+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stairs Post-Op?  (Read 2022 times)

PGGUICE

Stairs Post-Op?
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »
I'm still working on my game plan, so here's a newbie question. How long did it take you before you were able to climb stairs on a regular basis? Or at least be able to climb them at least once a day.

I live in a second floor apartment so I need to use stairs regularly. My first plan was to move. However, to relieve some of the pressure on myself I could stay with my sister for a while (she offered), then drive home when I feel better. She has a full house so the sooner the better. lol. How about this? If not using the stairs regularly at least once every few days. If I had to I could just hold up in my apartment as long as possible. Groceries could be an issue thought.

I guess that's my next question. When were you able to drive? It would probably be at least ten hours from her house to mine. 

Looking at a doing both hips within a week of each other.

Thanks in advance.

Garth

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Stairs Post-Op?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »
Hi

I was taught to do steps the second day after my surgery. That is pretty common.  You should not have problems doing steps a few times a day.

You should go shopping and stock up before surgery.  Get frozen stuff that is easy to microwave.  You will not be an invalid - but able to get around your kitchen even if slowly.

Only your doctor can tell you when you can drive.  It also depends on whic hip you are having done.  I was able to drive as soon as I was home from Belgium at 12 days post op - but had my left hip done.

Again, only your doctor can tell you when he/she will let you drive. You can't base it on anyone else's experience.

You will have a long post op recovery doing them one week apart.  I think that is something you and your surgeon need to discuss.  Many people like to just do them together and get it over with.  It is an individual choice.

If you are going to be a bi-lat you might need a little extra help during the first few days.  Maybe a freind or neighbor could stop in or be available if you called them.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

annie

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »
Hi Garth,

I had a left BHR 22-10-08 and was able to manage the stairs albiet one foot at a time, no problems at all.

Not sure about getting both done within a week - you'll need to stock up on ice packs if you go that route.   I found it bad enough having one done and definately would not have been able to cope with having them both done.

I live in Scotland and we are not allowed to drive here for six weeks.  I tried after 5 but found it too uncomfortable and decided to wait, if I had persevered it would probably have been ok.  At six weeks it was no problem just a bit uncomfortable for the first journey then all ok.  10 hour drive would be a big ask for the first one I would have thought.

If you live alone, I would ask a friend or neighbour to pop past to help especially the first week.  Another good tip is to move items you would need to a reachable height, i.e. plates, pans etc.

If you want any more info pm me and I'll help if I can.

Annie the frozen Scottie

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
Hey Garth,
I had both done on nov 7th and I could go up stairs third week no problem as long as there is a railing to hold on to. As far as driving I felt comfortable enough to drive fourth week, however I have not drove yet because I really don't need to because I only drive to work and back and have not gone back to work yet because I work construction and I'm not ready for heavy manuel labor just yet. Good luck.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

PGGUICE

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
Hey Wayne,

I'm in construction too. How long do you plan on being out? I hope it won't be longer than three months. That's what I'm shooting for.

What did your doctor tell you about heavy lifting? Did he/she give you a time frame?

Garth

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
Hey Garth,
My doc is telling me when I feel up to it I can go back to work. The way I feel right now (33 days post op ) I could maybe go back at 2 months after surgery. Today I walked a mile no cane, rode the stationary bike 4 miles, all my exercises and stretches, and I even drove 16 miles no problem. I'm sure I could have driven a week and a half ago but I have no need to so I haven't. As far as the heavy lifting I'm gonna have to give my doc a call and ask him that question. Hope that helps.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

stevel

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:41:27 AM »
Hi Garth,

I drove at 11 days post-op.  My visiting physical therapist watched how I moved about the house, recommended outpatient physical therapy and encouraged me to drive.  She instructed me on how to enter my 4wd Ford 150 pick-up with auto transmission.  I had a LBHR.  Driving isn't advised if you are still taking pain medication as your reaction times are delayed.  I returned to work (desk job) at 5 weeks post-op.  I can only lift 20 lbs for three months, then 50 lbs for another three months, then over 50 pounds after six months.  I practiced on a a stairway of about 4 steps at the hospital on the third and fourth days post-op.  I have a similar flight of stairs at my house and was able to climb OK when I returned home at 1 week post-op.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:45:23 AM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

PrairieGirl

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:36:20 PM »
Hi, Garth,

Had a left side BHR on 11/26. The hospital P.T. staff had me doing stairs the day after surgery. Even though I threw up the first time they got me out of bed (nausea from the anesthesia), the stairs weren't a problem. I live in a 104 year-old 2-story house. Before the surgery I was terrified about how I would handle the stairs after surgery. Turned out to be no problem. It's day 15 for me and my new hip. I can go up and down the stairs normally and I keep walking off and leaving my cane!

Good luck,
PrairieGirl
PrairieGirl
Age 38
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
Garth,

Steps are no biggie. Part of your hospital therapy will be learning to do steps.  If you have railings it will be no problem, if you don't have railings I would suggest putting them in, they do help. 

When I got home I had no problem, we live in a two story house and the steps were easy, although we have railings.

You'll do fine, pay some young kid to do some hauling for ya.  The day I got home I cooked meals for the family as my wife can burn water.....I might have starved.

Chuck

I'm still working on my game plan, so here's a newbie question. How long did it take you before you were able to climb stairs on a regular basis? Or at least be able to climb them at least once a day.

I live in a second floor apartment so I need to use stairs regularly. My first plan was to move. However, to relieve some of the pressure on myself I could stay with my sister for a while (she offered), then drive home when I feel better. She has a full house so the sooner the better. lol. How about this? If not using the stairs regularly at least once every few days. If I had to I could just hold up in my apartment as long as possible. Groceries could be an issue thought.

I guess that's my next question. When were you able to drive? It would probably be at least ten hours from her house to mine. 

Looking at a doing both hips within a week of each other.

Thanks in advance.

Garth
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

PGGUICE

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:25:26 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.

Yeah, the stairs are almost like a flight and a quarter because the apartment has really high ceilings. I'm on the fence about moving. I just got back from the Ortho. with new x-rays. This was a follow-up after one month. It showed partial collapse. He didn't say "collapse" but the surface of my right hip has a dip. Which explained the increase in pain I've been having. Man, what is going to happen in another month?

This has lit a fire under me. I obviously don't have the time that I thought I was going to have.

As far as, the stairs go. I can hold up for a couple of weeks in my apartment. If that is what it takes. I do like the idea of thinking about the stairs as physical therapy though.

Wish me luck.

Garth

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat