+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calcification of scar tissue  (Read 4588 times)

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Calcification of scar tissue
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
Hi All - I just had my 4-month checkup and the doctor said the joint looked great. It certainly feels great.
However, in the xrays he noticed calcification (formation of bone matter) in some of the scar tissue. I can't tell yet whether it restricts range of motion, and it doesn't hurt. He said it could have been prevented with more blood thinners. I have been pretty active since the surgery, but he did say that more movement might have reduced it.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Thanks, Tom

counsel934

Re: Calcification of scar tissue
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:17:51 AM »
tom
i had bhr 0n 12/3/08, in upstate new york, at 6 weeks i was doing great. eventually i was able to walk 2.5 miles and excercise
about three weeks ago i felt like i over did it, i took it easy however still felt pain and burning at the site
i went to pt and they did stretching heat and ice, i also did massages
a couple of days ago i saw my doctor again and he did an x ray which showed calcium build up, he gave me a prescription for indocin and told me to stretch, he said its not the norm but sees it time from time

do you have any advice

stevel

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »
I've read about heterotopic ossification, where bone deposits occur around the device after surgery.  This is usually prevented by radiation treatment right after surgery or by prescribing indocin for 3 weeks post-op.  I did not get indocin, so they must have zapped me with x-ray treatment, before I was discharged from surgery.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »
It's not really causing a problem, although I do notice it. Feels a little tight in the joint - but not painful - when I fully compress. I know this because I have started rowing again! I wish it wasn't there and my doc said he will use the radiation when I have my other hip done, which will probably be in another year or so.
Good luck - Tom

MarilynRS

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
Is there any more info on this topic?  This is the first I have heard of it, and certainly the first I have heard of radiation treatment as part of the conclusion of surgery.  Wow!  And the drug you mention, that is to prevent calcium build-up?  How does that work, and what does it do to the rest of one's body or to other bones? 

Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz