+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it insane to have resurfacing in January?  (Read 3448 times)

Bionic

Is it insane to have resurfacing in January?
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
I live in New England, where we have snow and ice during the winter.  I've provisionally scheduled a resurfacing operation in January, but I'm starting to have some second thoughts on account of the weather.

I'm not especially clumbsy, but with only one leg working right, I'm afraid I'll slip and fall on the ice.
I'm supposed to walk as part of my rehab.  Won't that be a problem in the winter?

There's also the matter of boots and whatnot.

I'm thinking of rescheduling for the spring.  Does this make sense to you?

obxpelican

Re: Is it insane to have resurfacing in January?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
Winter is not a bad time except for what you mentioned about falling on the ice.... although if I had to do it over I might have considered Jan or Feb as I lost a lot of good weather in August, Sept and October.  Had I done a Winter operation I would have been good to go for the Summer.

One suggestion.... do you have a mall nearby? Malls are great places to walk/rehab.  Our local mall opens up an hour before most of the stores and a lot of people enjoy walking it.

Think of it this way, by Spring you'll be good to go, if you wait till Spring you've effectively killed early Summer. 

Just my .02, .04 with inflation.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
Hi Bionic

Hey - get it over with so you can have a great summer next year.

If you want to walk - don't you have a Wal Mart, K Mart, Lowes or large grocery store near you?  Lowes is a great place to walk inside.  Any inside mall or large store will do.  Also they normally keep the parking lots free of snow and ice.  Get a disabled permit from your doctor so you can park close to the entrance.

Don't give up your surgery.  Get it over with so you will be ready for action this summer. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bionic

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Did either of you have the pleasure of falling after the surgery?  I suppose I can wear padding :).  I do like the idea of getting handicapped tag.  That could save me a lot of hazard slogging through icy parking lots.

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:13:22 PM »
I think you are figuring you will be on just your crutches, many times doctors have their patients on full weight bearing so you actually have 4 balance points (two feet and two crutches).

I have very rocky and slippery area where we walk down to the backyard off of our side porch and I never had a problem with the extra balance points.

Also, keep in mind (at least in PA) you won't have snow and ice all the time.

I would get it done with for sure.... and NO, do not think of falling either.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:01:44 AM »
A couple of suggestions from those that have rehabbed in the past in snow country. They make fold-up metal cleats that can attach to the bottom of crutches or canes. A great invention, even when you are not rehabbing, is a sort of tire chain that loops onto the bottom of any shoes. Great traction in snow or ice, and I often use them for winter walks.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Bionic

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
I appreciate the replies, but I observe that all those who have replied so far have had their resurfacings done during warm weather months (assuming you live in the Northern Hemisphere ;) ).

Any wintertime resurfacers want to speak up?

bothdone

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »
I had my left done in June 2004 - during a very hot period.  It was very uncomfortable laying on my back in the heat.... but it was pleasant getting outside and shuffling/wandering about.

I had my right done in March this year.  Much more comfortable lying on a bed.   Plenty of hours of daylight, gradually increasing as I got fitter.

My advice would be to avoid October to February, with March-May being the better options.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

stevel

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:24:58 AM »
I had my LBHR on 9/29/08 and I live in Douglas, Alaska.  We had an early dump of snow at the end of October and I shoveled my sidewalk and driveway.  I wore ice creepers.  Since then, the snow has melted and I've been able to walk outdoors for several miles daily.  At nine weeks post-op, I'm more confident about not falling.  If it snows again, I'll wear ice creepers and use trekking poles during my walks.  It is not a bad idea to delay your surgery until Spring unless you have somebody to assist you with snow removal and transportation.  Or do you have a winter home in the sunbelt to recover?
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Bionic

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »
No winter home, SteveL.  I can get help with the shoveling, but I'll be on my own for handling transportation (for myself and my kids) after the second or third week post-op.

annie

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 03:48:05 AM »
Hi,

I live in sunny Scotland :-)

I had my BHR done on 22/10/08 and was out shuffling the snow from the back yard at 4.5 weeks albeit rather slowly and carefully.

If you get fixed during the winter as Pat says at least you should be ready to enjoy the spring and summer more.

The only thing I have found is that I don't get out to walk on some days due to the ice as too dangerous.  Did more jobs round the house which involved walking and going up and down stairs which is also good exercise.

Hope this helps with re your decisiion making.

Annie the frozen Scottie

JohnS

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »
Bionic,
I live in Minnisota and had my RBHR done 11/19/08 for the primary reason of using the winter months for healing and recovery.  I am most active spring, summer and fall.   As JohnC posted, you can get "tire chains" for your cane and boots.
I plan to start serious walking at local mega-stores and/or local malls.  I have a hanicap sticker so I can park close.  I suspect that typically my wife will come with me and she can drop me off at the entrance to minimize any slipping risk depending on the conditions.
I'm just starting week 2 post-op so I gotta do more walking than my 0.01 mile trek around the living room - dinning room - kitchen.  I get dizzy if I go more than .1 mile  ;)
Good luck with what ever decision you make.
JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

Bionic

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
Well, I've decided to postpone my surgery with Dr. Gross.  The new date is March 11.

My family finally got through to me.  Here is my list of reasons:

• My mother won't have to worry that I'll fall on the ice and split open all of Dr. Gross's good work (and I won't, either).
  • My mother, who doesn't like driving in snow and ice, will feel more comfortable being with me and helping me with the kids and whatnot after surgery, after the snow melts.
  • My elderly father will be able to stay with my sister in March instead of here with me, which may be too much for Mom to handle (Sis is busy in January).
  • My wife may not be so stressed at work, so she may be able to come to SC with me for the surgery.
  • I won't have to pay somebody else to shovel my driveway.  I can still do it myself--with enough ibuprofen.
  • I won't have to pay somebody 2 or 3 thousand dollars to build a shed for me, so I can make room in my garage to fit my car, which needs to be in my garage so I won't slip on the ice that invariably builds up on my driveway.

I would like nothing more than to get this over with and be on the road to recovery, but I think these are good reasons to wait.  Also, my plan is to go with Dr. Gross's uncemented new femoral implant, so it really wouldn't hurt to see some slightly longer term follow up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:46:12 PM by Bionic »

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
Those are very valid reasons and well thought out.  By warm weather you'll be doing well.  At 3 months I started feeling pretty dang good, 3 months will take you to June.

Take care with that yucky white stuff.

Good luck with Dr. G and the uncemented, I'll let you know if any parts start falling out so as to warn you in the mean time ;-)

Keep in touch on this board.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.

If I see you on the highway I won't follow too close ;) .

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 08:17:04 PM »
Hi

We all have to do what we feel is right in our hearts and minds.  No one can make a decision for you.

Obviously you feel much better about waiting a few months, so you will do better.  Sometimes what we fear can become reality and maybe in your case being so worried about falling could have become a reality.  So waiting a little exra time won't hurt anything.

You will still be well into your recovery by summer.

Stay in touch with us.  Good Luck and enjoy the white stuff!!!!!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat