+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going through it again...  (Read 13161 times)

xeyeofnewt

Going through it again...
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:19:27 AM »
Had a right BHR on the right in Jan. 2008.   Need one done on the left side.    It was just as bad as the right one.  I want to get it over with but......

Physically, my operation was a major success.

Mentally, not so good.  Nobody really knows about my aniexty, I function at home and work, but something is gnawing away at me. 

I have had some small, short aniexty attacks ever since.    They started the night before my first surgery.  Facing another operation seems so daunting, worst than the first time.   I am worried I am going to go off the deep end this time.

I trust my surgeon, and the surgical team at his hospital of choice, the only option.   The post-op nursing care there is horrible.    The thought of spending another post-op there is awful.

Should I wait until the more moons have passed?   

xeyeofnewt

wayne-0

Re: Going through it again...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
Hey xeyeofnewt,
If your pain is bad don't wait, you know it will not get any better than it feels right now without surgery. As far as yor aniexty is concerned there is a Tom Petty song that has the words  "most things I worry about never happen any way". Going thru life I,ve found that to be the truth.Things I worry about hardly ever happen, keep that in mind and good luck to ya.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Jonner

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »
I personally think that if you wait, the pain will eventually get so bad that it will outweigh all your other fears and you will want to do anything to bring it to an end. Much better not to put yourself through that bit and start on the road to recovery! I'm waiting for my second op too and I agree the thought of doing it all again is a bit daunting, but hey think of the symmetry you will achieve. It's great you have got a good surgeon -they are the ones that matter.
Good Luck
Jonner

Bionic

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
Why do  you think you feel so anxious?  Since your anxiety is persisting beyond the apparent success of your first procedure, I have to wonder whether your anxiety is not caused by fear of the procedure itself so much as something else--maybe something that you associate with the procedure.

Do you have anybody who can stay in the hospital with you during your next surgery?  Sometimes it's the isolation and vulnerability that gets to people.  You might fee a whole lot better if you knew you weren't going to be alone.

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »
Hi

I had my left BHR done in 2004.  I had my right BHR done this March.    First one was in a private room in a private hospital.  Second one in a ward in an NHS (state?) hospital.    I enjoyed the ward more as the company and goings-on around me helped pass the time more quickly.

Going into the second one, there were benefits - I knew what to expect and I'd had a positive outcome with the first one.   There were also drawbacks - no driving and sleeping on my back for six weeks were my obvious ones.     For me, the chief benefits were going to be the absence of pain and the return to "normal" activities.    Those long term benefits have been worth the operations and the recuperations.    I have no regrets.

I hope things go well for you.

Best wishes.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

ciaojjam

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
This appears to be an old post and I'm wondering if you've gone through with the second surgery..just had my 7th hip surgery, 3rd revision..I have not posted here but your anxiety spoke to me.  I had the same thing..I really think I remember parts of my previous surgery and that the experience of going into the OR causes me anxiety, plus the pain meds/anesthesia.  I went with a full supply of xanax..needed it and got me through.  I hate to rely on chemicals but not having the surgery is not always an option.  I had a full blown panic attack in recovery..thankfully I was equipped.  Hope this helps.

cwg

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »
Am new here and am reading thru posts that apply to me. And this one does. I woke up from my BHR with terror. Went in calm and excited and came out of it, terrified, and certain I had made a mistake.
This was four years ago, and anxiety is my new "friend". For no apparent reason.
Coincidentally I have just had my blood work come back and my Chromium Cobalt levels are ten times higher than the safe levels. Oddly enough, some of this comforts and freeks me out at the same time.
I am convinced that my system  immediatly reacted poorly to something foreign in my body, and "spoke" to me with fear.
Who knows.
Am waiting for my x rays to come back
Am not sure I can do another one of these ever ever again
Hope you are well

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »
Wow, I am sorry to hear that.

What were your levels if you don't mind me asking?  Who did the surgery and what device did they use?  Are you male or female and what size femoral component did they use? 

Sorry for all the questions but this helps us understand what the root cause may be for the high metal ion levels.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

cwg

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »
Hey there - Still trying to get an understanding about all of this.. :

Serum Chromium  Ref Range: 1.9-3.8  * Plasma H 1.90-5.80      mine 66.92
Cobalt Plasma  :                                          H  0.51-6.80             25.62
X-rays were taken yesterday- No results yet

I know others have been higher, still, am concerned. Pain, clunking and unwell feeling a lot.. in an otherwise fabulous life.

cheers

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that also.  BTW - I didn't mean to make light of the metal ion issues on the other thread.  I can understand how continued concern over elevated metals, clunking, and thoughts on if and how this all might be connected, could throw one into an anxious state.  I was pretty wound up at my last surgery and I felt like it took about a month for me to stop constantly thinking about my mental state. 

Regardless of the issues in the hip or metals concentrations in blood, I think getting your mental state squared-up is the first priority.  Maybe the hip and the mental state go hand in hand.  I'm no psych or therapist, but I do think it's easy to remain in a do-loop when you get into an anxious state.  It can be hard to get out of that cycle.  I have not heard anything about Cr or Co effecting brain chemistry.     

Maybe after you get some answers from your surgeon, you should consider seeing a therapist?  I don't want to sound cliche hear I just think that if there is no evidence of a connection between elevated metals (Co Cr) and anxiety, then maybe its something simply caused by rumination and general anxiety about the prosthesis.  I hope you find some answers.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Luanna

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Stress is a major trigger that brings on anxiety in me. I've worked with a doctor to help me manage my anxiety fairly well. Xanax can be an absolute life saver during major stressful times. There are other techniques that work too that do not involve medications. If you let anxiety dictate what you do and don't do you will limit yourself tremendously and you will suffer needlessly. It can be addressed.

Hope this helps.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
cwg,
Wondering/worrying about your hip 24/7 takes it's toll on you. Not knowing is what causes the most stress (imo) Once you have all the facts and a game plan it will be easier for you to relax. You said you were both freaked out and calmed at the same time when you got your blood tests back, I get that 100%. Your freaked out at the thought of a revision, but at the same time at least you will know if it's "A" or "B", and can move forward accordingly. Information is your best friend. I've been in limbo for about 2-1/2 years, at 6 months it was "Your cup is too steep we need to tear it out now" to "It's not that bad", "lets leave it for now and keep an eye on it", to "Your levels are a lttle high, but not too bad, lets keep an eye on it some more" and now, "You are reacting abnormally, we need a thr asap" to "We might be able to do a cup only revision, maybe.." Limbo is what sucks the most and causes the most stress(like I said, "in my opinion") When the doctor basicly tells you, "Huh, we might have to rip it out, but it might be ok, have a nice day"  Somehow you are supposed to put that information away somewhere in your brain and not think about it ? Maybe a few hours here and there but good luck after that. Anyway enough about me. I know what you're going through, get all the information you can, take a deep breath and try to relax. You'll get it figured out and be fine 8) and try to concentrate on your "Otherwise fabulous life"  Good luck ! 8)
Hope this helps....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:46:16 PM by B.I.L.L. »

cwg

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
B.I.L.L

What can I say except 'thank you' for that  message?
Yep. Yep. Yep.

Glad you are doing so well- Really am

cwg

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
B.I.L.L

What can I say except 'thank you' for that  message?
Yep. Yep. Yep.

Glad you are doing so well- Really am

cwg

Haha you're welcome and thanks. 8)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat