+-

Advertisement

Poll

Did you have clunking or clicking post op?

I had clunking after surgery
122 (34.6%)
The clunking stopped after 3 months
9 (2.5%)
The clunking stopped after 6 months
11 (3.1%)
The clunking has never stopped
40 (11.3%)
The clunking did not cause pain
95 (26.9%)
Clunking is worse after strenuous activities
19 (5.4%)
I had no clunking at any time
57 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 225

Author Topic: Clunking and Clicking Poll  (Read 46172 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Clunking and Clicking Poll
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »
People have asked that I post a poll about clunking. 

It is a common occurence for many patients post op.  Normally, it is felt and maybe heard, but causes no pain.  The general reason for clunking is that the muscles around the new hip device are weak.  Eventually the muscles heal and the clunking is gone. Occasionally, some people will feel the clunking long after their recovery during a certain activity or position, but it is very rare for most people.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:01:35 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

embcrna05

Re: Clunking and Clicking Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »
Hi Pat,
I read your poll about clunking.  My husband has had NO clunking or clicking, but that is not listed as a choice.  He will be 2 weeks postop this upcoming Monday.   He is doing remarkably well.  Just says it feels like a charlie horse when he walks around.  It is simply amazing.  Thanks, again, for this wonderful website.
Eileen

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
Hi Eileen

Thanks for the note. I added a selection to the poll that says - I had no clunking at any time.

Now you can add your hubby's info to the poll.

Tell you husband to give himself time to heal. All the problems eventually work out for most people. He will really be amazed this summer when he is running around!

Good Luck. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:38:49 AM »
14 weeks and the clunking is tapering off. Still there but becoming less frequent.  At least it doesn't freak me out now, I've gotten used to it.
It does seem to come in waves though, it will click and knock quite a bit for a day or two and then hardly at all for a few days. 

rboehmer

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
I get the occasional clunk when I twist my upper body, and when I'm stretching in the pool. But it doesn't hurt at all. I'm only at 24 days post-op, so don't know if it will continue.

- Ray

swedish hippy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:46:42 AM »
I too have occasionally clunking...when I sort of bend forward at a tilt...but it never hurts and I am now 5 months post op. :)
Walking is heaven on earth.

PrairieGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
I've had my BHR for 7 weeks today. My clunking story is similar to most posted here. Clunking or popping began about 2 weeks and was fairly frequent. At 7 weeks it clunks occasionally, but much less frequently. There has been no pain associated with the clunk. Asked my doctor about it last week at my 6 week checkup. He wasn't concerned since there was no pain. He said they believe the clunk is caused by a ligament slipping back and forth over the prosthesis and should go away with time.

Prairie Girl
Age 38
Left BHR Nov. 16, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook
Shawnee Mission Medical Center
PrairieGirl
Age 38
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

Todd

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
I've had some clunking from time to time in these first 2 weeks.  For me it's been a similar experience to having ligaments in the ankle stretching and sliding over the bone.  Not too concerned as it is not painful.  Seems more prevelant after working the new hip.
todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Grimbo

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 03:46:48 AM »
Hi,

I have just started to clunk after 7 weeks... Is this normal?

Thanks

Graeme

JohnS

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
Graeme,
From what Iread here, nothing is normal and everyone seems to have different things happen a different times.  My clunking started pretty much right away.  Now it doesn't happen often.  I can make it happen regularly if I do a kind of slow hula-hoop motion.  No pain though.
JohnS
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

Bionic

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »
My guess, Graeme, for what it's worth, is that you're challenging your new hip in ways you may not even aware of.  Each new level of recovery brings with it a new array of symptoms.  Unless you think something has shifted out of position, I would think it's probably nothing to worry about.

About a year ago I started PT to help me deal with my arthritis.  To my surprise (and to that of my PT), my healthy left hip would clunk every time I did a leg lift.  Meanwhile, my affected, arthritic hip was quiet.  In my case, I think it was a tendon or ligament (maybe the psoas tendon) suddenly shifting under tension from one side of the joint to the other.  It felt almost like a bass guitar string being plucked.  It still does it.  It's just something I've gotten used to.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Hi,

I have just started to clunk after 7 weeks... Is this normal?

Thanks

Graeme
I've clunked from the beginning but it has lessened with time, but I still clunk once in a while at 7 weeks.  Notice it maybe 1 - 3 times a day.
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 05:22:36 AM »
I saw my doc Tuesday for my 6 week check up. I menitioned the popping and clicking that was going on in my new hip. It doesn't hurt at all. It almost feels like cracking a knuckle. The xrays were perfect, so nothing has moved. He thinks the clunking is caused by some slight impingement brought on by specific movements. I tend to clunk when I am changing position or direction. Dr. Mayman said that the impingement can cause the ball to lever out of the socket just a millimeter or 2. The clicking noise is the ball snapping back into the socket. As the surrounding muscle structure strengthens, and is capable of holdong things together more strongly, the clunking should go away.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:23:35 AM by kwarendorf »

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
I am only Day 11 post op on Right and Day 8 on left and I haven't noticed any sounds from the new hips.  Is it an actual metallic sound or is it more of a feeling of movement in hip?
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

karenj_m

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
Clunking is a "sensation".

When you move in certain positions (everyone's different on what positions), it feels like a clunk clunk, like something heavy is separating from another part and then going back into that part....I've never had a noise with that sensation.

But as your muscles get back in shape and stronger, the sensation is less and less.

I believe almost every resurfacing patient has felt this sensation - some more, some less.

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

landaq007

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:58 AM »

BTW, thanks Karen for your list of what to expect from the Dr. Gross surgery! That is a good comprehensive list of what to expect.  I remember reading that shortly after surgery and it eased my mind about the clunking sensation.  I have it still occasionally and am still within 8-weeks post-op.  However I dont really think about it anymore when it happens since I am aware of it being normal.  Oh and never any pain with it...

...Though when I was between Right and Left surgeries in the hospital shower, I did this pre-op twist thing I used to do to "pop" my hips -- an unconscious habit. I did it without even thinking and immediately thought I just messed up bad  :o  :-[ .  I felt that clunking and that time it was a faster "clap" between the two pieces with a blunt metal-to-metal "ping" to it - like if you were to briskly stick two of those large metal stress-balls together.  That freaked me out.  So after Dr. Gross looked at it and everything was still fine I attributed most of the panic to over-reaction and a pain-med induced imagination.  After that I was "walking on eggshells" to be careful  :D
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

karenj_m

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
I'm glad the list helped to reassure you landaq007....

Its good to see you coming along....and please don't "pop" your hips in the shower anymore....jeese that scared me when you said that  :o

I still feel clunking sensations (but not as much), but my muscles, tendon, etc where crap (not being used) prior to this wonderful surgery....but NO PAIN AT ALL!!! NO MORE HIP PAIN! WOO-HOO!

Try to go easy with sleeping on a side...when you do this are you stuffing pillows between your legs first and moving as one unit?

Just make sure to protect your hips...its better to be a little cautious in the beginning while everything is trying to heal. It sounds like your coming along very well. Are you doing your phase I or Phase II home PT?

BTW, thanks Karen for your list of what to expect from the Dr. Gross surgery! That is a good comprehensive list of what to expect.  I remember reading that shortly after surgery and it eased my mind about the clunking sensation.  I have it still occasionally and am still within 8-weeks post-op.  However I dont really think about it anymore when it happens since I am aware of it being normal.  Oh and never any pain with it...

...Though when I was between Right and Left surgeries in the hospital shower, I did this pre-op twist thing I used to do to "pop" my hips -- an unconscious habit. I did it without even thinking and immediately thought I just messed up bad  :o  :-[ .  I felt that clunking and that time it was a faster "clap" between the two pieces with a blunt metal-to-metal "ping" to it - like if you were to briskly stick two of those large metal stress-balls together.  That freaked me out.  So after Dr. Gross looked at it and everything was still fine I attributed most of the panic to over-reaction and a pain-med induced imagination.  After that I was "walking on eggshells" to be careful  :D
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

landaq007

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
Try to go easy with sleeping on a side...when you do this are you stuffing pillows between your legs first and moving as one unit?

Just make sure to protect your hips...its better to be a little cautious in the beginning while everything is trying to heal. It sounds like your coming along very well. Are you doing your phase I or Phase II home PT?

Thanks Karen. Yes I do move them as one unit with the pillow between the legs.  I am doing the phase 2 home exercises now.  I feel really good now and I am taking it easy activity-wise for the next few months.  I have to consciously remind myself that I just had surgery -- and thankfully everyone around me reminds me too!  That is how well I have recovered!
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

the flash

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 08:23:44 PM »
 ::)
Hi, I am 12 weeks post op and get a clunking a few times a day.  My PT almost had a heart attack when he twisted my leg and heard and felt a big clunck.  It may be good as it is a reminder of what we have in our body and to be careful.

The Flash

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »
I am only Day 11 post op on Right and Day 8 on left and I haven't noticed any sounds from the new hips.  Is it an actual metallic sound or is it more of a feeling of movement in hip?

I spoke too soon.  About week 4 I started feeling the clunking and it still continues.  It doesn't hurt and I guess I am getting used to it.
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz