+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sue and Hemi Resurfacing  (Read 1268 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Sue and Hemi Resurfacing
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
Sue

I am in no way telling you that you or your surgeon made a bad decision to give you a hemi-resurfacing.  You  and your surgeon each made a decision at the time that seemed to be the correct choice for your situation.

I apologize if I have hurt your feelings. I definitely was not trying to do that.

I am not medically trained and certainly can't give medical advice.  I was not trying to give you advice.  The best suggestions I could give would be to get additional input from some of the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons if you are having problems.  Only trained hip resurfacing surgeons can give you medical advice.

My problem is that with the long discussion about hemi -resurfacing, I am afraid we could be giving new members information that may not be in their best interest.  Again, that is up to them and their doctors as to what surgery they choose.

Hemi Resurfacing is not a very sucessful surgery or it would have continued to be done over and over.  You don't see Dr. De Smet, Gross, McMinn, Mont, Treacy, Bose, Su, Schmalzried, etc etc doing any large number of hemi-resurfacings currently.  There is a reason for that.  They normally choose full hip resurfacings.  If they have done a few hemis in recent times, there must have been a very good reason for it.  My understanding is - full hip resurfacing is the way to go and that is what my website is dedicated to. I have spent 3 years explaining the advantages of full hip resurfacing to thousands of people.  That is my personal belief and I would always want a full hip resurfacing and not consider a hemi-resurfacing. 

If I were such a believer in hemi-resurfacing, I would have a website about it.  I don't and most of the experineced hip resurfacing surgeons talk little about it.  Again, there is a reason for that - they normally prefer to do a full hip resurfacing.

So I apologize if I have hurt your feelings in any way. That was never my intention.  My purpose is to give you support, no matter what decision you or your doctor made.  You asked my opinion and I suggested to talk with more experineced surgeons. 

I don't want new people joining the group to get side tracked about hemi-resurfacings. Most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons suggest full hip resurfacings.  I doubt that choice will change much in the future according to all I know and have learned.

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery and hope you will soon be pain free and back to an active life.  That is the purpose of any surgery whether it be a hip resurfacing or a THR.  A painfree active lifestyle.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

skysue34

Re: Sue and Hemi Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »
  Hi Pat,

My pc has been down all day and I just got a chance to read your post.  First off, you have not hurt my feelings in anyway what so ever.  I think that this website is great and I do appreciate all of your knowledge on the full resurfacing.   After learning that I did not get the full resurfacing, I too was wondering why the Dr., (as long as he was in there) why he didn't do the full.  Like you said he must have had a reason.  I will put my trust in him and continue with my PT and hope for the best.  If not, I will certainly research the next step more carefully and with the knowledge that I have learned form your website, I will be more prepared to ask the right questions.

You are so sweet to worry that you might have hurt my feelings, and I do want to assure you again, that you did not.  I am just so glad that you are here for everyone.  ;D   

Thank you again, and I look forward to talking with you again.

Sue

obxpelican

Re: Sue and Hemi Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:42 PM »
Sue,

Glad to hear that you're not upset and were not upset about the discussion of your hemi-resurfacing.

I am sure you're going to work this out.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM