+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: exercise pre-surgery  (Read 1428 times)

rossplanner

exercise pre-surgery
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
I'm looking for advice about exercise routines prior to surgery. I'm 51 and have advanced arthritis in my right hip. I'm scheduled for resurfacing in March 2009. I'd like to be in good shape prior to surgery but exercise, walking, and even some stretching currently results in moderate pain in my hip. I can take an anti-inflammatory drug (Lodine) which reduces or eliminates the pain but I wonder if I am simply making the problem worse. Thanks for any advice.

Rossplanner

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
Re: exercise pre-surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:01:52 AM »
Swimming is really good, I was before my surgery.  I also kept up the things I loved to do for I knew I wasn't going to be doing some things for a few months after the surgery, and I love doing my things.  Yoga stretches are good things too, I have no disclipline when it comes to stretching for its was never an easy thing for me, but I tried to twist and turn, pose and  what evers  and thought loose thoughts, but my stretching was kindegarden compared to those who stretched all their lives.

I was taking tumeric for my anti-inflammatory herb and it is also good for pre and post operations.  Also did the advil and tylenol or asprine for my pain relief before surgery along with once in awhile a pain pill for the rough days before surgery.  I found that after surgery, I was able to do the same treatment for my pain, meaning that I was on the pain pill barely for 2 days, and the advil for 2 days after that, then only 2 times did I need a pain pill and that was when I was not moving around and found out that circulation helps keep the pain level down for me.

I am at 4 weeks tomorrow, and I am loving the fact that I am getting stronger every day.  Today after my at home PT I went to the beach and walked the sand and walked in the water for about a half an hour, trying to get a longer stride.(it all about your range of motion and strength after the surgery, but I am not a PT or doctor).  I then swam around for the next half hour, and gave my hips some range of motion tests along with some stamina tests, felt really good and I know I will be swimming more often now for the great feeling I had when I got home.

You will be happy that you did your surgery, do your homework by reading up on it through this site, I didn't find it till after my surgery, it will be a great way to find out what is going on for you and some tips of what to do before the surgery and after.

Good Luck,
Eric

siamac

Re: exercise pre-surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:08:49 PM »
Simple situps are good since they strengthen your stomach muscles, which is useful for lifting your legs in and out of bed after surgery! After the surgery they will give you lots of good excercises and you will gain strength in the legs fairly quickly.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear