+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: my second week  (Read 3251 times)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
my second week
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »
Aloha,

I am writing this to encourage and also to be encouraged by those ahead of me.  My second week went very well with only a few things that I want to bring up and mention for feedback.  I had my first back to the doctors visit since the surgery along with my x-rays  and that went well and very interesting to see what is now in me.  My doctor was impressed with my progress.  I mentioned to him this site and he is looking into become a hipster doctor.   I asked my doctor when I can begin to drive again, and his opinion was when I felt ready since I have not been on the pain meds since the day after my return home.(I did have to take a pain pill the other nite due to a pain in my thigh that feels like I got slammed by a 2x4 deep down to the bone, and my doctor said that was from the trama of the surgery and the dislocating of the joint.) I did find out that when I rest for too long, the leg seems to want to move around or the pain sets in, so flexing helps take the pain away and then as I read that others do, I do some laps in the house, just walking to the kitchen and standing on the leg takes the pain away.

I also went to my first PT this week and the first thing she told me was to walk with one crutch for I was trying to walk no crutch which I can do but only small small steps and with a limp.  It did make more sence to focus on walking perfect with the crutch then to look like I got hit by a bus and learn bad habits.  I went through my range of motion and showed off my strength and was given the excersizes that I need to work on.  It is frustrating to have not even the strength to do a leg lift.  I wonder how long it will be for that muscle to get some strength back, I am not a fan of failure.  When doing my home PT work, I use my other leg to help me do the leg lift, I go back tomorrow for my second PT, and hope for good feedback and perhaps a few more excersizes.

So this last week I did see some growth and found it easier to do things, finding where I have strenght and where I have limits.  The hardest part is not being able to drive....until I pulled myself in my truck to see how it would feel to sit there, I noticed i can reach my gas and brake easily for its my right leg that got the resurface.  Its kind of uncomfortable sitting in the truck, getting in and out too, but I felt good about being in there.  I now have been driving for the last 3 days this week, the first day was not easy, I had to get in and out 6 times and that was its own workout, but the freedom is great!  Woke up  that nite with that deep pain in my thigh, but was able to flex and walk it off.  Today driving around got easier getting in and out and geting more comfortable sitting in the seat. 

I am very proud that I am coming around, still in my mind I want more and faster, but I look at what I couldn't do last week and what I am now doing it this makes me happy.  I will probably be on my one crutch or a cane for a few more weeks due to I want strength and don't want bad habits. I am looking forward toward hitting a pool and try working out in there.  I am looking forward towards these next 2 weeks for my goal for the 4th week is to be very moble and able to do every day things that need to get done around the house.  Thank you for reading this, I know I should just put this in as my story, but I feel that some might want to know what to expect week by week as I do. Mahalo

John C

Re: my second week
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »
It sounds like you are doing great. I think that you will be delighted with how fast things will progress over the next few weeks, including the leg lifts. I do have one thought for you to consider. Some doctors and PTs are not very happy about using one crutch. Mine insisted that I use two crutches for any extensive walking, until I could walk with no limp. A cane or one crutch was okay for around the house, but they were very much against it when I was going for my exercise walks, until I had completely eliminated the limp. Put some focus on comparing how you walk with one crutch or two, and see what you think.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »
Hey Eric,
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, every bit helps.Sounds like your doing fantastic and that is a good thing.Seems like Hawaii is as good a place to rehab as any maybe you have some kind of advantage over the rest of us with your surroundings.Okey so I'm a little jealous do ya blame me?What island do you live on and hows the surf?

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
Wayne,

I live on Kauai, The Garden Island.  The surf has been above average this year to start off this winters swells.  Oh, well for me to miss out on another season.  I actually found it hard to surf with my hip being in its condition for the last 2 years, couldn't pop up as fast as I wanted like before this happened to me, so over the falls or late drops for me, or I had to pick slower waves and use a longboard(no problems, love that).  I got into kite surfing almost 2 years ago for we do have windy days here, and that I could do no problems, just the walk on the beach was my hardship.  I look forward to getting back into surfing, and look forward to getting to kite surf again.  I worry about the heavy impact on the hip that the kiting will have so please, any kiters who had resurface work, write me and let me know how your recovery is/has been going. And Wayne, keep up on the good work, every day I get a stronger and stronger feeling in my leg, and more flexibility, less pain, and things are easier to do.  You too are just about there, keep us posted.

Eric
19 days after surgery

stevel

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
Aloha Eric,

I'm nearly 8 weeks post-op from LBHR Dr. Su at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, NY.  I'm from Douglas, Alaska but I have been to Hawaii about 6 times.  The last time was 1995.  I spent 10 days in Kona and 10 days at Coconut Beach in Kauai.  How is the VOG on the Big Island?  Last time it blocked out the sun after 10 AM.  How is the weather in Kauai?  We have a few inches of snow.  I want to travel to Hawaii (probably in February) since I can't ski until 6 months post-op.  I want to snorkel and swim.  I dropped the cane a couple of days ago and I'm using trekking poles for longer walks in the slush, ice and snow.  I also strap on ice creepers to avoid falling.  I'm nearly back to normal and I do not notice the implant at all.  It feels as natural as my unoperated right hip.  Keep up with your progress.  Each week shows improvement.

Mahalo, Steve or
Gunalcheech, Steve (in Tlingit Indian from Alaska)
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:59:12 AM »
Aloha Steve,

The vog this year has had its days, but that is because the volcano is doing its thing, and the vog is only around when the trade winds don't blow.  The Big Island on light wind days is known to be bad for those who have allergies.  Maui is about 60-70 miles east of that area, so it gets the vog on the light wind days too or the south east winds.  Oahu is about 180 miles from the volcano, so it too can get the effects, especially when the winds are light for a few days.  Kauai has the least effects from vog, but the sky does turn overcast looking.  Kauai is around 300 miles away from the active volcano.

If you do make it out to the islands, ask for any island tips.  If on Kauai, I can take you out to some great snorkel spots, love doing that as one of my usual things.  Imagine a nite snorkel if your up to that, its really fun.  I should be good to go by Feb...

Thanks for your progress update at 8 weeks, I can't wait for the day that I don't even think about it.  Currently, I do think about it as I notice my limp.  Today I walked the mall for my rounds, with a cane, tried not to limp, was good.  Then at home I walked with out the cane, and its only with a slight limp and a small stride, but I concentrate on not limping when ever I walk, whether with or without the cane or crutch, but at least I am getting stronger every time, and I can sit for longer too which is great, and getting in the truck without the aid of my cane pulling my foot in.  All in stride!
Aloha

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:05:35 AM »
Hey Eric, sounds like you are doing great for the 2nd week!  I can't wait to be able to surf again. I gave up a couple years ago and started boogie boarding cause I couldn't get up quick enough, and even paddling and swinging around into position hurt too much. Funny thing, I started really liking the boogie board because I got so tired of battling for waves due to the crowds at Trestles and sano's, that I started going to the suckout, semi closed out beachbreaks that no one wants to surf. I was pretty much a kook surfing because of my hip, but on the boogie board I can takeoff under the lip and ride in the barrel like the good ol' days, and usually be the only one out. I never thought I could have so much fun in crappy closed out beachbreaks ha ha.  But I am really looking forward to regular surfing again. It will probably be san onofre on the 10 footah at first, but I can't wait to paddle and stand up again. Anyway enough of that, glad to hear you are doing well, keep us posted, Bill

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »
Aloha Bill,

You know, I had that same thought, told my friends that too that I would next have to resort to the boogie board due to my hip.  I actually got outsurfed by an excellent gal who rips it up, and that was really one of my last times for surfing, for I felt like a kook.  I am glad though for the kite, for I say that takes brains to use and yet you have to humble yourself for a few months just to get the hang of it, but its ok because everyone who kites had to start there. 
I see you ride bikes, I had a street and a dirt.  In Hawaii the dirt bike of choice is a 2 stroke 250cc bike.  Our usual riding in the mountains is single trek with lots of hill climbs and roots, so when it rains its real dangerous.(how I originally got hurt when I fell into a tree on a hill climb 7 years ago) Some people are converting to the 4 stroke, but you need the 450+ size to climb the hills, and when you fall with them, not easy to restart. The newest thing is the duel sport bikes and hitting Waimea Caynon.  I even think you can rent a bike out here for that, and I could join ya for a ride.

Gotta love Pat for this site and getting to meet other hippies, maybe she will start a poll on what hobby/activities we used to do and how long till we get to get back to doing them and how does the hip react to it verse the old hip, how nervous it is to get back on the horse again, and any other info for that fact. Thanks Pat and everyone for being here for everyone.
Eric

John C

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
Hi Bill and Eric,
 I live on Maui for half of the year (teach skiing the other half), and I too experienced having my hip force me to give up stand up surfing about ten years ago, after 25 years of surfing all around Hawaii, and both coasts from Canada to Baja. I did play around with longboards and boogie boards for awhile, until a  few years ago I discovered waveskis, and it was great. No problem for the hip, and in small to medium surf, the  short (7'4") epoxy high performance models can rip right up there with any short boards, including inverted aerials. Don't confuse these with a clunky plastic kayak. These are small, light weight performance boards with hard thin rails, and a thruster set-up. I truly expect that all of us will be able to jump to our feet again before too long, but for small surf up to around 4'-6' faces, I plan on staying with the performance of the waveski. Someday we will all get too old to ride a short board, and I feel that the waveski gives the best opportunity to keep that level of performance. Check out the web-site at http://www.waveski.info/nuke/index.php  You just half to open your mind to something different.

John

gl3

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »

Hello Eric , John & Bill ,

Thanks for the progress reports ! I am a 43 yr old surfer who just like you guys have had difficulty getting to my feet the last two years. It sucks to feel like such a kook. I surfed on a longboard twice a few weeks back and it felt great to be in the water but I paid the price afterwards and it was painful to walk for a few days. I am getting a resurfacing done on December 8th and look forward to getting it over with and start moving forward.I love your island eric and have spent some time there (i love middles ) Is it over ambitious for me to think I can be in the water 4 months after surgery ?

Thank you

George

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 01:33:19 AM »
Aloha George,

I am almost at 4 weeks post op and I am starting to think it will be possible for me to surf iat the 4 month mark.  I finally went for a swim today, in a nice sandy lagoon(Salt Pond) did some walking in the sand no crutch, then into the water up to knee high to half body, worked on my stride, trying not to limp when in the water, my balance is not 100% and i do have a slight limp, but its less then the other day.  When I used my legs for the swim portion, I went easy and slow, scissor kicks felt good, didn't push too hard, underwater I could hear a slight click when my stride was pushed, so I took it easy.  I tried to do a different scissor where my feet move apart then close, that felt good and I know that helps my range of motion.  I also went to my knees and just stretched my leg and yes, I can still feel the tightness and slight sore deep in that leg, but its not there like it was 2 weeks ago and I can get a full bend at the knee.  I have heard of some surfing before the 4 month, but I don't need to push myself to something that might mess things up.  The first 2-3 months are the most critical for the bone the take the implant and I don't want to even go there again due to me rushing myself.  I am happy with my pace that I am healing, glad I took the operation when I did, and quiet frankly, didn't really know what I was in store with but thanks to this site, have an understanding of what is going on in me.  If your hip is to the point where it hurts to walk some distances, you walk with a limp, and you can't do the things in life that you love, your going to like the fact that you did the operation and around 6 months later, you will be back ahead of where you are today.  I look forward to every day getting stronger and being able to do more things.

gl3

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:52:06 AM »

Thank you Eric for your words of encouragement ! I think you are right , no need to push things and have a setback ! Have a good weekend.  9
more days till surgery

John C

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 02:09:25 PM »
I started lap swimming and other water exercise daily at four weeks, started paddling a longboard around just to be on the ocean at three months, and got back into waveski surfing at four months (against Dr's orders, who insisted on six months), which was great. I am currently at five months, and back in the mountains for the winter. Daily two to four hour power hikes up and down steep mountain trails feel great, but I could still not jump to my feet on a surfboard due to some remaining stiffness/soreness in a deep squat. This may just be due to the fact that I lived with the bad hip for so long, since I have talked to guys who had THRs, and were back to surfing in four months.

John

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz