+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which muscles stop working right after resurfacing?  (Read 2628 times)

Bionic

Which muscles stop working right after resurfacing?
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:16:02 AM »
In preparing for my upcoming resurfacing operation, I am trying to imagine which kinds of movements I will be able to do and which kinds I won't.  Any input from you would be appreciated!

I'm not talking about restrictions, like the 90-degree rule or not crossing my legs.  These are a matter of discipline. 

What I'm interested in is what I won't be able to do because of trauma to my joint and muscles.  I am expecting that my surgeon will use a posterior approach.

For example, will I be able to lift my leg?  My recliner (recommended equipment, I hear) has an ottoman instead of a swing-up foot rest.  Will I have a problem getting my operated leg onto the ottoman?

Will I have a problem using my gluts to push forward when walking, so that I'll end up shuffling or pivoting?  Will I be able to push backwards, using the muscles in the front of my thigh?  What ordinary activites become difficult or impossible?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Which muscles stop working right after resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »
Hi

Most people have no problem walking after surgery with the aid of a crutch/es or walker.  I coud even limp without a crutch.  I could also hang onto the kitchen cabinets to get around the kitchen.

I was sight seeing in Ghent Belgium at 5 days post op.  You are not an invalid.

It is difficult to raise your leg stright up when laying on a bed.  I was able to lift my leg, unassisted from the floor to the bed a few days after surgery.  The PT was surprised. Most people can't do that.  I could not raise it hardly one inch up from the bed when I was laying down.

Abduction out to the side is almost impossible in the begining.  That is what took me the longest to gain back as with most people.

I was able to do steps normally one foot at a time after a week or so. 

You are not disabled - just pretty much slowed down.

You can always assist your operated leg by putting your other leg under it and lifting - or by grabbing it and lifting it with your hand or a belt or something around it.  Also you can just put the crutch under it to give it an assisted lift.

Be creative!!!

You will be fine.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JeanM

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
I think you'll find that you have much more mobility than you are expecting.  It's funny.  There are some people who I think should lower their expectations.  But, I think you probably need to raise your expectations.  It doesn't take long to get mobile pretty quickly after the operation.  Each day, you'll find yourself able to do something you couldn't do the day before.  Day to day improvement is significant and week-to-week improvement is pretty dramatic.  At least that's how it was for me.  Also, as Pat points out, it's amazing how creative you can be when you need to get something done.  Remember, necessity is the mother of invention.  I found the tools in my hip kit to be very helpful during the first few week.  It's also helpful to have good upper body strength as it's helpful in moving yourself around when in bed and good 'other leg' strength as that's helpful when going from sitting to standing, etc..

Good Luck!
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »
Everything will seem a little weak at first, but the strength comes back pretty quickly. The hardest for me - it was even alarming at first - was the near lack of ANY strength when raising my knee in the standing position, or raising my leg while laying on my back. Eventually that came back too, it was just a slow process.
I went for my first run this weekend. The hip felt perfect. Strength and wind weren't so hot. ;)
- Tom
RBHR 7/1/08

JohnS

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
I'm in the same catagory as TomBuell.  Couldn't lift the leg of the operated side, very painful to even try.  Now that I'm 2 weeks, I was am able to lift the leg somewhat in a prone position.  Sitting I cannot yet lift my knee, but hope that will come with time.  I can feel imporvements on a daily basis as I do my PT.
Note that this only affects my ability to drive and otherwise I have been able to navigate all over the house since my release from the hospital (50 hrs post-op).
My $0.02.
JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
Aloha everyone,

I was not able to do leg lifts while on my back, very frustrating.  Yesterday at my PT I mentioned how that is bumming me out.  I am at 4 weeks and one day post op.  My PT had me do some warm up excersizes, then we hit the table, she spotted my first lift and gave me encouragement.  Again spotting my second and she said that was all me.  She backed off a few feet and by myself I had the next one!  I finished my set of 10 and she said well done.  Just now finishing my pt for the day, I did 2 sets of 10, it got easier, but still its work.  I am also finding that when on my side, I have more strength when I lift my leg, I can do that on with a straight leg.  Every day something incredible happens even though to most is just a minor, to me is a major.  I am almost walking without a limp with no assistance,(I use a cane for long walks, the malls and stores more so that others will not bump into me, and after PT and hard workouts) I am told that when my muscles strengthen I will be limp free.  I also feel that if you hit the excersize right at the right time for you, it will be there.

Eric
RBHR 11/3/08
I even mowed a half acre of grass that was starting to get some height Monday!

n9gun

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
I'm about three weeks post op with resurfacing to the left hip.  I can now do most leg lifts but nit very well.  Muscle pains in the lower thigh and buttock.  Almost like those muscles got wiped out and starting over.  I can move around the house very well on cructhes.  Everyday is an improvement - some better than others.

Aiming to be back on the ice coaching hockey in the spring.

Thanks,
Tom

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
Hi Tom

Welcome to Hip Talk and congratulations on the new hip.

You are right to be patient and let your body heal.  The muscles will come back - quicker for some people than others.  No way to predict how quickly your recovery will be.

You are right though - you will be back on the ice by spring.  Just let your body rule right now and heal at it's own rate.

We all end up in the same place eventually - healed, pain free and active!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dvander

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »
I agree with most that you will be able to do more than you expect.  The leg up onto a couch or ottoman was nearly two weeks for me.  I moved to a cane within 10 days but did not have the strength to lift the leg up.  Funny how I tried to will the leg to move side to side, but could not for the first week or so.  My loving wife moved it back and forth for me until I could get it moving.  The rest of the exercises I was given were done from the beginning with great difficulty and then ease.

At three weeks and three days, things have brightened greatly.  At three weeks, I was very discouraged because I developed severe tendonitis in the right leg at 16 days post-op that bound the ankle, outside of operated leg and knee.  It is better now.

Back to the office at 13 days post-op with multiple naps on my trusty couch.  Now I only need 30 minutes in the middle of the day to rest.  Still uncomfortable sitting long periods - so get on the couch and get the leg up for awhile.

There are so many immediate benefits to resurfacing.  For me, all the knots up and down the right side of my back and in the neck area from which I could never get relief are GONE!  My hamstring that was so tight I thought it would one day snap is relaxed.  The upset stomach for the previous few months is gone.  I am so glad I chose to join this elite group.  Hope your recovery is quick.  Expect the first few weeks to be somewhat like concentration camp with torture, but there is always light at the end of the imprisonment.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat