+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question/concern: foot redness + Osteopenea/OP  (Read 2454 times)

JimM

Question/concern: foot redness + Osteopenea/OP
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »
Hi...my name is Jim,
3 weeks post-op with Dr. Gross.  Right hip resurfacing.  The head and neck of my femur had lost some bone density so Dr. Gross has me on crutches with 10% weight bearing (toe touch) for 6 weeks.  At that time, if all is well I'll graduate to a cane for a few weeks....water walking, treadmill and a phase two exercises.
I have a couple of concerns:
The muscle(s) on the inside of my thigh (possibly the adductor magnus) is pretty sore.  There is an area that feels like an egg right in the belly of the muscle....It get's pretty sore if I try to rub it out.  The inner thigh doesn't appear to be swollen though!
Also, the skin of my foot and shin looks flush (red) on the resurfaced side compared to the left.  Again, there isn't really any swelling or heat in the ankle or foot though.  When I'm walking with the crutches it can get pretty red looking.  I speculate that it may be due to not walking on it for 3 plus weeks and that it hangs there.  I've elevated the leg more often and increased my exercises to pump the muscles more which has seemed to have made some difference.
I hope these things are a normal part of recovery and not signs of clot formation...
I just don't know and want to be careful so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had similar experience.....with this or the modified recovery regime due to osteopenea/OP? 
Thanks in advance....
Jim
Ps:  Pat, what a great website..Thank you for the vision and effort it took to get it up and running.

obxpelican

Re: Question/concern: foot redness + Osteopenea/OP
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »
Jim,

Just as a precaution, give Lee a call on her cell phone and ask her if it's normal or not.  Don't email her as sometimes over the weekend if she is not near a computer she does not always get back till Sunday.  If Lee does not get back to you call their number and talk to an on call person.

It could be something as simple as a rash, but you want to be sure that it's not an infection or blood clot.  Sometimes it nice to have some peace of mind.

Take your temperature see if it's normal, more often than not if you have an infection your body will run a temp. 

Do you get pain from the area where you feel that egg?

Chuck

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:39:15 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JimM

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »
Hi Chuck,
  I did email Nancy a couple day's ago but haven't heard back from her...holiday and Friday's she's not in. It has been eating at me (not knowing).  I don't have a temp.  I don't have Lee's cell #.
If you have it I would appreciate your passing it on....
Thanks,
Jim

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:44:13 PM »
http://grossortho.com/staff.htm

If you go to that page you'll see Lee's cell number.

I think on your discharge paper there is a number to call if you have problems.  I don't want to alarm you, but since I am not a doctor I would feel better if you get in touch with one.   I would call that number or maybe even call your doctor,  Just in case and you'll feel better, so will I. 

If by some chance it is a blood clot, it's nothing to mess with and you will want to be very proactive.

You're not being a wuss or overreacting by making sure nothing is wrong.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

JimM

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:26:46 AM »
Chuck,
Hey, I'm reallllly glad you were on line and told me to call.  An on call doc called me back within 5 minutes.
He explained that the lump is probably blood draining from the surgery and will disperse in time. The skin flushing is from not using the muscles in my leg (since I'm 10% weight bearing on crutches so long and can also be dispursed blood form the incision (wound) that is draining down the fascia.  All normal happenings post surgery...
So man, Do I feel relieved. 
I see that you had Dr. Gross do your hip as well!  How long ago and how are you doing?
Thank you again Chuck...God bless you!
Jim 

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 01:21:45 AM »
Hi Jim,

Hey I am glad all is well.  Peace of mind is the best pillow.

I am so glad that you responded with exactly what you were told.   By doing so all patients will learn from what you posted.  We've had other patients post problems and even though nobody wants a fellow surface hippy to have problems and everyone learns from the experiences of others, whether they be good or bad.

I had my surgery August 6th.  I am doing well, sometimes, or should I say often I have startup stiffness/minor aches if I've been sitting for a while.  Other than that my right hip (operated one) is the best joint in my body.  I played a lot of sports when I was young, football, wrestling, baseball and a number of other sports that have left my joints very sore at times.  I actually feel better standing now which is a complete opposite of what I used to be.

Please stick around, especially when you're starting to really come around, you are early in rehab right now but things will get a LOT better.  You got operated on by one of the best in this country, actually probably one of the top 10 in the world Jim.  You cannot beat the rest of the Gross crew either.  Nancy, Lee and the rest of Dr. Gross's staff are just downright great folk.

If I may ask, please continue to post your progress and if you see somone post something that sounds like what you've dealt with, please, post a response.  This is a support forum and we need those who have been through it to post their ideas.  We have a lot of  great people on this forum and they are a huge help.  We all need support sometimes and it sure helps when you are being supported by people who have walked the same road we have.

Keep up the great rehab.

Chuck

Chuck,
Hey, I'm reallllly glad you were on line and told me to call.  An on call doc called me back within 5 minutes.
He explained that the lump is probably blood draining from the surgery and will disperse in time. The skin flushing is from not using the muscles in my leg (since I'm 10% weight bearing on crutches so long and can also be dispursed blood form the incision (wound) that is draining down the fascia.  All normal happenings post surgery...
So man, Do I feel relieved. 
I see that you had Dr. Gross do your hip as well!  How long ago and how are you doing?
Thank you again Chuck...God bless you!
Jim 
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat