+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Having Difficulty Relaxing  (Read 7587 times)

Mudpro

• My Work
Having Difficulty Relaxing
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
OK, I admit to having some A-personality traits and I haven't taken a vacation longer than 5 working days in my life.  So I guess it's not much of a surprise that I'm beginning to get a little anxious.  I'm at day 12 post surgery for a BHR and wondering when i can get out of the house (more than just a walkup the drive).

Anyone around two weeks post-op get out to a park or a movie or maybe even do a little Christmas shopping?  I feel like I'm ready, but of course don't want to undo all the good work that's been invested in me so far.

If it wasn't for the pain meds, a night out at an Irish pub with a Guiness and some good music sounds about right...  who wants to join me?  ;D
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

obxpelican

Re: Having Difficulty Relaxing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
Unless you are on major restrictions from your doctor why don't you go out somewhere?

By 7 days post-op I was going to my daughters tryouts for her fast pitch travel teams, since the tryouts were on softball fields I just used the opportunity to walk on the soft grass with my crutches.  Keep in mind I still need to sit on a pillow then and I was on 2 crutches.  I went out to dinner just after my 1 week anniversary too.

Just make sure to listen to your body and what your doctor tells you.   I always say don't lay around post-op, if you doctor allows you to be active go out and do some things.  JUST DON'T FALL!!!

Listen to your body.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:08:01 PM »
And think of the economy, hit the malls, its a great place to get some walking in, even with crutches, actually use the crutches as a flag to all  the shoppers and let them beware or you have to give them love taps with them.  I did alot of my walking in the mall at 2 weeks, or Costco shopping for food. (the cart makes a great walker and the samples are a nice treat).

Merry Christmas and happy healing,
Eric

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »
Hi Bill

I hope you have gotten out of the house and don't have cabin fever any more.

I was sight seeing at 5 days post op when I had my hip resurfaced in Belgium in 2006.  There is no reason you have to stay home unless your doctor has told you not to get around.  I was walking about 1 mile a days by 12 days post op with one crutch.  A lot depends on what your doctor allows.

Most patients are encouraged to walk a lot post op. Be sure to ask your doctor if you can start walking and getting around more.

I hope you are walking and starting to enjoy the new hip.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM