably end up doing.  People have had hip replacements for yrs and the complications are very minimal.  Traveling is totally not an option.  I have having to travel 1hr to do the surgery now and really thats too far.  I have a 2 yr old and nobody to really help me out with him expecially if I leave.  If I leave my husband will come with me but if I am closer to home he can go home at night and be with our son and still keep him in daycare during the day. 

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
That sounds like some pretty specialized surgery if only 1 of 7 of that group would do that type of surgery.  Some of the best surgeons in the world were present at the LA conference.

You never know, maybe you will get longer than the doctor is saying out of your THR, you never know with the newer hardware. 

Good luck with the surgery--- who is your doctor?

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

cindy26

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
Thanks Chuck,

The dr is Dr Jenkins with Watauga Orthopaedics in east tennessee.  He is a young dr but has very good recommendations by other people in this area.   I can't wait to get it done and not hurt.  The incision is the same size but the surgery is a little more lengthy and a little longer recovery.  If it fixes everything in my hip then that will be great.  I have walked so crooked for the last 15 yrs that I am going to have to learn how to walk all over again.

Cindy

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »
Cindy,

Let us know when your surgery will be so we can send lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way, while you won't be a surface hippy you're still one of us.

I can't wait to see you post when you're walking in straight lines.

Take care

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
Hi Cindy
I think since you have such a special hip problem, it is much better to be conservative and get out of pain.  The surgeons at the conference are very conservative and always were concerned about giving the patient the best outcome possible.

A ceramic THR is not a bad solution.  THR patients, according to the conference doctors, are just as active as resurfacing patients.  The main goal is to get out of pain and back to an active life.  Also with you being younger, you won't have to worry about the metal ion issue if you are going to have more children.

We all want resurfacings since it is bone sparing, but THRs are not always a bad solution when they use the large ball devices and they are placed by experienced surgeons.

It is best to be conservative.  You don't want to face a revision surgery for years and years.

I wish you the very best.  We will want to hear how your are doing.  Please keep in touch with us.  We don't mind if you are a THR patient.  We are still concerned about you.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

cindy26

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »
Thanks Pat and Chuck.  I guess I've got to do what I've got to do to get out of all of this pain.  I hate doing a THR at 26 though.  I guess it could be worse.  From what the dr said, the surgery recovery is not very different.  I will be in the hospital 2-3 days and go home on crutches.  The goal before I leave the hospital is to walk on my new hip 50feet.  I wish there was a site like this one for those who have went through it.  I was hoping for the resurfacing and I knew that I could come here and ask questions.  This is the only way to totally correct my hip.  It will be weird walking with my feet in front of me.  They have always been to the side of me.  It will probably be a little bit more difficult for me because the muscles that most people use to walk are not the ones I use.  My muscles are backwards (not really) but I use the opposite ones to walk with since my legs are so far out.  I'm going to have to relearn to walk. 

Cindy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:58:22 PM »
Hi

Many THR patients with the newer hip devices have quick recoveries.  I think your recovery might be a bit slower since you are going to have to accustom your muscles to move differently after you get your hips straightened.  You body will have some adjustment to do.  I remember someone posting that they are so surprised to see their feet pointing forward after surgery.  I can't remember the specifics - but surgery rotated their hips properly so their feet pointed frontwards.

I had one surgeon recently tell me that Martha Stewart who received a MOM THR was back to work in 4 days.  That's a pretty quick recovery. So THRs don't always mean a slow recovery.  You may have to take it slower if they are doing a whole lot of work on your shallow hips.

Just be patient and look forward to a painfree life.

You are welcome to keep posting here.  We don't mind talking with THR patients. After all, any of us that will ever need revisions will be getting THRs.  I have the  http://www.hipsforyou.com website about THRs. It has a discussion group, but it is not anywhere as active as this group.  http://hipsforyou.com/totalhiptalk/index.php   

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

cindy26

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
Thanks Pat.  I appreciate that.  I will have to go and at least check those sites out.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat