+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hyaline injections in hips  (Read 11179 times)

Buddy

hyaline injections in hips
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has tried, or heard of, Hyaline injections into their hip joints? I've heard about a doctor VJ Vad who performs these in New York, at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I'm curious to know if anyone has had experience with these before they went for resurfacing? I am a prime candidate for bilateral resurfacing, but have problems finding a physician covered by my insurance who has performed enough of these for me to be confident. Any comments re: hyaline injections would be helpful.

Best,

Buddy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: hyaline injections in hips
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:38:10 PM »
Hi Buddy

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I have not personally heard of Hyaline injections.  I did have a steroid hip injection which was done in an operating room under an x-ray to make sure the needle was properly placed into the hip capsule.  It help for a few months, but in the end I had bad OA and needed a hip resurfacing.

I am not sure what Hyaline is. Is it a steriod?

The bad part about sterioid is that they eventually break down the cartilage that's left in the joint or injure what's left of the joint. Most hip resurfacing doctors are not inclined to give streroid shots and even don't want you taking a lot of NSAIDS since they too break down the joint.

I am sorry I can't give you more information. If you are a candiate for bilateral resurfacing, perhaps you need to contact some other physicans.  This is my list of physicians that are pretty experienced http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php and here are their stats  http://www.surfacehippy.info/doctorstatistics.php

I would try to find a really experienced doctor to do your bilat hip resurfacing.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hippy_bob

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:48:27 PM »
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has tried, or heard of, Hyaline injections into their hip joints? I've heard about a doctor VJ Vad who performs these in New York, at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I'm curious to know if anyone has had experience with these before they went for resurfacing? I am a prime candidate for bilateral resurfacing, but have problems finding a physician covered by my insurance who has performed enough of these for me to be confident. Any comments re: hyaline injections would be helpful.

Best,

Buddy

Buddy,

I was getting injections of SynVisc (hyaline - "Hylan G-F 20 is similar to synovial fluid, a substance that occurs naturally in the joints. Synovial fluid acts as a lubricant and shock absorber. Hylan G-F 20 is injected into the knee joints for the treatment of pain in individuals with osteoarthritis. Hylan G-F 20 may also be used for purposes other than those listed here") in my right arthritic hip for about 4 or 5 years - every four to six months. My insurance company approved it, because they saw it as an inexpensive alternative to hip replacement. Unfortunately, the doctor that was doing the injections moved away and I could not find another doctor that would agree to continue the injections. The injections helped quite a bit to relieve the pain, but depending on my activity level, would sometimes only last 3 months or so. The doctor sometimes would mix cortisone with the SynVisc and would put me on a flouroscope (sp?) so that he could get the injection directly into the hip joint.

I just had hip resurfacing (Birmingham) on August 30th, but the injections helped delay the inevitable.

Hope that helps.

Bob

nicole

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »
Hi Buddy,
I tried a hyaline injection and it did not work for me.  I then started having cortisone injections and they worked for about 3 months each.  After 4 cortisone injections my doctor said that I should not have any more.  I then got a hip resurfacing surgery and am very happy and pain free so far!
Nicole

coskater

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:13:39 PM »
Hello,
I had an injection series called supartz which is used for knees injected into my hip socket.  As I understood the shot was artificial synovial fluid to help keep the joint lubricated. I got 5 of these shots and they didn't work for me, what did work was a gel platelet shot, they take several ounces of blood sort it so they pull out the rich blood cells and then add several other items and shot it back into an affected area.  For me that was my hip flexor because I was using my hip flexor and glutes as I would have used the ligimentum teres that stabilized my hip in the socket.  Needless to say my hip flexor was a giant steel cable that would flare and swell badly any time I did my favorite sport.  This shot did help.  I went to Dr. Karlie at the Steadman Hawkins clinic and that shot gave me several months of relief.

Leslie
R BHR
10/2/07 Treacy

HelenJames

• My personal [url=http://www.myspace.com]My Space[/url] homepage , personal [url=http://www.essaysexperts.com]essays[/url]
reply this topic
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:43:54 PM »
Something alike was discussed on the Yahoo! Answers last week, i can share a link if you want some
I'm on Twitter and my essay

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat