+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: scheduled for THR 1-5-09  (Read 1908 times)

cindy26

scheduled for THR 1-5-09
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:04:46 AM »
Well I finally got my date for my THR.  It is schedule for 1pm on jan 5.  I am really nervous.  I just really wished that I could have done the resurfacing instead.  One of the anthesiologists I work for said I should get a second opinion.  Dr Jenkins (Ortho) said in his office notes that I got and read, that with the severe deformity of the femoral neck and head that it is not possible.  He said that after looking at my MRI.  Does this make since?  I think it does because the resurfacing is actually using the same neck just a different ball and with the THR the neck is removed and a cermanic one put in.  Am I correct there.  I am a nurse and I am very nosey so I always request my records about a week after they are done.  What scares me is in the note he said I am not a good candidate for the hip replacement either because of my age and history of slipped capital femoral epiphysis.  His note says I have Right hip severe degenerative joint disease and severe deformity of the neck and head of the femur.  Do you chance that the replacement is going to work?  I know the resurfacing is totally out of the question.  He mentioned to me that most drs would not want to do a THR on me because of my age but because of the condition of my hip and the severity of my pain that he is willing to do this.  Alot of drs drive me crazy.  I know they have supposing have "your" best intrest in mind, but come on just because you are 26 doesn't mean that you need to hurt all of the time to you get in the older range to replace.  I barely can put on socks and shoes and thats only slip on shoes.  If I had to tie them there would be no way and shaving my legs is totally out of the question (sorry men).  I do good to make it 8 hrs at work and usually only 3-4 is some walking the rest is sitting because they are trying to work with me and let me answer the nurses line.  I guess I am just anxious and scared and I really hope I am making the right choice.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: scheduled for THR 1-5-09
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
Hi Cindy

I would like to wish you good luck on your upcoming surgery.  I guess you are still not sure about getting a THR, but you have made your decision.  If you are not able to travel abroad or great distances to use another doctor, then I think you have to have faith in the one you have choosen.

It really does sound like you have a very difficult case.  I can't remember if you sent your x-rays to any of the really experienced surgeons like Dr. Gross, De Smet, Mont, Bose, etc.  You might feel better if you did that and get input from them.  Perhaps they would give you the same message that only a THR will work for you.  The really experenced surgeons will give you a free email consultation if you send them your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg

If I am repeating myself, I apologize.  I talk to so many people that sometimes I forget what I tell them.

Sometimes we just can't have what we want.  The thing you obviously need now is to be out of pain and able to be active.  Sometimes a THR is the only way to go.

I hope you will still keep in touch with us.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

cindy26

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »
pat,

Is there anywhere I can go to ask questions to one of the resurfacing surgeons.  I never get a chance to get on here during the chat rooms with them.  Usually my son is still awake and he is almost 2.  He won't let me go the the den where my computer is during the evening.  Even if I could get you to maybe possibley ask for me.  I have got 2 opinions.  Both of them said they couldn't resurface me.  I was reading the notes and he also said I was not the best candiate for even replacement because of my slipped capital femoral epiphysis.  Apparently it has totally deformed the head and the neck. My question is:

Has any of them resurfaced severe slipped capital femoral epiphysis (unstable) in which resulted in a twisted head and neck?

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:35:33 PM »
Check your private messages.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:41:38 PM »
Hi Cindy

Several of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the world will talk to you for free if you email them and send them your x-rays in a digital format or as a .jpg

They are Dr. De Smet of Belgium who has done over 3000 resurfacings and Dr. Bose who has done over 1100, Dr. Gross who has done over 1500 and Dr. Mont who has done over 1600   They are very use to people with very difficult problems asking them their opinions.  They will be kind and understanding.  THis is their info - just drop them an email telling them I suggested you talk with them as ask for their opinion.  They will answer you and usually pretty quickly.

Dr. Koen De Smet
3000 Hip Resurfacings to date ***
ANCA Clinic
AMC-Gent
Krijgslaan 181
9000 Ghent
BELGIUM
Phone: +(1)32 9 2525903
Fax: +(1)32 9 2526457
+1 for USA & Canada:
E-mail: helpdesk@heup.be
ANCA Clinic Website

Dr. Vijay C. Bose
1100 Hip Resurfacings to date ***
BHR Regional centre - India
Apollo Speciality Hospital, 320, Mount Road, Chennai - 600035. INDIA
E-Mail: bose5vijay@hotmail.com
Telephone: 0091-44-(0) 98400 - 32251
Hip Resurfacing India Website

Dr. Thomas Gross
1500 Hip Resurfacings to date***
1910 Blanding Street
Columbia, S.C. 29201
Lee Webb, RN, MSN, CNOR, CRNFA
Assistant to Thomas P. Gross, M.D.
803-256-4107 office, 803-355-2774 pager
803-331-6894 cell, 803-933-6754 fax
Contact email: Ms. Lee Webb, MSN, APRN, NP
South Carolina Joint Replacement Center

Dr. Michael A Mont
1600 Hip Resurfacings to date
Center for Joint Preservation and Reconstruction
Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics
2401 W. Belvedere Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215
Phone (410) 601-8500
Fax (410) 601-8501
Sinai Hospital Website

It might even be worth while to call Dr. Gross and Dr. Mont to try to get them to talk with you quicker.

I hope that helps.  Don't be shy - they are all use to people asking questions and looking for answers.  If anyone has answers for you, it will be the really experenced HR surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

cindy26

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:27 PM »
Thanks Pat

stevel

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:04:46 AM »
Cindy,

Check out pfagundes posts under "Leg Length Problems:  Leg length and turn out" and "Doctor Information" on this web site.  She (Paula) has slipped femoral epiphysis and was seeing Dr. Vail at UCSF in July about a THR vs BHR.  Maybe you can contact her and Dr. Vail to find out more information as she was scheduled for surgery in October.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:13:17 AM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

cindy26

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:40:51 PM »
Thanks,

That helps me out.  The correcting the anatomy of my hip means alot to me.  I would love to walk normal and with the resurfacing it wouldn't happen.  I pretty much got the same answer she did, so it made me feel better.  He said it could be done but was not recommended for that condition with that much deformity.  I sent her a reply back to her post but it shows she hasn't been active since june or july (can't remember). 

stevel

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »
Cindy,

Paula's email is hidden.  She said she would send an email to vicky marlow.  See "Dr. Vail at UCSF", "Doctor Information" tab on this website.  Maybe you can send an email to Vicky to forward to Paula about your problem.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

cindy26

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
Thanks,

I e-mailed Vicky.  I introduced myself and told her my situation and that I would really appreciate if she could give the message to Paula. I would greatly appreciate it.  I told her that Paula and I had the same rare condition and I was wondering what surgery she ended up going through and how it worked out for her.  Any input would be great. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear