4 (2.3%)
Squeals with I am very active
7 (4.1%)
Squeals when I am dehydrated
5 (2.9%)
Definitely needs a lub job
6 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Squealing Poll  (Read 28109 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Squealing Poll
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »
Some people have had loud squealing from their hips.  According to those people, it is a loud squeal that could be heard thru the house.  Some have experienced it when climbing stairs, some experienced it when they have become dehydrated and very active.  Many only had the experience one time while others seem to have it occur now and then.

It is normally thought that the hip device squeals because it is not lubricated enough - just like a dry bearing.  Unfortunately, we can't oil our hips so it is important to remain hydrated during strenuous activities.

If you have had squealing happen to you, share you experience with others.  I am sure it can be quite suprising to hear a loud squeal from your hip!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dvander

Re: Squealing Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
Good post.  Glad to know ahead of time of this happening.  It would send me into panic mode without this knowledge.

Thanks!

Dwight V
11/18/08  RBHR

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
I deal with the clunking issue but not any squeeling! 

Bionic

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
A friend who had resurfacing done 3 years ago told me he had had a squeak.  It lasted for about 2 days and went away.  His doctor's explanation was that a small piece of soft tissue had gotten between the components and temporarily threw off their alignment.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

Timbo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:11:21 PM »
My hip squeeks like a rusty hinge, for a few movements, after I ice down. I think it is a reaction to the metal in the hip perhaps contracting with the cold from the ice. Doesn't hurt but when my wife hears it she was frieked out but now is just amazed.

Also, slightly squeeks sometimes in the morning when I get out of bed.

I guess it is just one of the wonderful side benefits of this procedure.

As you all know, going through airport security is another treat. My family just stands and watches, and sometimes laughs, as I go through the procedure. Almost had to take my pants off one time to satisfy the security person. That card they give is kind of useless as they do not believe you.

But it is better than before the procedure. Nothing like your orginal parts though.

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
I am about 14 days post op on my right and 11 days on my left and I have yet to hear any noise from either.
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

fenceman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »
After 3-1/2 years I had first noise from hip.  Just woke up and bent over at waist to get tooth brush from lower drawer and my hip squeaked when i stood up.  It was just loud enough to hear but it was a big surprise.  I was very active the day before and wonder if that was part of the cause.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

stevel

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »
I also had squeaking for the first time at 2 1/2 years post-op.  I was very active hunting grouse hiking in the snow and alpine all day and heard a couple of squeaks when I crossed logs at the end of the day.  When I rose from bed in the middle of the night and the next morning, I heard a squeak each time.
Then at 3 years post-op after climbing the alpine with a heavy pack to hunt elk, I heard several squeaks as I was dressing out the elk and moving about the animal.
It squeaked a few times when I packed the elk out but otherwise I haven't heard any since.
I attribute it to the rigorous exercise and possible dehydration.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

donna541

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »
My husband is about 3 1/2 years post-op and experiences squeaking almost daily.  It is always worse after climbing stairs/ladders, but that doesn't always seem to be the cause. He also has popping/clunking.  He has had these noises almost since day 1 post-op.  The doctor seems confused, but x-rays show nothing unusual or out of place.  He does not have any pain related to the noises. Has anyone had luck with glucosamine or other "joint lubrication" supplement?

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
My husband is about 3 1/2 years post-op and experiences squeaking almost daily.  It is always worse after climbing stairs/ladders, but that doesn't always seem to be the cause. He also has popping/clunking.  He has had these noises almost since day 1 post-op.  The doctor seems confused, but x-rays show nothing unusual or out of place.  He does not have any pain related to the noises. Has anyone had luck with glucosamine or other "joint lubrication" supplement?

Hi Donna, welcome to the site, good of you to check for your guy. I haven't had any squeaking yet definitely have had clunking and still do some times, some folks have squeaking, usually after strenuous activity and maybe dehydration. Maybe check that he's got enough hydration? See if that helps.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:01:19 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

patm

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
I am only 9 weeks post-op, but no squealing - have some clunking, but no squeals.

Gazza2

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
7 months out no squeaks, squeals or clunks at all -  I was thinking I might be missing out ;-) 
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »
7 months out no squeaks, squeals or clunks at all -  I was thinking I might be missing out ;-)

Hey, how's the IT band feeling?

Gazza2

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 09:01:15 AM »

Hey, how's the IT band feeling?
[/quote]

All good using the foam roller weekly or whenever the hip feels sore after I have been overdoing it.
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

patm

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
I am almost 4 months out and just heard some squeeking today- took me a while to figure out it was my hip because I couldn't "feel it" like you usually do with a noise that originates inside your body. At first I thought it was my shoes, but I finally took them off and walked around with my husband following and listening and sure enough that airy/ squeaky sound was coming from ME! I haven't drank as much water as I normally do , and did take a hike today- so maybe that was it- sure is weird

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Dehydration could have done it. I'd step up on the water.

RES

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
I am an active biker, first time I squeeked, was 4th day in a 7 day ride, averging 70 miles per day, too much beer, not enough water, has happened twice since, extended workouts, multiple days, over hydrate!
Rich Stroot
RT: 1/11/2007
Lt:  11/4/2013

Doctor Shock

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:45 AM »
Happened to me for the first time tonight!  (I had bilateral BHR with Dr. Su in 2008 and have had great results)  With all my weight on my right leg, I twisted to pull off my left sock and there was a clearly audible squeal from my right hip.  There was no pain whatsoever.  It freaked me out, and of course I came straight here to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

It's certainly reassuring to know that others have had this without adverse sequelae.  I'll hydrate and continue to go hard. 

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Sounds like the right response and welcome to the site!

Bryan712

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »
Good Grief WD-40 needed today.  From reading this thread it seems that maybe I need to drink more?? Squatting about 230 yesterday and today I noticed when putting all my weight on operated hip very loud squealing, catching feeling, no pain but weirded my co-workers out, when weight is distributed evenly on both legs it disappears.. ???

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear