+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Member - 34 year old Male, both hips shot, have questions!  (Read 4813 times)

Aaronl

New Member - 34 year old Male, both hips shot, have questions!
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Let me start by saying that I've been a frequent visitor of the surfacehippy website and this blog as a guest and I've been very impressed with the amount of informative content and all of the great stories from all of the surfacehippies out there.  I'm a wannabe surface hippy, not by choice though  :)!

Here's my story,

I'm a 34 year old male who has been heavily involved in sports (soccer, basketball, skiing and golf) all of my life and still continue to play these sports (through pain) at a fairly high level.  After soccer league ended couple of summers ago I started to notice some seriouss pain at the top/slightly inside of my upper left quad (is this my Psoas?) and it would fire down through my quad and radiate through my knee when I attempted to lean forward.  This past summer it got to the point where it affected my mobility and I couldn't  bend over far enough to tie my left shoe.  The right side also started hurting quite a bit and I noticed that I was having a harder and harder time making lateral movements (can still go forward and backward pretty well, but, when I extend my legs too far I can really feel a lot of pain in the upper quads). 

I went to the chiropractor for treatment and they took x-rays of my hips and told me I should take them to an orthopaedic surgeon.  You could clearly see that both hip sockets were deformed and that cartilage had been worn away.  The heads of both femurs are not smooth and spherical and the fit, in the sockets, between the femur heads and acetabular cups is very tight (I always knew there was something wrong with my hips because, even as a child, I could never sit indian style or rotate my hips outward as much as other kids).  The surgeon confirmed the problem, stating that I had hip dysplasia and that I'd need THR on both once I couldn't stand the pain anymore. 

Just by looking at the THR implant and listening to him describe how it was implanted, I knew that THR would severely limit my ability to lead an active lifestyle and I'm too young to be reduced to the lifestyle left over after THR.  Shortly after, my brother stumbled across some info regarding the Birmingham Hip and then I started googling it and found the surfacehippy website.  Now, I'm at least optimistic about life after hip surgery.  I do have some questions though and am wondering if any of you can shed some light.

1)  I live in Michigan, but am interested in having Dr. Gross perform my hip resurfacing.  I've tried contacting his assistant once, but, we're playing phone tag.  I know that he is doing a lot of cementless HR's.  Is that a better option for young active people and is the Biomet system as good as the Birmingham?

2)  I've read stories on surface hippy about people who are competing in marathons, triathlons and bike races (Floyd Landis) within a year after surgery, but what about people engaged in sports like soccer and basketball?  I play both at a more intense level (more than recreationally) and would like to still be able to play these sports at a fairly high level after surgery.  Is that possible, because they do both require jumping and quick stopping that puts pressure on hips?

3)  Is it possible/beneficial to have both hips done at the same time, or is that too much for the body to handle?

4)  I'm thinking I can go another year or two before surgery, is there anything I can do to relieve the pain (nerve and muscle) I'm feeling in my quads, inner thigh and upper glutes from now up to surgery?

5)  Is there any new technology coming down the pipeline that would make it worthwhile to try to stick it out through the pain for a while longer?

Happy New year and I look forward to your feedback,

Aaron

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: New Member - 34 year old Male, both hips shot, have questions!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
Hi Aaron - wannabe

Thanks for the kind words about the website.

1. Don't worry about the hip device, the Biomet and BHR are similar.  What is most important is the surgeon placing the device.  Dr. Gross is one of the best in the world.

2. Ask your surgeon what he suggests you can do after one year.  Most will let you do what you want, but understand the more wear and tear on the hip device - the quicker it can be worn out and also possibly destroy the bone growth around the device.  There are many athletes doing about every kind of sport you can think of.  The doctors would rather have you doing less high impact sports, but most athletes do what they want.  I do know of one runner that had to have a revision at 5 years post op and now says he would not have done as much agresssive running. But who knows, even without running - he might have needed a revision.  It is a personal decision on your part as to how hard you want to push your new hip.  Personally I am older and choose to stay conservative, but most young males don't.

3.  Many people have both hips done at the same time.  He depends on the condition of the patient and what surgeon you use.  Not all surgoens will do bilats at the same time.

4.  The only thing you have to watch is that you don't lose the "window of opportunity" for a hip resurfacing.  Get x-rays and a good resurfacing surgeons opinion.  Sometimes pain is not the only indicator of how bad a hip is.  Some people have very bad conditions and not too much pain while others have less problems and a lot of pain.  Pain alone is not the guide to determine if you are ready for a resurfacing.  An experinece surgeon can tell you where you stand.

5. THere is no new technology coming down the road in the near future.  Remember that it took the FDA in the US almost 8 years to approve resurfacing.  So even if there was something - there is not now - it would not show up in the US for many years after overseas doctors were using it.  I think there are experiements to build human cartilage in the hip.  It is being done in animals sucessfully, but humans are a different story. 

You are really young at 34 and need to get good input on which to make your decision.  I would definitely suggest using only the top experienced surgeons if your insurance will allow it.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »

1)  I live in Michigan, but am interested in having Dr. Gross perform my hip resurfacing.  I've tried contacting his assistant once, but, we're playing phone tag.  I know that he is doing a lot of cementless HR's.  Is that a better option for young active people and is the Biomet system as good as the Birmingham?

In my opinion, it does not matter what device as long as the surgeon is well versed in what he/she is doing.  I think the top doctors like Gross could implant a rusty broom handle and make it work well. 

2)  I've read stories on surface hippy about people who are competing in marathons, triathlons and bike races (Floyd Landis) within a year after surgery, but what about people engaged in sports like soccer and basketball?  I play both at a more intense level (more than recreationally) and would like to still be able to play these sports at a fairly high level after surgery.  Is that possible, because they do both require jumping and quick stopping that puts pressure on hips?

Nobody can guarantee results, not even a surgeon.  Many athletes make amazing comebacks and do very well even some impact sports.  If you're in good shape pre-op you have a good chance of doing well.  What I want to caution you on are people who will tell you that miracles are going to happen like you've read of it does not always happen that way.  Pick a good doctor with lots of experience and you stand a very good chance of doing well.  You are smart in trying to find the best route to go.  Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

3)  Is it possible/beneficial to have both hips done at the same time, or is that too much for the body to handle?

If I needed both done, I would do so within either a short time or at the same time.  What is amazing to me are the people (bilats) who do so well when they get them done at the same time.  I salute them for wanting to get them done with.   Some doctors will give you your choice.  Your body will be able to handle a double surgery providing you are in good shape for the surgery.

4)  I'm thinking I can go another year or two before surgery, is there anything I can do to relieve the pain (nerve and muscle) I'm feeling in my quads, inner thigh and upper glutes from now up to surgery?

As a doctor told me, this is not cancer, you are not going to die from it.  Best thing, get the opinion of the best doctor you can find.  I found that Iburprophen and Celebrex helped a lot, but in the end the pain got real bad as I got to be bone on bone.  Make sure not to wait too long as sometimes, rarely it can preclude you from being a good candidate.  Talk to your doctor.

5)  Is there any new technology coming down the pipeline that would make it worthwhile to try to stick it out through the pain for a while longer?

There are some technologies I've heard of but most of them are not even in the testing stage on humans yet, you might want to do some more homework, but I doubt there is anything that will be available in the near future.  Of course I am not a doctor.  Sticking it out too long could cause you to lose the time frame available to do a successful HRS.  Also I've found that in my case and some others that I've read when you start nearing bone on bone end stage you go down hill very quickly.  I would have been in a wheel chair by now, I could only walk 100 yards at a time with a horrendous limp, yes, I was stubborn.

A lot of this all depends on your job and family commitments, how flexible are you if your hips get bad quickly.  Does your job allow you to sit all the time?

Happy New year and I look forward to your feedback,

Aaron

Aaron, welcome to this forum.  You will find we have some of the nicest people around.  You will find that Pat won't push you towards any one doctor or device.  This forum is for support, not to push you to one doctor or another.  Dr. Gross was my surgeon, I was and am VERY happy with Dr. Gross.  You cannot beat Dr. Gross's staff, they are wonderful people.  That is not to say that other doctors would not do an equally good job.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Aaronl

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
Thanks for the quick answers Pat & Chuck, they provided a lot of insight.  I'm going to try to contact Dr. Gross again within the next month to set something up.  Do you know who I should ask for when calling?  Also, would it be beneficial for me to send all of my X-Rays down to them (SC is a long way from MI)?  Finally, I am just about bone-on-bone in the left hip and have noticed a lot more issues on both sides over the last 6 months, so my time might be coming sooner rather than later.

I'm still nowhere near the point of only being able to walk 100 yards.  I'm still moving pretty well, but the pain after exertion is significant and the constant fatigue is also getting to me and is affecting my ability to play with my children, which stinks!

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
Aaron,

Go to http://grossortho.com/staff.htm  Nancy or Lee.  Also, Dr. Gross usually likes to see x-rays and a dexascan to make sure your bone density is ok.  Dexascans are simple and quick to get done.  And yes, they will do phone consults free of charge, make sure to print out questions for when he calls you.

Good luck with those hips.

When your life changes enough that you get tired of sitting things out, then you will decide it's time.  I was a stubborn old mule.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:53:21 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
Hi Aaron

I'd just like to echo one of the points Pat made.  There is a window of opportunity for BHRs.  If you leave it too late the hip may be too far gone to allow a BHR.   It is worth bearing that in mind.

Best wishes for a successful outcome on both hips.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

wayne-0

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »
Hi Aaron,
I had both my hips done at the same time 7 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. All my pain was gone as soon as I woke up from surgery besides being sore from the surgery itself, which for me was not too bad at all. I've been told it is a tougher recovery to do both at the same time but at 7 weeks post op, I'm amazed at what I can do and how good I feel. The first 5 - 8 days were the hardest for me but every day got better and better. Looking back I would definitly do both at the same time again. Good luck and this surgery really works :).
                                                         Wayne   
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

PrairieGirl

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
Hi, Aaron,

I agree. Don't miss your window of opportunity for the hip resurfacing. Along with a good surgeon's advice, you'll know when it's time. You just won't be able to stand the pain anymore. That might be quicker than you think. At least it was for me. Seemed like I was getting along pretty well and then a few weeks later I'd had enough...my quality of life was gone and it was time! Meloxicam (generic version of Mobic) helped me for quite a while before my surgery. Ask your surgeon about it.

Sounds like you're doing your research and you'll be well informed when it's time for new a new hip(s). This website is a wonderful resource.

There is life after bad hips...thanks to hip resurfacing!

PrairieGirl
38 year-old mother of 4 year-old
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

PrairieGirl
Age 38
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

JeanM

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:05 PM »
Hi Aaron,
My advice is to do this surgery sooner rather than later.  I'm 41 and I wish that I had done this at least two years earlier.  When you wait too long, your muscles develop patterns to workaround your pain and compensate for your bad joint.  I'm finding that post surgery my joint feels great.  But, I feel like I still have a lot of work to do around the joint in order to undo 12 years of compensation.  Like you, I experienced my initial pain at a young age.  I was 28 years old and an athlete.  There weren't very many choices available to me at that time.  So, I just managed it for many years.  However, those 12 years have taken a toll on my body in other ways.  So now, my joint feels great.  But, I find that all of the muscles on my left side are stuck in those same patterns of behavior that have become so ingrained over the years.  It's not easy to convince all those muscles that everything is okay now!   Go to the best and most experienced surgeon that you can and go for it. 

Best of Luck!
Jean
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

landaq007

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 01:12:33 PM »
Aaron,
I am also 34 and having both hips replaced by Dr. Gross in February.  You may be aware that they have a protocol set up on Dr. Gross's website for hip candidates.  I put the package together and sent it in and Dr. Gross contacted me to talk it over within a few days.   They have been very helpful.  I have been investigating/(procrastinating) for a few years waiting for resurfacing to come over to the U.S.   I can't wait to get these hips done with Dr. Gross and crew in February '09.   Also, this website has been the single most helpful resource out of all of the articles and things I have clipped over the years.  These folks have been very helpful, beyond my expectations. 
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 05:05:54 PM »
You can't go wrong with Dr. Gross.

I think we have another Gross hippy to be in Feb, Bionic, maybe you two will get your surgeries done the same day.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
That's right.  I'm signed up for a right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on Feb. 11.  I just booked the flight and the hotel.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

dvander

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »
Aaron,

There is that window of opportunity.  There is also the window of mental readiness.  I was blessed to have waited two years longer than I should have and still enjoy my new RBHR (11/18/08).  In retrospect, I am so glad I was mentally ready.  There was no turning back going into the surgery.  Right time, right doctor, right hospital, etc.  It helped greatly during the first few weeks of recovery.

Take all the advice and evidence and go for it.  What I had to finalize in my mind was my hip was NOT going to heal itself.  As they say, now I am 98% natural and 2% metal.  I think the doc who reminded the patient that we don't have cancer and we won't die from it is a good attitude.

Happy research!

Dwight V

mari

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
I am also scheduled with Dr. Gross on Feb 18.  Does anybody know if the nearby hotels offer any kind of discount to patients of Dr. Gross?
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

obxpelican

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »
Courtyard by Marriot right next to the hospital, they are literally right across the parking lot, in fact they kind of share the parking lot.

Make sure to tell them you're a Dr. G patient.

I am remembering $92/night.

Chuck

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:17:10 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
That's right.  The Courtyard Marriott's "hospital rate" is $92/night.  Their number is 803-736-3600.  The person I spoke to at the hospital said it was actually possible to push a wheelchair from the hospital to the hotel.  The room has a king sized bed.  There is only one room; it's not a suite.

The Residence Inn, also run by Marriott, is across the street from the hospital.  It is not possible to wheel there easily.  But, unlike the Courtyard, the Residence Inn includes breakfast. They offered me a hospital rate of $102.  Their number is 803-788-8850.

I chose the Residence Inn because my wife and I will be traveling together and like to eat breakfast.  The extra $10 per day for both of us will probably be worth it (even though I won't be eating there for 3 of the 5 days).  Also, I think you get a little more space.  The Residence Inn is a 1-bedroom suite that includes a separate room with a kitchenette and sofabed.  The bed in the bedroom is queen sized.

Lee Webb recommended the Residence Inn in her email to me explaining the out-of-town protocol.  Also, John from Thorhill recommended the Residence over the Marriott here: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=920.0

On the other hand, Charlene in Dr. Gross's office told me the Courtyard was recently redone and is beautiful.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:15:04 PM by Bionic »
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

mari

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »
Thank you so much, Chuck and Bionic, for the information and your prompt replies.  I will discuss it with my husband and we will go from there...
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:42 PM »
Hi Future Gross Surface Hippies

I just wanted to say I wish everyone good luck with their upcoming surgeries.  Dr. Gross and Lee Webb are the best.  There are so many happy Gross HR patients.   You will be in good hands and be telling us your recovery stories soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
That's right.  The Courtyard Marriott's "hospital rate" is $92/night.  Their number is 803-736-3600.  The person I spoke to at the hospital said it was actually possible to push a wheelchair from the hospital to the hotel.  The room has a king sized bed.  There is only one room; it's not a suite.

The Residence Inn, also run by Marriott, is across the street from the hospital.  It is not possible to wheel there easily.  But, unlike the Courtyard, the Residence Inn includes breakfast. They offered me a hospital rate of $102.  Their number is 803-788-8850.

I chose the Residence Inn because my wife and I will be traveling together and like to eat breakfast.  The extra $10 per day for both of us will probably be worth it (even though I won't be eating there for 3 of the 5 days).  Also, I think you get a little more space.  The Residence Inn is a 1-bedroom suite that includes a separate room with a kitchenette and sofabed.  The bed in the bedroom is queen sized.

Lee Webb recommended the Residence Inn in her email to me explaining the out-of-town protocol.  Also, John from Thorhill recommended the Residence over the Marriott here: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=920.0

On the other hand, Charlene in Dr. Gross's office told me the Courtyard was recently redone and is beautiful.

The Residence sounds like a good deal, we have always enjoyed the courtyards, but then the Residence is on the same side of the road as Long's drugs.  Both of you will be given projects to do the day before surgery to keep you busy, like for one to go and pickup your meds from Longs drugs.

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:51:12 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Hi Future Gross Surface Hippies

I just wanted to say I wish everyone good luck with their upcoming surgeries.  Dr. Gross and Lee Webb are the best.  There are so many happy Gross HR patients.   You will be in good hands and be telling us your recovery stories soon.

Pat

Yes, I second that Pat.... I want to especially read that character "Bionic" guys recovery story.   ;D    He better behave for Dr. G and Lee or I'll tell his wife on him.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM