+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Watched a YouTube video and can't shake the image!  (Read 2664 times)

San Francisco Hippy

Watched a YouTube video and can't shake the image!
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:38:30 AM »
Today I chose to look at a YouTube video of someone 2wks. post op dancing up a storm...  Why oh why did I do this!??  It's now all I can think of/visualize as I clumsily try walking without my walker (just to give it a shot or just to shower!)  I know my recovery is my mine and individual but I feel like a failure because at day eight I can't quite foresee myself dancing in another 6 days...  I don't even know if I'll be off the walker by then and feeling steady?  I'm doing my isometrics all day and night, walking about 1/2 mile, doing the recumbent bike for 10mins. resting with my leg elevated but dancing I'm nowhere near that?  I just need some positive feedback about where I'm at please...  Casey RHR Conserve+, Amstutz 11/20/08
I might not be much but I'm all I ever think about...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Watched a YouTube video and can't shake the image!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:26:20 AM »
Casey

Don't let someone elses recovery make you upset.  It is nice to see the quick ones, I know, because I had one.  I have also seen some very, very slow difficult recoveries.  We all have different bodies.  Dr. De Smet even told me that sometimes he will do a person's one hip and it goes great. Then at a later date he does the other and it is very slow and difficult.

There is no way to predict how your body will heal.  The only sure thing is :  we all eventually end up pain free and back to a pretty normal life.  Most of us get back to a perfect life while a few don't make it all the way.

Just be patient and keep the faith. It is your body and your recovery.  No matter what you think - the brain can't control your healing.  That is controled by your own body.

So someone can dance - you will dance again to - but on your own time table. 

Pay attention to your own recovery and body.  Forget about everyone else.  That is one of the reasons  I am not as quick to post all the fantastic athlete's stories.  It really makes some people depressed and upset. 

You will recover.  You had a great surgeon.  Give yourself time and don't let anyone else make you upset.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »
Casey,

From what I read of your recovery you are doing fine.  Dancing, skiing running marathons and climbing mountains 2-6 weeks post-op are rare recoveries and are also ill advised.  Most of us were not off of crutches 2 weeks let alone 3 weeks.   

Keep up your excercises, ice when you need to and if you need pain meds take them.   By all means don't compare yourself to others who had some kind of miracle recovery. 

Chuck

Today I chose to look at a YouTube video of someone 2wks. post op dancing up a storm...  Why oh why did I do this!??  It's now all I can think of/visualize as I clumsily try walking without my walker (just to give it a shot or just to shower!)  I know my recovery is my mine and individual but I feel like a failure because at day eight I can't quite foresee myself dancing in another 6 days...  I don't even know if I'll be off the walker by then and feeling steady?  I'm doing my isometrics all day and night, walking about 1/2 mile, doing the recumbent bike for 10mins. resting with my leg elevated but dancing I'm nowhere near that?  I just need some positive feedback about where I'm at please...  Casey RHR Conserve+, Amstutz 11/20/08
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
Hi Casey

I've kept very detailed diaries of all my physical activities since my 2nd BHR in March this year.  (Its part of being an athletics coach - I like to keep records of what the athletes I coach do).

I can give you the following stats:

At 2 weeks I hadn't walked half a mile in one go (690 metres max)
At 4 weeks I was still using one stick
It was day 52 (7.5 weeks) before I went on a static bike for 10 mins.

My thought was/is that I want my two BHRs to last and didn't want to rush things.  Having said that, since then I've done 20 miles on a static bike in under 40 mins, got back into concept two rowing, walked brisk, hilly 6 milers and recently started joggng up to 2.5 miles.

Recovery is an individual thing.   Good luck with yours.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

wayne-0

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
Casey,
My bi-lat surgery was 23 days ago and while I'm basically pain free and walking 1/2 mile with a cane(3/4 of the walk is without using the cane) I can tell you I have some other issues.My issues are that my aductors and flexors were(are) so tight before and after surgery that it is diffucult for me to go up a six inch step.I'm doing stretches to loosen them up but I feel that this issue is gonna take a few months to resolve.Because I waited so long to have my surgery and because of the way I had to walk prior to surgery I was not using these muscels and now it is all about teaching these muscels they have to work again.Remember we all have our individual kinks to work out so take your time and stay strong.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:41:07 AM »
I will be 10 weeks out tomorrow and just started walking without a cane a few days ago and still use it about 1/2 the time I'm on my feet. I feel WAY behind where most people in here seem to be, I can cruise with no crutch for awhile but then have pain so I try to either stop walking or use the cane/pain pills if I have to be up and around.

Don't let the super hero stories bum you out !!   :D :D

You'll get there, no matter how you slice it you have months of healing in front of you. Move at your own pace, listen to your body and try not think you should be here or there because of so and so on the internet. Trust me it will just drive you nuts, I did it for over 2 months....   
9 days ago your leg was pretty much disconnected and you were getting metal pieces pounded into your bones with a hammer (Watch a hip resurfacing on you tube, theres a few to choose from).  Relax, take your time and let your body heal at it's own pace.  Just my $.02,
Good Luck !!   

John C

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:58:03 AM »
I agree with Bill. I spent much of my first six weeks freaked out because I was still having pain and needed the crutches. I thought that something must be wrong if I was not setting some kind of healing record.  ::) I finally got over my competitive neuroses, and just accepted the healing process. I am now doing long-steep daily hikes in the mountains, and feeling pretty good about the whole thing. Don't worry about others, just stay in touch with your own process. This resurfacing process is full of great life lessons 8), which of course means that it does not always go easy or the way we think it should. ;)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Grimbo

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:55:23 AM »
I fell for that video too... Now, I really can't believe it!

I'm only 5 days post-op but that kind of movement looks months away, never mind weeks or even days!

fenceman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
Hi Casey,

Please don't rush it.  My Dr. told me to take it easy and heal at your own pace.  I was on crutches for 6 weeks and a cane for 2 more.  I am not to run or jump for a year and I am only 44. People dancing or skiing or running at 2 weeks could be putting their new hip at risk.

I felt pretty down the first 2 weeks post op.  I think it was a combination of not sleeping very well and the pain medication.  I also thought I would be doing better than I was.  I kept wondering why I did this to myself.  But now I am 16 weeks out and feeling great.  I have no pain and just a little limp that I think is habit.

Hang in there.  It will get nothing but better from here.
The other Bill.

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat