+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral Hip Resurface- High Metal levels and pain in 1 hip  (Read 11220 times)

stacky

Hi Everyone

I have used this site for several years now and never posted.  Firstly I wanted to thank everyone on here who have, without knowing it, helped me understand the pros and cons of Hip resurfacing and the reality of the recovery.

A little bit about me, I am 25 years old and had hip pain and surgery the majority of my life.  I was born with dislocated hips that were corrected when I was 6 months old.  I was than a normal active child until I had increasing levels of pain in both my hips from about 9 years old.  After a year of the GP telling my parents that it was growing pains, eventually my parents took me to A&E during one of my bad nights and I was finally diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia a few months later.

From the age of 10 onwards I have had several surgeries on both hips, including Triple Pelvic Osteotomies (think thats spelt right)!  At 18 I thought I had had my last for several years, hopefully decades.  By my early 20's though the pain was back.  This turned out that although my alignment was now better, my hips were rubbing still and the damage I already had meant a resurface or THR was my only option.  I always knew this would be the case, however I did think that it would be at least in my late 30's and that I would have been able to have had a family before then.

The decision to go ahead with a metal on metal hip resurface on my left side was difficult, it was through support of my friends and family and belief in the surgical team at the hospital I have been going to for many years, along with the advice I found through this site, that led me to have this done in May 2010.  In the first year post op I had to have part of my illiac crest removed as it was restricting my movement with the new joint.  Since then my left hip (which strangley has always been my worst hip until now), has been doing well. 

The next hit came when I realised that my Right hip wasn't handling the Physio sessions for my left side, I had to go back to hydrotherapy and the pain was still unmanageable.  In August 2011 I agreed to have my right hip resurfaced.  This was a scary decison as there is not much evidence to support the effects of metal ions on pregnancies etc and having 2 metal on metal implants worried me for the furture.  However I was advised it was the best thing for me and the pain I was experiencing was not bearable (as I am sure you can all relate to).

The reason I am now posting for the 1st time on here is because since November I have had increased pain in my Right hip along with clunking and swelling.  The pain is pretty much as severe as it was prior to my surgery.  Initially my consultant beleived I needed my Psoas tendon releasing however last Thursday he confirmed that the ultra sound showed no pressure on this tendon and the metal levels in my blood are way too high, even for have both hips resurfaced.

This has now meant that I am looking at having a total hip replacement before the end of this year.    I am finding it difficult to get my head around this and wondering if any of you can advise on how you coped with going from a resurface to THR? Is there much difference in recovery? I am nervous to make this step and really want some answers as to why or how this could have happened.  I am being sent to another consultant for a 2nd opinion and for a CT as the xrays are showing up normal, but have been told that we may not get an exact answer as to why this resurface has failed, but not the left.  one of my concerns is that the issue may be connected to my existing hip dysplasia condition, so therefore even a ceramic hip replacement may not solve the problem? has anyone else with Hip Dysplasia had problems with hip resurfacing?

I know obviously that you guys on this site cant answer most my questions or make the situation go away, I suppose im just looking for some support and confidence that my left side will not fail now 2 years in and converting to a THR on my right will help.  My family and firends are brilliant and I am so lucky to have them, I just worry about how all of this effects them and try not to share all of my concerns as I dont want them to worry anymore than they alreday do.  They're so used to me being able to deal with this, but I just feel like the whole thing has worn me down, to the point that I am not sure I can actually cope with another surgery and another recovery period.  Has anyone else felt like this? How did you fnd the strength to go through everything again?

Sorry to have rambled slightly, just wanted to thank you all for sharing your stories, it helps to know that im not the only person who lives with pain day in day and out and then has had to face the disapointment of a treatment that seems to work for so many other people fail for you.

Any advice/ support would be greatly appreciated
 :)

Stacy :)

hernanu

Re: Bilateral Hip Resurface- High Metal levels and pain in 1 hip
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
Hi stacky, really sorry to hear about this. There are some folks here who have had issues with an improperly set device with ensuing problems.

One thing you might try, just to get a good perspective on where you are is to send your XRays and other results to the doctors in the doctors list here who are willing to give their opinion on the setting / location / angle of your device without charge. They are some of the best in the world and can give you their opinion on the placement of your device and what ought to be done.

Hopefully some of our revision hippies can check in and let you know what their results were. Several checked in after and were doing well with their THRs. Good luck.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

stacky

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »
Thank you Hernanu

Do you know how I get copies of my xrays in the UK? I didnt even know you could do this?

Stacy

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
Don't know about the UK, but here in the States, I called the surgeon's office and asked them to send me the XRays in digital format. They sent me a CD with the XRays on them within a week. I also asked for them at pretty much each visit (just curious and pushy) to the surgeon's office, in some cases they had them by the time I left, others they mailed them to me.

Here you have a right to all of your information, so they are required to provide it, but my surgeon had no problem with it. You can then take those pictures and attach them to an email to the different surgeons from here. Pat has an entire procedure for it.

The more information you can include with your tests, the better, but check on the site for Pat's guidelines to give you direction on how to send it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
I bet Danny could tell you.  Like Hern says, if you can get those images on a cd, you can make copies and send them to some of the really experienced HR surgeons.  Hopefully they can give some ideas on what to do.  Sorry about your situation.

I don't think there is much difference with recovery from THR or HR.  Although each case is a little different, and it sounds like yours is not a common situation like many of us who went from FAI to full-on OA by grinding our hips down over the years.  Certainly doing major reconstrution of the hip will require a longer and more restrictive recovery.  You might check in the THR forum here.  Good luck     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

stacky

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
Thank you both for your help and advice.  Hope you both are doing well

This website is a really great place to connect

Stacy  :)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
Getting x rays in the uk is dead simple. Write to the hospital and request them under the freedom of information act. There will be a small admin fee normally around a tenner :)
Hope this helps
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

stacky

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
Thank you Danny! I had no idea you could do that.

Stacy  :)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Anytime stacy if I can help you in ANYWAY please just drop me a pm.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Toontowngal

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 08:14:53 PM »
I have dysplasia and had Birmingham on one and total hip replacement on the other. Ive had issues with both

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat