+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The best things....  (Read 1329 times)

bothdone

The best things....
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
I've just been out for an easy 15 minute stroll after my evening meal - part of my exercise routine.   While I was out I was musing about the benefits of having BHRs on both my hips.    I thought I'd share a few ideas with you all.

I had the first one done in 2004.   From experience, I probably left that one a bit late as I had trouble sleeping through the pain before I had the op.    I had the second one done this March (2008) so I've just gone through the nine month post op stage.

So, what about the benefits for me?

*     Being pain-free is great.  No more waking up in the middle of the night as the pain-killers had worn off.  Even before my second BHR I couldn't walk far.  Even a round trip half a mile for my morning paper could be tough on some days.    Just typing this makes me sigh with satisfaction.    Mind you, I still can get pain in my legs but it is nothing to do with aching hips - just occasionally over-doing it.

*     The simple joy of walking.   If I had to pick only one activity for the rest of my life I'd be quite happy to settle for walking.    I live within half a mile of coastal paths and country lanes.   It is superb to get out there and explore again.   Sometimes I switch the mp3 to play through all my music, other times I just go with my thoughts.   Wonderful !

*     The possibility of running/jogging again.   I've done a few miles "running" now.    At the moment - after a seven year break - it feels clumsy and hard work but I'll perserve for a while.  If I think it is possibly doing any damage I'll stop without regret - walking and pain-free are much higher on my wish list.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

Hope you all have a great Christmas/New Year/Holidays whatever stage of pre-op/op/post-op you are... and thanks for being here.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: The best things....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
Hi Ed

Great post.

Glad you are doing so well with both hips.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »
Great story, Ed.  I've a long way to go to be able to walk again normally, but even at week 2 I'm estatic to be pain free in my hip and like you, looking forward to those walks.

My motivation is that I have a 12 year old boy who is a Boy Scout.  I was a scout as a kid and its the main thing my son and I both love in common, but the hip pain was keeping me from joining him on hikes, I simpily couldn't keep up any more.  I'm looking forward to this summer when I can strap on a light pack and head back out into the wilderness along side my son!

Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
Hi Mudpro

Very best wishes to you with your aim to get out walking with your son.   Sounds superb.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat