+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Loss of apetite and other symptoms?  (Read 1437 times)

Barbara

Loss of apetite and other symptoms?
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »
I had surgery on Mon and was discharged yesterday. My appetite wasn't great in hospital but is now zero. Same thing happened to me last time. I am also exhausted but can only sleep for bouts of 1 1/2 hrs at a time. I get burning hot flashes and have been nauseated off and on. I was diagnosed with anemia which was treated with erythropoietin injection followed by 2 doses of IV iron before being switched to oral iron which I am taking twice a day. The last time my anemia was not treated and I blamed it a lot for the way I was feeling.
I also get jerking movements when I start to fall asleep which keep me awake. Also not as bad as the last time. My Dr said lots of patients complain of similar symptoms and they are not sure of the cause. I learned from last time to have a supply of ensure in the house, thank goodness. I have to keep reminding myself that I'll feel better in a few days. My temp and blood pressure are perfect during these "episodes" Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Loss of apetite and other symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
Hi Barbara

I just wanted to say Hi and "hang in there"   You know from past experience that it will get better.

I lost about 5 pounds after my surgery.  I think we all go thru an adjustment period after our major surgeries.  Some people suffer much more than others.  The surgery and anasthesia all cause problems.  Our bodies have been invaded and they are not happy.

I just wanted to "keep the faith"  - you will recover.  Stay in touch and we will all give you some moral support.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Hey Barbara,

Hang in there. My appetite was non existent post surgery. The pin meds were partly to blame.
But even after I was weaned off of all meds my appetite didn't return until I started healing and became more active. I lost a total of 14 lbs.

Just give yourself time to rest and heal. EPO is good stuff. While I never experienced the symptoms you describe, many others have had the jerking movements. Don't feel like the lone ranger, you will feel better soon.

take care,

spencer

skysue34

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Hi Barbara,

I had the same jerking movements for quite awhile after surgery.  It was bothersome because it was jerking the new hip and it would really hurt. Thank goodness that has finally stopped.  About your lack of sleep, I also was the same. The meds that I was on was hydrocodone 7.5/325.  for some reason that would just wake me up and I felt great, I just coud'nt sleep at all.(that was after my 1st surgery) After the 2nd surgery they gave me the hydocodone but It  was 7.5/500.  Don't know if that was the difference but I was able to sleep better.  However, a little over 6 wks post -op, I still have not slept through the night.(up at least 2 -3 times)  Now as far as the loss of appitite...never !!!!!  I wish I had (lol)

Hang in there and just try to relax, you will be back to work before you know it and wish that you had just enjoyed the time off.  Happy Holidays !!

Sue

KarenZ

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »
Hi Barbara,
I had my left hip done on Dec 3 and I experienced all of what you are describing, at different intensities and intervals - but all the same symptoms.  I didn't feel like eating much and knew I really needed to so that my strength would return; I had some low grade nausea, that believe it or not felt better if I would eat something; I had those weird jerks too - bizarre!; and just a few nights ago I had what must have been a night sweat.  I woke up drenched, I didn't feel hot or cold - but dripping wet.  I panicked and checked my temp immediately.  I was terrified I had an infection, but everything was/is just fine. 
I am pretty sure all of these symptoms result from the anesthesia and other drugs as well as (I like how Pat put it) our bodies have been invaded and are not happy.  I understand your distress.  I had read the information posted on this site prior to my surgery and knew that freaky things would happen, but when it was happening to me I was still alarmed.
Thankfully we have each other.  There were several folks helping settle me down in the last few days.
I would guess you already feeling better and will continue to do so.
Thanks for posting, makes me feel better knowing I am not alone!
Karen
Karen
R / Biomet UC / Dr Gross / 12-3-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz