+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Osteotomy  (Read 1369 times)

Tekka

Osteotomy
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »
Hi all, i'm new to the site and what a relief to find you. It is so helpful reading all the topics and it is bringing focus with the decision ahead.

I'm a 42year MMA and training and teaching is a huge part of my life, i broke my left femur when i was nineteen, it was pinned through the femur and the pin was removed a year later...i suppose life has never been the same since but i was just happy to have survived the accident and get on with life. I have always associated discomfort with training and thought that was the things would be and i was ok with that, until recently when putting my shoes on became a painfull event. To cut a long story short i was advised i should look a getting a BHR " what the heck is a Birmingham Hip...i live in Birmingham" ..well google did the rest and i arranged a consultation with a Surgeon and i was amazed, shocked, worried at what was proposed.

My femur had set turned out to the left after my break 23 years earlier, and the surgeon said he would need to perform a Osteotomy to have any chance of performing a BHR.

I would appreciate any comments or information of the statistics of this operation and it's success rate, the more i read on this topic the more i worry.

Taking advice i have arranged a consultation with Derek Mcminn of December the 19th for a second opinion.

Many thanks in advance
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:13:40 PM »
Hi Tekka

Welcome to Hip Talk. 

You are very lucky to have an appointment with Mr. McMinn.  He will be able to tell you much more than we can about what would need to be done before you have a BHR - Brimingham Hip Resurfacing.

None of us are medically trained.  I have done my website for 3 years and have learned a lot - but trust me, only a doctor can really give you an opinion on such a complicated case.

We are here to give you support or answer questions about hip resurfacing when we can.  This is a great group and we are happy you found your way here.

I hope you will share what you find out from Mr. McMinn with us so we can learn too.

Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Bionic

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »
You can't go wrong with Derek McMinn.

I just hope you don't feel as if you have rush into anything.  Pain when tying your shoe is a problem but is not necessarily debilitating.  Hip surgery is a major deal.  

Resurfacing is a great operation.  But it is major surgery, and I wouldn't touch it unless I really needed it to maintain a normal lifestyle.

As for using an osteotomy as a precursor to resurfacing, I think it's a sensible idea based on the problem you described, but it's two surgeries instead of one.  More importantly, it's two recuperations.  Maybe it's possible to skip the osteotomy and go straight to the resurfacing.  McMinn will know.

Another possibility is that an osteotomy is all you will need.  Your surgeon may be able to rotate your femoral neck to both straighten it and bring some unworn cartilage into joint to relieve any arthritis symptoms.

Tekka

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:12:12 PM »
Hi Bionic....yes i need to be careful and not rush into a situation that i'm not ready for, it is difficult to bench mark pain but i can't get out from my chair and it is starting to effect my right leg with the weight being diverted.

Thanks for bringing balance to a difficult decision, i don't want any surgery but i do want to be able to run again"i can't lift my leg 10" off the ground...but also i do not have a really bad limp, but i also know i'm getting worse.

Also i relise Derek Mcminn is the guy to see and i will be open to ideas.

Many thanks

Terry

LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz