+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I'm now a bilateral Hippy w/ Dr. Pritchett  (Read 1632 times)

Barbara

I'm now a bilateral Hippy w/ Dr. Pritchett
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »
I was discharged today after having my left hip resurfaced on Mon (right was done 8 weeks before).
So far recovery is going well. I think my therapy over the past 2 months has really strengthened my leg muscles because they feel really strong and its actually easier to move around. I can get my leg on and off the bed/footstool etc independently. I couldn't do that the first time.

Surprisingly I had more pain, joint, muscular and incisional, this time and Dr Pritchett told me the left hip joint was actually in worse condition. We did the Right first because I've been having pain in it for 7 years as compared to 1 1/2 years in my Left and always thought of it as the worst although they looked similar on MRI/X-ray. It must have deteriorated much faster when it started causing me problems than the other side did. My biggest problem since my right hip surgery 8 weeks ago was with the left side. It was very painful doing PT etc, which I had expected. My biggest problem now is anemia which is being treated, otherwise everything has gone smoothly.

I'm planning on being off work for the next 6-8 weeks to make sure I'm fully recovered and am not planning on rushing things. I feel much more prepared this time for what's to come in the next couple of weeks, setbacks and all!
I feel very positive and am looking forward to healing and getting on with the rest of my life. There's no stopping me now!!! I'll be flying down those slopes a year from now.

I can thoroughly recommend the surgery and Dr Pritchett, Seattle and of course the new Swedish medical center, Orthopedic Institute.

I want to thank everyone on this site. It has helped me greatly both pre and post op over the past few months. It has been very helpful and informative. It's great to know that if I have any odd symptoms,sensations etc I can come on and find out what it could be.

I hope everyone else is doing well with their recovery.

Barbara
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:38:16 PM by Pat Walter »
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

wayne-0

Re: I'm now a bilateral Hippy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »
I'm gad everything went well for you and hope recovery continues in that same path. Oh the ski seasons in the future look so bright.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I'm now a bilateral Hippy
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:10:59 AM »
Hi Barbara

Congratulations on the second hip. 

Dr. De Smet told me that he has often had patients have a very easy recovery for the first hip surgery, then the second was very difficult.  He does not know the reason nor do the patients.

I guess we can only accept the reality of each situation and know that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.  You will recover in time.

Be patient and stay in touch.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz